Sign in with
Your question

First Time Build - Suggestions $1000

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2010 4:30:23 AM

Okay, I've done about 2 weeks of researching and think I have a good idea of what I want. I included a screenshot of my newegg wishlist. If anyone could take a look at it and see if I can get more bang for my buck somewhere.

Here is what I plan on buying. If it means anything I'll be buying about one piece a week, I can't afford to get everything all at once, it is my first project.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj178/szarach/wishlist.png

A few questions:

1) Is this power supply good enough to handle this?
2) Should I buy an aftermarket heatsink?
3) Is there anything I'm missing other then an OS?
October 14, 2010 4:37:53 AM

The power supply is fine, 500W is generally the entry zone amount for a decent single card. Your going to need two SATA cables, one for HDD, and one for DVD drive, your motherboard might come with some, check. AS for the heatsink, it's always a good idea to think about going after market with those, the boxed one is generally decent but if you want better performance and cooler readings i'd do some research on a separate one.

Also I'm guessing you have a monitor?
m
l
October 14, 2010 4:49:49 AM

Yeah I have a monitor and speakers.

m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2010 4:52:09 AM

From what i see your options aren't bad, it should let you play most games at high settings, did you look into combo deals? Also may i ask what games you are building for?

Ahh i didn't notice it was a budget PSU, yeah follow the recommendations on that below.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 14, 2010 4:52:14 AM

Actually, I am wondering why you chose that PSU. Its a cheapo unit. It may be rated at 600W, but that doesn't mean it will actually supply that much power and it certainly doesn't mean this will be clean, solid power. Don't skimp on your PSU, you will regret it.
Look at quality models from Antec, Corsair, PCp&C, Enermax.

2 reasons for an aftermarket heat sink-
1) Quieter- oem HSF use small fans running at high rpms (3000-3500rpm) which=noise. HSF with larger fans such 92mm or 120mm can move as much or more air at a much slower speed.
2) Overclocking- The stock heatsink will eliminate heat just fine for normal operating conditions, but you really need a better, more powerful and efficient cooler for any overclocking attempts.
m
l
October 14, 2010 4:57:08 AM

xurbanx said:
From what i see your options aren't bad, it should let you play most games at high settings, did you look into combo deals? Also may i ask what games you are building for?

I'm actually not building it for any specific games. I just want a decent rig that will last me a couple years. I play WoW occasionally, thats the reason why I went with a decent keyboard/mouse combo. I may skimp on the keyboard and mouse and pick up a better power supply after reading Buzznuts comments. Now that I think of it, I don't need a g15 and it will help me elsewhere.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 14, 2010 4:59:40 AM

BTW, if you're paying $70 for the WD blue HD, you should get the black edition instead. the blue drives only carry a 3 year warranty. The blacks carry a 5 year warranty, plus they're faster. The 640GB black drive has been an enthusiast favorite for quite some time.
However if I was buying today, I'd go for the Samsung F3 1 TB drive for 60 bucks. much better deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 14, 2010 4:59:46 AM

Well if you have the money go for a higher end psu like said by Buzz, preferably corsair. Also as for the g15, it's actually a very nice keyboard for WoW, lot's of key binds to use. It's ultimately up to you. If you have the money I'd keep the keyboard instead of downgrading. But you'll definitely want that better quality PSU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 14, 2010 5:02:19 AM

I have a g11 I picked up for under $50 at target. Get the mx518, you won't regret it-by far best budget gaming mouse.

That really isn't a bad price for the g15, but I can see where your money could be spent better elsewhere.
m
l
October 14, 2010 5:05:10 AM

I think I'll go for a budget keyboard/mouse combo, switch harddrives to the samsung 1tb, and switch power supplies, this will keep me right where I want to be, eventually I'll upgrade the mouse/keyboard or maybe I can con the gf into making it my christmas present.

How is this power supply? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 14, 2010 5:11:30 AM

Well, that's certainly a better supply, even if you decide to crossfire later. One could say its a bit of overkill, but I think its a fine choice. I prefer modular supplies myself, Corsair believes that is another point of possible failure so they don't do modular. I hate the cable mess cuz I mod my cases and show off the interior.

I like your idea, Xmas is right around the corner and good deals will be coming ala black friday. ;D
m
l
October 14, 2010 5:14:37 AM

This is my first time building a pc, and really just discovered newegg. Do they usually have a black friday / cyber monday sale also?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 14, 2010 5:25:35 AM

Yes, they do. Newegg is the best for PC parts, but sometimes you can find better deals elsewhere. However you won't find better service, esp if something goes wrong.

I got a Antec 900 case w a 600W PSU for $100 off, $200 instead of $300. You might find a better deal, but not on this quality of components/
m
l
October 14, 2010 5:27:52 AM

I appreciate the help. I'm going to avoid the red light fan, I really like the Blue HaF case and It wouldn't mesh well at all. Trying to keep it all blue, I know that sounds stupid, but I want it to have a little bit of a wow factor to it.

But thanks for all the advice, I think I have enough to go on, you guys answered all the questions I had. Appreciate the quick help.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 14, 2010 5:54:20 AM

shaun11 said:
I appreciate the help. I'm going to avoid the red light fan, I really like the Blue HaF case and It wouldn't mesh well at all. Trying to keep it all blue, I know that sounds stupid, but I want it to have a little bit of a wow factor to it.

But thanks for all the advice, I think I have enough to go on, you guys answered all the questions I had. Appreciate the quick help.

np GL
m
l
!