[CPU] looking for new proc

switch_foot4

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I don't know much about computers other then the general knowledge someone who uses one everyday would have.

I currently have an HP (HPE-210f) http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02016429&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&key=null&product=4160012#N67

I'm looking to put a faster processor in my computer and am not sure what to buy or what socket type and all that jazz. Can anyone reccomend a good processor? I don't need top of the line but I want something that's going to be relatively fast 6 months from now. The link above has my motherboard specifications in it.

switch_foot4

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Well I play a bit of WoW and I wanted to get a smoother framerate. Not to mention there's some great games coming out this year, and I like to upgrade in advance. I have GTX 460 1MB already and 8 GB of ram, so I thought my processor would be the next weak point. Is 400 MHZ noticeable?

The CPU you have is plenty fine for most gaming scenarios. You will be MUCH better off to sell your GTX 460 and get a higher end gaming card. Drop in a GTX 570 or ATI 6950 and do a BIOS hack and convert it into a 6970.

I would advise a better power supply to go along with that new video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&cm_re=corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-004-_-Product

You wont benefit much with a CPU upgrade. It would require you to change your motherboard to support a Sandy Bridge Intel CPU or an AMD Bulldozer CPU and I don't feel that its worth it right now. Being that Bulldozer isn't available yet and there are limited SB CPUs available, you really don't have much upgrade options to go to.

Dump all of your upgrade $$$ into the PSU and video card upgrades. You can sell your GTX 460 on ebay to recover some of your upgrade cost...

switch_foot4

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
okay thats some good advice. i actually already upraded my power supply when i put in this gtx460 to this one

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I know this has become off-topic now but - how much of a difference is there between the 460 and the 570? (I've always gone with nvidia, dont really even know why)

If you already had an sli motherboard that would've been the direction I would've suggested in the beginning. But since you don't, then you will be much better off getting the 570 and selling the 460.

Your psu will be fine with running the 570.

Currently its too late for me to dig up a comparison chart. I'm sure someone here will help...