Same price, different specs... which one

Solution
If you want to overclock your RAM then you might as well get a set rated for faster speeds or low voltage if you find a well priced set. If you make a mistake with standard RAM and manage to damage your modules then the warranty is almost certainly void for overclocking. A kit rated for faster speeds is the best option if you have little experience and are dead set on overclocking the RAM.

There tends to be little difference with faster RAM and the greatest difference is the jump to DDR3 1600. Honestly though anything above DDR3 1600 tends to be more expensive and not worth the price for slight performance improvements unless you do something that makes use of better RAM.

If you were wondering, no faster RAM doesn't effect gaming...
The set on the right is much better. Timings are based on the speed of the RAM because they are in numbers of clock cycles and the faster RAM has more clock cycles in a second so e higher number can be the same/greater speed.

The speed of RAM is hardly noticeable as is the timings so it doesn't really matter but the set on the right is the same price and faster so it's a better buy.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
It depends on the system and what you intend to do with it. The difference between the two would hardly be noticeable in most cases, but I would go with the 1333MHz. So that's 2 votes for 1333MHz at CL9.

I'd wait and see what some other people have to say, but my position stands. If it was me I would go with the 1333MHz at CL9.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
i disagree. the 133mhz difference is way too small than having tight timings. the set on the left is at 7-7-7-24, vice 9-9-9-27, leaving you much higher oc potential. you could probably even keep the same timings and bump your speed to match the other set. i know we all say "but im not going to OC" and that only works for a bit, then the itch for speed and glory begin and the we MUST OC!!!!

Furieux

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

I was thinking the same. I've read somewhere that tight timing is more important than speed.... I might overclock but i'm not very good at it.

My processor is overclocked from 2.8 ghz to 3.2 but it was done automatically by the mobo.... just by turning a switch on :p So i'm not very comfortable in going into the bios to OC the ram but if I can do it with the software that my mobo came with, why not ! :p

If you want to overclock your RAM then you might as well get a set rated for faster speeds or low voltage if you find a well priced set. If you make a mistake with standard RAM and manage to damage your modules then the warranty is almost certainly void for overclocking. A kit rated for faster speeds is the best option if you have little experience and are dead set on overclocking the RAM.

There tends to be little difference with faster RAM and the greatest difference is the jump to DDR3 1600. Honestly though anything above DDR3 1600 tends to be more expensive and not worth the price for slight performance improvements unless you do something that makes use of better RAM.

If you were wondering, no faster RAM doesn't effect gaming unless you intend to use the integrated GPU of an AMD Fusion processor.

Solution