Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade time ssd?

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2011 1:14:40 AM

Hi everybody. im coming into a little bit of extra cash soon, im debating whether or not to get an ssd. what do you think is the best upgrade to buy. I know that ssd's are fast but i also know they have thier limitations. I play alot of games on pc. I usually go thru 7 to 10 a year and i reformat once a year. I know that raptors are also an option. But i hear theres alot more that can go wrong with performance drives. I got 300 bucks to blow. Heres what i have/

Asus sabertooth x58
gtx 470
6gb ddr3
650 watt corsair psu
320gb western digital hdd
storm scout case.

The practical side of me wants to wait on an ssd because they are still maturing but i funds to blow on hardware that will become obsolete in a year.. thanks !!

More about : upgrade time ssd

January 9, 2011 1:49:43 AM

if you want to get an SSD the OCZ Vertex 2 drives are well regarded and a 120GB drive costs about $220. SSDs are maturing at a pretty good rate, and in my opinion are worth getting if you value performance enough to spend the money.
m
l
January 9, 2011 2:00:13 AM

Quote:
How does 1.28TB of capacity and up to 640MB/s read transfer rates for $172 sounds to you? That’s what you’ll get with four SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4

Hmmm, I generally like the idea of RAID, but I've heard enough about enough people having problems with it that I'm kind of leery of it. 4 drives in RAID 0 means that only one out of the four hdds has to fail in order for all the data to be lost. Plus I'm not sure a RAID 0 array can match the 4K random read/write throughput and IOPS that a SSD offers, both of which are major factors in OS and application loading times.
m
l
January 16, 2011 12:58:59 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I decided that im not ready for an ssd. I might wait another year and see how ssd's mature. and i would have to upgrade my psu if i want to go sli on my gtx 470. I figure i might just raid 0 a couple of 7200 rpm drives. I got a western digital 320gb drive at the moment.
m
l
!