Sign in with
Your question

A display adapter has stopped working and recovered. **Please help me*

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2010 5:31:53 PM

I have recently bought a new GTX 460 and 600W PSU to go with it. I have been playing Star Craft II on max settings and Bad Company 2 on max settings with no problems. When I play Dawn of War II sometimes my screen will go black and I will get a message saying "A display adapter has stopped working and recovered". Then my screen returns to normal and I can continue playing. Does this mean by GPU is defective? It only happens when I play Dawn of War II. I monitored the temp using Nvidia Monitor and it stays around 65c while I play DOW, which is not overheating as far as I know.

Here is a pic of the inside of my case if that helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/beatboxer203/001...

My computer is an XPS 420 and my specs are:

Windows Vista 32-bit
4 GB RAM
XPS 460
Q6600

I have shown that picture before on this forum asking if this setup would cause overheating problems and I was told it would not. As I said earlier, my card doesn't appear to be overheating either from the readings I get from Nvidia Monitor. I don't know what to do please help. I made a tech support thread on Dawn of War II forums and a developer from that game told me my card may be defective and I may have to replace it, but I don't understand why it only happens on that game. I should also mention with my previous card, the 8800GT I did not have this issue. I also have the latest driver for this card. the developer also told me that other customers using the GTX 460 have not been reporting problems.
August 28, 2010 6:27:23 PM

Please help me this is so frustrating. I paid so much for this and I was so excited to use it only to have these errors occur.
m
l
August 28, 2010 7:14:52 PM

It just happened to me again. I immediately checked the temp of my GPU and it was 60c. I think that rules out overheating.
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2010 2:19:36 AM

Someone please give me some advice. :( 
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 5:08:07 AM

Already installed the latest version of driver?
You can download the latest driver on Nvidia site...
m
l
August 29, 2010 6:51:22 AM

I have the latest driver installed for my GPU. However, when I installed my new GPU I did not delete the old drivers of my 8800GT. Could this be causing the problem?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 6:53:20 AM

It shouldn't as I'm pretty sure they use the same drivers, you can run driver sweeper and delete all of the Nvidia drivers, and then reinstall the newest just to be sure, however.
m
l
August 29, 2010 7:21:31 AM

Is driver sweeper free? I googled driver sweeper and I didn't find a free program. Could you link it for me please?
m
l
August 29, 2010 8:23:13 PM

I tried the driversweeper and the problem still persists. It seemed to happen less frequently but that was likely just luck. Any other suggestions for me to try? I really don't wanna have to return this card but it seems like that is my only option at this point. :( 
m
l
!