Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sabertooth 990FX No Drivers/BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
September 7, 2011 9:13:34 PM

I just purchased some upgrades and was trying to get them going before going into work tonight...

I bought a Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ along with a new case and H80 Water cooling kit.
Upon booting it said 'New CPU Installed!' Press F1 to enter Setup. I pressed F1 and I got nothing, black screen, then something popped up looking wierd like |Be-$||Be-$| but it was all strange characters. When I start up everytime it scans for drivers real quick and says no drivers and moves on too fast to read everything. I'm wondering if I need the CD in when I boot up. Heres the real problem.. never noticed this board doesn't have an IDE socket and I don't have a SATA cd drive.. Wondering what to do here ?

Also, the H80 said it supported AM3 blocks, I get this board, and the mount holes are rectangle not square and I have to return it :fou: 
September 7, 2011 9:47:43 PM

Not getting any bios or anything just straight to these wierd characters and just hangs there... Don't know what to do?
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 7, 2011 10:02:23 PM

Few things, are any of the MOBO's LED lights on that aren't normal - see manual 2-20 particularly the CPU_LED. This can happen if you damaged the CPU/CPU pins or the CMOS got corrupted. Pull the CMOS battery to make certain there not something keeping it from working. Also, make certain per page 2-18 the CMOS Jumper is in the correct position and installed.

If all else fails try the stock HSF and/or breadboard.

As far as the Windows install and/or Drivers put them an a USB Flash Drive but use USB 2.0 ports/drive.

Clear CMOS:
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2011 10:08:06 PM

Hey Jaquith,

I checked the LED's already.. all the LED's light up in order and all turn off like they are supposed too. I've cleared CMOS a few times by pulling the battery out and it then tells me to Press F1 to recover BIOS. I press F1 and my computer goes back to those weird characters... I'm using the stock HSF since the water cooler didn't fit but I also tried to load the bios file off a USB stick and nothing happens. When it says to press f1 it shows it detecting a usb drive but can't boot anything from it...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 7, 2011 10:15:48 PM

Typically that's from a corrupted BIOS or dead CMOS battery new MOBO or not. I've seen a short do this to, try unscrewing the MOBO and PCIe screws and dangle the MOBO supported by a towel and 'try' to boot.

Oddly, try booting without the CMOS battery.
m
l
September 8, 2011 12:31:01 PM

I tried both, neither worked... Now when I'm going through POST it stops on the boot device LED and it stays lit. I checked my sata connection to my boot HD and even tried both 3g and 6g ports nothing works. Do I really have to have a CD drive? And I thought I was getting away from AMI bios by going to asus... yuck!
m
l
September 8, 2011 1:03:13 PM

To make sure it wasn't a power problem I disconnected all my fans, extra hard drives, and anything else drawing power. I need the graphics card obviously but a 650 w power supply should be enough...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 8, 2011 1:32:48 PM

Have you tried the 'Jumper' CMOS method? The way you know it's reset is when the data and time are also reset.

Without a ODD {DVD} you'd need to make a bootable FAT-32 Flash Drive with Windows, set it to the top boot priority and 'try' to run Windows F8 repair options -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/fe...

From my list above what didn't you do?

To rule-out a bad HDD try booting it from a different PC. You life, now, would be a heck of lot easier with a DVD...

If the OS is AHCI then ditto the BIOS needs to be AHCI.
m
l
September 8, 2011 2:02:18 PM

I did the jumper method... Can't set flash drive to priority cause I can't access anything... Called Asus support, they basically went though everything I already did and told me that the board was dead, needed to be RMA'd to newegg... :( 

I might just keep the money now that my H80 doesn't fit the new AM3+ brackets... but I already made a post discussing that :p 
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 8, 2011 3:23:53 PM

I know there's plenty of folks installing the H80 on their AM3+ MOBOs?

In the package it comes with the Intel mounting brackets, those must be removed and the AMD brackets used.

I am by far not an AM3+ guru.
m
l
September 8, 2011 3:50:27 PM

yeah i smoked way to much this morning because after looking at the picture instructions for a half hour... i realized intel brackets came on it not AMD... duh! Oh well. Got watercooling on the old 880G for now until I get my RMA settled
m
l

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 8, 2011 5:14:05 PM

We've ALL had our oopsy moments ;) 

Good Luck!
September 8, 2011 11:02:18 PM

Best answer selected by pcenvy88.
m
l
September 11, 2011 1:17:31 PM

Someone told me doing a fresh install on my hard drive would help... I can't anyways since I don't have a drive to do it on but is that really true? Doesn't seem like it makes much sense since the bios should at least post before any windows files interfere
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 12, 2011 3:13:08 PM

There's no downside to re-installing the OS other than 'time.' It's completely unnecessary if moving the OS drive to otherwise 'same system' i.e. replacement MOBO. Frankly, if you get a completely different MOBO or other components then simply install the Drivers for the replaced MOBO or components just like you did on a new build.

Open the Device Manager and look for unrecognized drivers {! or ?} is any are listed then download the Drivers and re-install them as needed.
m
l
September 12, 2011 4:03:14 PM

I can't open device manager as I can't even get past POST... All I get is a black screen with wierd characters and a flashing cursor... pretty sure this thing is dead...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 12, 2011 6:13:59 PM

Confused here, is the RMA MOBO doing the same thing?? I assumed your 9/11 post was a question for the replaced MOBO...
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:14:15 PM

I never actually sent the RMA in... I applied for the RMA but never sent the mobo in... I'm going to buy a SATA cd-rom today at walmart and going to try and boot from CD if that doesn't work then I will RMA...

As far as this mobo goes... I've gotten this error before on other systems and clearing the CMOS was all that was needed. I can't exactly describe to you what the error is because I don't know how to regenerate the characters...

something like |Cè-$||Cè-$| but the dash is like a solid square and it just hangs at this forever
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 12, 2011 8:22:24 PM

IF the common element is the 'CPU' then maybe your CPU is the problem ;) 

m
l
September 12, 2011 10:42:22 PM

Nope, both CPU's work on my 880G.. but like I said, I'll sort out if its really dead or not when I get the sata drive tonight
m
l
September 13, 2011 1:47:10 AM

Got the sata drive from walmart... Plugged it in on a test rig was getting same LED indicator...

Jumped the CMOS 3 times each over 5 minutes long. Booted it up few times kept getting same thing. Finally one last try and walla! Checked for drivers, showed the HD and DVD drive as recognized and went straight to booting windows. Finally got it working! Now its on to putting it all back into my case in a neatly manner! LOL.
m
l
September 14, 2011 12:50:37 PM

Really confused here... to a problem that I thought was solved I still cannot get into BIOS. I was running windows 7 fine but no BIOS at all. Everytime I clear CMOS (both methods at same time) I end up getting 'Press F1 to enter Setup' and it goes right past BIOS to the JMircon screen where it says no drivers detected, then detects my drives, then goes back to those wierd characters where I'm stuck hanging. I can't even get back into windows again. I've tried my drives in 3G and 6G ports nothing seems to be making a difference. Really confused, its almost like my board came without any BIOS installed. I've flashed BIOS over and over and nothing seems to stick. Before when I was running windows I'd press F8 during POST and get a blank screen with a cursor like the BIOS was just completely gone. What do you suggest? Should I really send this board in or is this my error with ACHI/RAID issues?

|Cè▄$|Cè▄$

No one has seen that on a black screen before? Searched it on google and couldn't find one result!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2011 1:07:38 PM

I still think you have either a bad CPU more than likely, maybe a bad controller, or bad HDD.

Q - What HDD?

Disconnect ALL SATA connections to the MOBO and try getting to the BIOS.

IF you can get into the BIOS then JMircon -> Disable and save. Shutdown and reconnect the OS SATA drive only, boot straight into BIOS, change the Boot Priority to the OS in the 1st priority and save, boot to Windows. Q - What happens?
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:14:07 PM

Glad to see your online!

My system HD is a 250GB WD Caviar

I cleared CMOS after disconnecting all SATA drives and booted up. Got the Jmicron screen right away with same things happening, then it went to AMI screen Press F1....

Pressed F1 like usual and it started the boot sequence over with the LED's lighting up and turning off. Started Jmicron again and then this time, went to black screen and just sat there but wierd thing was that pixels on my screen 1 by 1 started lighting up in all different colors... wtf!
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:15:04 PM

Oh and the boot device LED stays on now when hanging at the pixelated screen

EDIT**

I now boot up and get the same loops but after the Jmicron screen goes away I get a flashing cursor twice and then a blank screen.

If I try and boot a bios file from my usb stick I get the Syslinux No Default or UI Configuration Error

The USB stick is FAT32 with only 1 file in the root directory. However, it is a Sandisk with U3 on it... I deleted the U3 but is that a problem? Either way, the bios not being there, even after I installed it using the Asus updater has me wondering... Even when I can get the boot device LED to turn off theres still a flashing cursor followed by a blank screen which leads me to believe that this mobo is fucked.

It is not my CPU because my cpu works fine on the A880G+ board every time right away.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2011 2:13:20 PM

DO THIS EXACTLY AND WITHOUT INTERPRETATION:

5 minutes:
1. Everything connected to the MOBO's I/O unplug; only the power plug, ie not even the mouse.
2. MOBO - for now, unplug the USB Headers and ALL SATA ports - EXCEPT the OS HDD. ie no Flash Drive, etc.
3. Unscrew ALL MOBO and PCIe screws, dangle the MOBO away from ANYTHING conductive and supported by a towel.

Press the Power button. Q - What happens?
Press and Hold the Power button to turn-off.
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:18:22 PM

I did all that exactly how you said and I am getting the same thing.

BUT... I did switch the SATA cable back to the 6G connector and windows boots fine now... howerver... still can't get into BIOS...

CMOS Battery?

As you can tell I'm watching for your response religiously :p 

Anyways, I'm going in steps and just plugged in the CDROM and SYSlinux says press key to boot from cd, if no key is pressed within 5 seconds the next boot device will be used. so it boots from my hard drive like normal.

If it can tell what my boot device priories are then there must be a BIOS somewhere....

This is all being run from a test device I made out of wood... nothing is touching metal to metal...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2011 2:25:45 PM

Next, run Fix It -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Typically if you cannot get into the BIOS the Keyboard isn't supported or it's installed in a bad or nonnative USB port eg USB 3.0 port. One of the reasons I have a PS/2 Keyboard.
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:27:13 PM

Just tried a different battery and when I press F8 while its detecting drives I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor....

My keyboard IS a ps/2!

Also, I tried to download the bios utility from asus, choosing which OS i have and everytime I try to run bupdater.exe it says I have the wrong format and I need to get my OS's version!

I will try your fix it link now...
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:39:25 PM

I'm starting to think this is an issue with the Jmicron controller... On my old system my hard drives were never setup in RAID, just 2 hard drives installed by default and One IDE cd drive. Could this be the problem?

I tried the fix it program and it said it was processed but nothing changed...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2011 2:46:25 PM

I don't use JMircon, as I said IF you can get into the BIOS then JMircon -> Disable and save.

You said "My system HD is a 250GB WD Caviar" not 'are' so I assume it's not in RAID.

IMO - if you continue to have problems then maybe it's worth taking it to a 'Computer Service' center/shop...
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:10:23 PM

jaquith said:
I don't use JMircon, as I said IF you can get into the BIOS then JMircon -> Disable and save.

You said "My system HD is a 250GB WD Caviar" not 'are' so I assume it's not in RAID.

IMO - if you continue to have problems then maybe it's worth taking it to a 'Computer Service' center/shop...

Well I have windows 7 installed to my 250GB drive then a 1TB drive with two seperate partitions. Eitherway, using just the 1 drive it still didn't work. I did have the option at one point to install an ACHI or RAID driver at boot from the A: drive but I don't have a floppy drive....

As far as the computer center goes... I'll try RMA'ing the board before I try that.. I don't want to spend more money on a 200 dollar board if I don't have too
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2011 3:46:48 PM

pcenvy88 said:
Well I have windows 7 installed to my 250GB drive then a 1TB drive with two seperate partitions. Eitherway, using just the 1 drive it still didn't work. I did have the option at one point to install an ACHI or RAID driver at boot from the A: drive but I don't have a floppy drive....

Hmm...did you try to format the WD into (1) one partition? The 'F6' or Floppy is for installing XP and not needed for Windows 7.

IMO create a Lifeguard bootable CD/DVD 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)' and diagnose the HDD and use the EXTENDED TEST.

WD Caviar Black - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613...
WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606...
m
l
September 15, 2011 12:36:11 PM

jaquith said:
Hmm...did you try to format the WD into (1) one partition? The 'F6' or Floppy is for installing XP and not needed for Windows 7.

IMO create a Lifeguard bootable CD/DVD 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)' and diagnose the HDD and use the EXTENDED TEST.

WD Caviar Black - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613...
WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606...

Will try that asap. Although not sure why a corrupted HD would cause the BIOS to not appear, especially when they work fine on another board but I'll give it a go!

Also, the ACHI/RAID drivers I was talking about was something that came from the ASUS mobo support CD...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 15, 2011 1:48:36 PM

Only use drivers from ASUS's website and never those on the CD. So I would re-install all the drivers. I'm trying to cover all my bases, I'm not clear when or if the OS is trying to load and then you're getting the errors or before. If before then when the BIOS goes through it's IRQ or 'testing' a bad device(s) can throw the error.

Sabertooth 990FX -> http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH...
m
l
September 17, 2011 3:07:55 PM

I get no errors anymore. I just go straight to the Jmicron load drivers/devices screen and then it boots...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 17, 2011 3:11:03 PM

Very glad to hear! :) 

Q - What changes did you make to correct the errors?
m
l
September 17, 2011 3:23:22 PM

Well my problem still isn't solved. I can boot but theres still no BIOS. going to RMA the board I guess
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 17, 2011 3:32:02 PM

Very unhappy to hear! :(  All in 12 minutes...

Q - What happens if you Disable unused SATA ports?

I assume your drives are all running off the AMD SB950, so what happens if you disable the JMicron in the BIOS?
m
l
September 17, 2011 3:41:58 PM

... Not accessing the BIOS has been the problem from the start... lol
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
September 18, 2011 6:46:35 PM

Bad MOBO - RMA.
m
l
October 2, 2011 1:42:25 AM

So I rma'd this board to newegg and they denied it... Supposedly one of the handles on the dimm slots broke off... I didn't do this, must of happened during shipment! So gay! If I take this board to Asus will THEY replace/fix it for me? I sure ******* hope so!
m
l
!