XP registry corrupt?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. On switching on the pc, an error
message pops up during boot up which states that a locally stored profile
cannot be accessed because either my security settings do not allow it or a
registry file may be corrupt. XP opens ok, but all activities are slow. My
user profile name is correct, and internet access ok but I cannot access any
personal files, my settings (eg mouse click on touch pad tap) are gone, as
are all my explorer favs and homepage. I cannot find any specific answers in
the knowledge base, but then my technical understanding, as you can see, is
limited. Any help or pointers would be most welcome.
Thanks
Jonathan
2 answers Last reply
More about registry corrupt

    Try opening administration,click on event viewer,get details as to "whats
    going on".If you click on the url for an event/warning,this opens
    help/support
    in xp usually with a fix to the problem(s).To fix xps registry,read kb 307545
    Even though it states "prevents xp from starting" it still repairs,and would
    work for you.

    "JB07" wrote:

    > Your help would be greatly appreciated. On switching on the pc, an error
    > message pops up during boot up which states that a locally stored profile
    > cannot be accessed because either my security settings do not allow it or a
    > registry file may be corrupt. XP opens ok, but all activities are slow. My
    > user profile name is correct, and internet access ok but I cannot access any
    > personal files, my settings (eg mouse click on touch pad tap) are gone, as
    > are all my explorer favs and homepage. I cannot find any specific answers in
    > the knowledge base, but then my technical understanding, as you can see, is
    > limited. Any help or pointers would be most welcome.
    > Thanks
    > Jonathan

    Thanks very much

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Try opening administration,click on event viewer,get details as to "whats
    > going on".If you click on the url for an event/warning,this opens
    > help/support
    > in xp usually with a fix to the problem(s).To fix xps registry,read kb 307545
    > Even though it states "prevents xp from starting" it still repairs,and would
    > work for you.
    >
    > "JB07" wrote:
    >
    > > Your help would be greatly appreciated. On switching on the pc, an error
    > > message pops up during boot up which states that a locally stored profile
    > > cannot be accessed because either my security settings do not allow it or a
    > > registry file may be corrupt. XP opens ok, but all activities are slow. My
    > > user profile name is correct, and internet access ok but I cannot access any
    > > personal files, my settings (eg mouse click on touch pad tap) are gone, as
    > > are all my explorer favs and homepage. I cannot find any specific answers in
    > > the knowledge base, but then my technical understanding, as you can see, is
    > > limited. Any help or pointers would be most welcome.
    > > Thanks
    > > Jonathan

Configuration Registry Windows XP