Palit Sonic Platinum Heat Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I'm looking at getting either the Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum or the ASUS ENGTX460 Directcu TOP 1GB. I was under the assumption that the Asus ran cooler than the Palit, but this review, shows the Asus running hotter (about 64 C vs the Palit's 54 C) under load.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_engtx460_top/17.htm

But this review shows the palit getting really hot under load - around 79 C.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/31

I'm thinking Guru's numbers are closer to reality, but if thats the case, I'm concerned about the temps being really hot in the case and possibly damaging some other components.

I'd read somewhere that one user had burned his mobo and sound card (x-fi fatality) from the Palit Sonic Platinum (no extra overclocking).

I'd have a X-fi Titanium positioned directly above the card, with the processor (i7 930 with stock cooler) being above the sound card. My mobo is the Asus P6x58D-E. Have an Antec 300 case with the stock Antec Tri-cool 120/140 mm on the back and top, respectively, and a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm 120mm on the side blowing air out. and another 2 Typhoons blowing air in through the front. PSU is Corsair HX750. Will this cooling be enough to protect my hardware? I don't have any after market cooling planned, but will I need to put something on the cpu to protect it more?

Ambient temperature (of room) is about 26 C.

And would adding the VRM heatsinks that Palit excluded be worth it? If so, anyone have a link to some good ones for a decent value? Thanks!

If I were you then i would take the ASUS one, it has Direct CU, allowing you to change voltage, make Overclocking much more easier and getting more higher speed...

I think you already have a good airflow inside your case and the ambient temp are cool... :)

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

I'm not too concerned with overclocking since both cards are both well overclocked, especially the Palit.

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

alright good to know. I just got really worried after reading that one post. maybe the guy didn't have good cooling on his rig...

Given the choice i would take the AsSUS card over the Palit card any day. The ASUS brand has a better pedigree. Palit have some good inovations and like to stand out by doing things differantly but ultimatly the ASUS is better in terms of build quality and features.
Just my opinion though

Mactronix

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I would probably go for the Asus too, but right now I can get the Palit for $210 + Just Cause 2 vs Asus at $250 by itself... other than the temps, the Palit seems to be a better performer

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
ya I tried to order the Asus one (TOP version) on Amazon for $210, but they backordered and haven't got any word about when they'll be available. I'm tryin to finish my new rig, and the vid card is the only thing I haven't purchased yet. im just anxious haha

Status
Not open for further replies.