Closed

How do i get files off my external hard drive when it says it needs formatting

This HDD was connected to my PC but it only have some video files that I can't lose. Seagate. 2TB.
Now when I connect it inside of my PC like extra HDD or using usb adapter, appear a message telling me I need to format it.
Please, somebody know how can I to save all my files in that hard drive?
46 answers Last reply
More about files external hard drive formatting
  1. Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you
  2. Could we see the partition table and boot sector with Microsoft's Sector Inspector?
    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SecInspect.zip

    If you extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the SIrun.bat file, then this will generate a report file named SIout.txt.
  3. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    Hello Mr201,

    thank you very much for your solution... have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost a day now.... your solution solved my problem within 2 minutes... very grateful
  4. div12 said:
    Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    Hello Mr201,

    thank you very much for your solution... have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost a day now.... your solution solved my problem within 2 minutes... very grateful


    Hi.. I too have the same problem. I did the first step as instructed. but can you tell me where i should change the" h" drive of my hard disk to E or D?? in my computers??
    Please help.
    Thanks.
  5. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    Thanks for this post!! I had stored important data from 3 desktops in my external HDD when suddenly it asked me to format it! This was the only back up i had n u can imagine my shock n trauma! Your suggestion resolved the problem within minutes! :) thanks again!
  6. Nan S said:
    Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    Thanks for this post!! I had stored important data from 3 desktops in my external HDD when suddenly it asked me to format it! This was the only back up i had n u can imagine my shock n trauma! Your suggestion resolved the problem within minutes! :) thanks again!


    Does this erase the files on the HDD or not? I'm to scared to do it on my own just in case it deletes everything.
  7. Anonymous said:
    Nan S said:
    Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    Thanks for this post!! I had stored important data from 3 desktops in my external HDD when suddenly it asked me to format it! This was the only back up i had n u can imagine my shock n trauma! Your suggestion resolved the problem within minutes! :) thanks again!


    Does this erase the files on the HDD or not? I'm to scared to do it on my own just in case it deletes everything.



    The step suggested will NOT delete everything. I can understand the apprehension, since there are people who find it amusing to have people run commands that wipe their computer for "fun". "chkdsk" is the windows program to check a drive for errors (check disk, abbreviated). The /f switch tells it to fix any errors that it finds on the disk (rather than just telling you it found errors and having to run it again). The h:, or e:, or d:, or whatever, is just telling it which drive to check, that's why you need to use whatever the letter is for your drive. If you're curious and would like to see what all options are available when running chkdsk, you can type "chkdsk /?" at the command prompt (without the quotes of course).
  8. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    THANKS U Very much.........
    It works.
  9. Aerogeist said:
    Anonymous said:
    Nan S said:
    Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    Thanks for this post!! I had stored important data from 3 desktops in my external HDD when suddenly it asked me to format it! This was the only back up i had n u can imagine my shock n trauma! Your suggestion resolved the problem within minutes! :) thanks again!


    Does this erase the files on the HDD or not? I'm to scared to do it on my own just in case it deletes everything.



    The step suggested will NOT delete everything. I can understand the apprehension, since there are people who find it amusing to have people run commands that wipe their computer for "fun". "chkdsk" is the windows program to check a drive for errors (check disk, abbreviated). The /f switch tells it to fix any errors that it finds on the disk (rather than just telling you it found errors and having to run it again). The h:, or e:, or d:, or whatever, is just telling it which drive to check, that's why you need to use whatever the letter is for your drive. If you're curious and would like to see what all options are available when running chkdsk, you can type "chkdsk /?" at the command prompt (without the quotes of course).


    Thank u very much. it worked in just 2 minute.
    I was so tensed after my segate expanson External HDD stop working and showed error
    massage (You need to format the Drive before use it). Now its working correctly after chkdsk/ process in CMD prompt.
    Thanks once again............
  10. I did the chkdsk and it scans but now its stuck in CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal. . . What now???? Help
  11. update :) This worked perfect THANK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!
  12. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    i have being doing it for two days now its still 2percent complete
  13. i have being doing it for two days now its still 2percent complete
  14. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    Nan S said:
    div12 said:
    Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    Hello Mr201,

    thank you very much for your solution... have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost a day now.... your solution solved my problem within 2 minutes... very grateful


    Hi.. I too have the same problem. I did the first step as instructed. but can you tell me where i should change the" h" drive of my hard disk to E or D?? in my computers??
    Please help.
    Thanks.
  15. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    I encountered the same problem and i follow the step above, but after doing so the command prompts " cannot open volume for direct access", what should I do to have a direct access and to recover all the files in the drive? could somebody help..pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse..

    Thanks much!
  16. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    every time I do this...it saysthis is a fat32 file and shows up with send an error report. It works if I do 'f' but not when I do 'e' which is the external hard drive I am having problems with. Pls could you advise me what to do. Thanks in advance.
  17. Thanks for your reply...I am not tech savvy, s I hope it works.
  18. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    Hi. I have same problem - used hdd last week and was fine, now it is saying it needs formatting. I tried the solution you suggested and nothing is happening. Help - have loads of photos and family videos on hdd. Very novice computer person so please be as basic as possible
  19. I don't have a reply but more of a need help.

    C:\Users\CP>chkdsk /f g:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is BACKUP.

    CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    113360 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    83 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.
    2 EA records processed.
    0 reparse records processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    68 percent complete. (113405 of 126208 index entries processed)
    Correcting error in index $I30 for file 272.
    Correcting error in index $I30 for file 272.
    Sorting index $I30 in file 272.

    Where do I go from here after running chkdsk /f d:?

    I've tried Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, FileSaver and several others without success. I'm open to suggestions.
  20. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    thanks man. its working! 100% trusted!
  21. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you


    Thanx verrrryyyyyu muchhhhhh really appreciate it
  22. hi this is no solution i need help it came up on my computer to backup so i did i used my 2tb drive and it back up 8gig so that was fine until i looked and all there was on the drive was 8gig of back up the rest of the drive now says unallocated so i renamed the drive to A but cant access the drive until i reformat it i have hundreds of files on here have i lost it all
  23. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you

    im lost please help me.
    how do you this what you are talking about ..i would like to see if it works on my problem to .
  24. Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    THANK YOU SO MUCH! this worked and saved my daughters 1st birthday photos. the one time i dont back up to multiple places this happened. THANK YOU!
  25. Followed the instructions above but I got this message: The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives. Please help. Thanks!
  26. wow 6 days with no answer
  27. "jameh" should start a new thread rather than hijacking this one.
  28. @2slojo, I can't speak for anyone else, but when I'm faced with a "raw" file system, I first examine the partition table and boot sector. If these are OK, then I examine the next component of the file system. Since the requested information was not provided, then I was unable to contribute anything.

    BTW, Windows deems a file system to be "raw" if any of its critical components is damaged to the point that the volume cannot be mounted. Windows then treats it as just a bunch of bytes. If it's not too badly damaged, you can sometimes mount the file system in Linux (Ubuntu Live CD). Otherwise you just have to try various data recovery software until you find one that recovers your files, assuming it's still possible.
  29. THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! I had files and pictures from 10yrs and this solution worked! My drive is working again. The only issue I had is I am the administrator and it would not let me run the command because I did not have access. I checked Microsofts website and figured it out in a couple of minutes. This works.

    I will always have 2 backups now.
  30. Dear all, Thank you very much for your solution.
    I have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost 3 weeks,
    this solution solved my problems just like that minutes... very very very thank you for your great help every one.

    but my doubt is do we will face any problem in future, how can i backup this hdd as itself is a backup drive of my important photos
  31. F**kin A! chkdsk thank god... years and years of work on this Seagate. I just got it like 1 1/2 years ago. it worked thanks.
  32. Hi
    I have seagate backup plus external 4T Hard drive. It stopped truing on so opened it and using Anker SATA to USB turned on but its says needs formatting. I tried the command both h and r but it says "chksk is not available for RAW drives" what should I do. Thank you very much.
  33. I ran the CMD fix. Worked a treat!!!!
  34. I have a slightly different problem. I actually choose the FORMAT option ( then I saw this post). Is there a way before I write anything to get the old files from some type of recovery software.
  35. Please post your own thread rather than sidetracking an existing one.
  36. carmilanes said:
    This HDD was connected to my PC but it only have some video files that I can't lose. Seagate. 2TB.
    Now when I connect it inside of my PC like extra HDD or using usb adapter, appear a message telling me I need to format it.
    Please, somebody know how can I to save all my files in that hard drive?
  37. carmilanes said:
    This HDD was connected to my PC but it only have some video files that I can't lose. Seagate. 2TB.
    Now when I connect it inside of my PC like extra HDD or using usb adapter, appear a message telling me I need to format it.
    Please, somebody know how can I to save all my files in that hard drive?
  38. you my friend are a hero thanks
  39. mattieo said:
    I ran the CMD fix. Worked a treat!!!!


    were your files saying that they were unreadable as they were being processed?
  40. cjakacash said:
    mattieo said:
    I ran the CMD fix. Worked a treat!!!!


    were your files saying that they were unreadable as they were being processed?
  41. Mine is running nowafter and each file so far unreadable,WIll chck once completed., Crossing my fingers
  42. May I ask jameh and mahayogi what are your thread of your problem. I am experiencing the same issue as yours and would like to look for some advise. Please advise, thanks.
  43. Nan S said:
    div12 said:
    Mr201 said:
    Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
    change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
    May that help you



    Hello Mr201,

    thank you very much for your solution... have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost a day now.... your solution solved my problem within 2 minutes... very grateful


    Hi.. I too have the same problem. I did the first step as instructed. but can you tell me where i should change the" h" drive of my hard disk to E or D?? in my computers??
    Please help.
    Thanks.



    YOUR SOLUTION SAVED ME, Thankyou very much, it worked!
  44. I have a Seagate 3 TB USB 3.0 hard drive that suddenly went bad AGAIN after a few months of being good after reformatting. I tried checkdisk in Command Mode and it said this is a RAW file system, I go to Computer Management and it says the drive is NTFS and healthy. I tried to copy as much off of it as I could for a few hours but didn't get everything. I took some camera snapshots of what I still have yet to copy, (doesn't work on CRT monitors btw.)

    Everytime I plug it in now, I get Autoplay locking up the drive and the HDD icon lost it's usual color & is now white with a blue ribbon, and I also get a prompt to "scan the hard drive for errors, or not?" The first scan it found 34 errors and it took hours, then told me I need to format it. Now I'm having a very hard time accessing the drive to copy anything off of it, it keeps crashing and locking up Windows Explorer. I have to unplug the drive to get Windows back.

    When I had this problem months ago it was a USB driver issue, I had to download and install a very specific USB driver for this hard drive to get it to work temporarily before reformatting. I'll have to see if I can find that info again somewhere.

    The guy at Staples told me that Seagate hard drives from 3 TB to 4 TB had a high return rate of 17%. This is my 3rd or 4th hard drive failure of this size. He said the Seagate 5 TB drives had half the return rate. He suggested another brand like Hitachi that had a much lower return rate of around 2%. I don't know what to get in the Columbus Day sales next week, but I'm gonna start looking around now.
  45. Closing because people clearly don't know what this means:
    Quote:
    Please post your own thread rather than sidetracking an existing one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Formatting External Hard Drive Storage