Sign in with
Your question

How do i get files off my external hard drive when it says it needs formatting

Last response: in Storage
January 22, 2013 11:09:54 PM

This HDD was connected to my PC but it only have some video files that I can't lose. Seagate. 2TB.
Now when I connect it inside of my PC like extra HDD or using usb adapter, appear a message telling me I need to format it.
Please, somebody know how can I to save all my files in that hard drive?
January 23, 2013 12:34:22 AM

Open cmd , type chkdsk /f h: . .
change h to your hdd like e: or d: . .
May that help you
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
January 23, 2013 1:48:23 AM

Could we see the partition table and boot sector with Microsoft's Sector Inspector?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SecInspect.zip

If you extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the SIrun.bat file, then this will generate a report file named SIout.txt.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 4:35:29 AM

Try a free hard drive recovery tool to retrieve your files before the format. This free tool has helped recover all of my inaccessible data from a flash drive. It is worth trying.

Download it there: -http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2013/01/unformat-memory-c...

Note: You should not save new file on this drive in case that the new data would rewrite your original files.
You should select a reliable recovery program to recover you data because the false recovery tool will make it more difficult to retrieve your data completely.
You should back up your data regularly.
m
l
July 7, 2013 11:16:05 AM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

Hello Mr201,

thank you very much for your solution... have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost a day now.... your solution solved my problem within 2 minutes... very grateful
m
l
August 5, 2013 9:59:12 PM

div12 said:
Mr201 said:
May that help you

Hello Mr201,

thank you very much for your solution... have been facing this problem and trying to find a solution for almost a day now.... your solution solved my problem within 2 minutes... very grateful

Hi.. I too have the same problem. I did the first step as instructed. but can you tell me where i should change the" h" drive of my hard disk to E or D?? in my computers??
Please help.
Thanks.
m
l
August 5, 2013 10:07:13 PM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

Thanks for this post!! I had stored important data from 3 desktops in my external HDD when suddenly it asked me to format it! This was the only back up i had n u can imagine my shock n trauma! Your suggestion resolved the problem within minutes! :)  thanks again!
m
l
Anonymous
August 15, 2013 11:59:57 PM

Nan S said:
Mr201 said:
May that help you

Thanks for this post!! I had stored important data from 3 desktops in my external HDD when suddenly it asked me to format it! This was the only back up i had n u can imagine my shock n trauma! Your suggestion resolved the problem within minutes! :)  thanks again!

Does this erase the files on the HDD or not? I'm to scared to do it on my own just in case it deletes everything.

m
l
December 6, 2013 9:07:02 AM

Anonymous said:
Nan S said:
Mr201 said:
May that help you

Does this erase the files on the HDD or not? I'm to scared to do it on my own just in case it deletes everything.

The step suggested will NOT delete everything. I can understand the apprehension, since there are people who find it amusing to have people run commands that wipe their computer for "fun". "chkdsk" is the windows program to check a drive for errors (check disk, abbreviated). The /f switch tells it to fix any errors that it finds on the disk (rather than just telling you it found errors and having to run it again). The h:, or e:, or d:, or whatever, is just telling it which drive to check, that's why you need to use whatever the letter is for your drive. If you're curious and would like to see what all options are available when running chkdsk, you can type "chkdsk /?" at the command prompt (without the quotes of course).
m
l
December 15, 2013 5:53:35 PM

When external hard drive asked for format, it means that the logical file table is corrupted. There are many reasons which could causes this problem. So you may have to do some work to find out the exact reason and then fix it.

Most of the time, it is due to virus. So it is suggested to scan the external hard drive with some anti virus software. You can try Microsoft Security Essential, or AVG free
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/windows/security-ess...
http://free.avg.com

What if the external hard drive is not shown as a drive letter in computer? You can then go to device manager and then assign a drive letter to it. See this guide
http://www.howtogeek.com/96298/assign-a-static-drive-le...

Now we come to save our data on the hard drive. Your data should be still there, you need a tool to retrieve them. See this useful tutorial
http://www.asoftech.com/articles/hard-drive-not-formatt...

Take note that you'd better not use the hard drive to save any other files, or do low level format before you restore all your files. If you have to format the external hard drive, remember to check "quick format".
m
l
February 17, 2014 11:52:13 AM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

THANKS U Very much.........
It works.
m
l
February 17, 2014 12:00:47 PM

Aerogeist said:
Anonymous said:
Nan S said:
Mr201 said:
May that help you

The step suggested will NOT delete everything. I can understand the apprehension, since there are people who find it amusing to have people run commands that wipe their computer for "fun". "chkdsk" is the windows program to check a drive for errors (check disk, abbreviated). The /f switch tells it to fix any errors that it finds on the disk (rather than just telling you it found errors and having to run it again). The h:, or e:, or d:, or whatever, is just telling it which drive to check, that's why you need to use whatever the letter is for your drive. If you're curious and would like to see what all options are available when running chkdsk, you can type "chkdsk /?" at the command prompt (without the quotes of course).

Thank u very much. it worked in just 2 minute.
I was so tensed after my segate expanson External HDD stop working and showed error
massage (You need to format the Drive before use it). Now its working correctly after chkdsk/ process in CMD prompt.
Thanks once again............
m
l
March 2, 2014 9:29:25 PM

I did the chkdsk and it scans but now its stuck in CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal. . . What now???? Help
m
l
March 2, 2014 9:57:08 PM

update :)  This worked perfect THANK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!
m
l
March 17, 2014 8:25:19 AM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

i have being doing it for two days now its still 2percent complete
m
l
March 17, 2014 8:27:11 AM

i have being doing it for two days now its still 2percent complete
m
l
April 6, 2014 7:02:57 PM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

Nan S said:
div12 said:
Mr201 said:
May that help you

Hello Mr201,

Hi.. I too have the same problem. I did the first step as instructed. but can you tell me where i should change the" h" drive of my hard disk to E or D?? in my computers??
Please help.
Thanks.

m
l
April 6, 2014 7:21:19 PM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

I encountered the same problem and i follow the step above, but after doing so the command prompts " cannot open volume for direct access", what should I do to have a direct access and to recover all the files in the drive? could somebody help..pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse..

Thanks much!

m
l
May 3, 2014 11:28:02 AM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

every time I do this...it saysthis is a fat32 file and shows up with send an error report. It works if I do 'f' but not when I do 'e' which is the external hard drive I am having problems with. Pls could you advise me what to do. Thanks in advance.

m
l
May 3, 2014 7:31:03 PM

In my experiences, you may try this:
Do not format this drive in a rush.
And then, try to rescue your files back at first with the help of some data recovery tool.
Here is video tutorial that may help you out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk
At last, format this drive to see whether it is useful as before.
Otherwise, you should send it to a drive repairing shop.
Note: Do not save things on only one drive in the future.
m
l
May 4, 2014 12:55:18 AM

Kerwin256 said:
In my experiences, you may try this:
Do not format this drive in a rush.
And then, try to rescue your files back at first with the help of some data recovery tool.
Here is video tutorial that may help you out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk
At last, format this drive to see whether it is useful as before.
Otherwise, you should send it to a drive repairing shop.
Note: Do not save things on only one drive in the future.

m
l
May 4, 2014 12:58:09 AM

Thanks for your reply...I am not tech savvy, s I hope it works.
m
l
May 25, 2014 2:36:45 PM

Mr201 said:
May that help you

Hi. I have same problem - used hdd last week and was fine, now it is saying it needs formatting. I tried the solution you suggested and nothing is happening. Help - have loads of photos and family videos on hdd. Very novice computer person so please be as basic as possible
m
l
!