Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New AMD phenom II build

Tags:
  • Build
  • AMD
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 14, 2010 9:39:41 AM

hey guys!! :D 

i am planning to build a new mid\low end gaming system with AMD
but am confused about the processor and mobo choice


Approximate Purchase Date: week or two

Budget Range: every penny counts!!

System Usage : gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS , dvd drive, ram, monitor

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU & Asus mobo

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: i have narrowed down to following components

CPU

AMD phenom II X4 945/955 BE

mobo-
i am considering the 870 chipset as i only need 1 PCIe slot (wont go SLI or crossfire) and discrete grafix
and being a asus fan i have 2 options with it

M4A87TD
and
M4A87TDUSB3

GPU-

am considering 5750/5770

kindly help me out here :wahoo: 

More about : amd phenom build

October 14, 2010 10:00:40 AM

batuchka said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

At 1st glance if USB/SATA 3.0 is not a much i'd hot a cheapo 785G/770 and try nabbing a GTX 460 in there hehe


i am planning to use this build for a period of approx 2-3 yrs. i wont be needing sata 3 for sure but how about USB 3??

is sata/usb3 the main diff between 7xx and 8xx series??

which asus mobo with 770 chipset would u recommend?

m
0
l
Related resources
October 14, 2010 10:04:59 AM

Actually with current solutions for these 2 new tech i.e SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 this is my $0.02

For the former, with AM3 800 series u actually can nab a pretty cheap SATA 6GB/s mobos with elegant native solution rather than Marvell Controllers and these have like 5-7 ports? Good to go and no ridiculous premiums charged (if u narrow down to say 870 chipsets, not 890FX)

For the latter: no chipset currently has native solution and most rely on NEC controller offering 2 x USB 3.0 ports which we all know aren't near enuff once the said tech becomes mainstream so either way add on cards are the way to go

700 series on SB 710 and hunt for decent ones in combos u can't say no to hehe
m
0
l
October 14, 2010 10:15:09 AM

batuchka said:
Actually with current solutions for these 2 new tech i.e SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 this is my $0.02

For the former, with AM3 800 series u actually can nab a pretty cheap SATA 6GB/s mobos with elegant native solution rather than Marvell Controllers and these have like 5-7 ports? Good to go and no ridiculous premiums charged (if u narrow down to say 870 chipsets, not 890FX)

For the latter: no chipset currently has native solution and most rely on NEC controller offering 2 x USB 3.0 ports which we all know aren't near enuff once the said tech becomes mainstream so either way add on cards are the way to go

700 series on SB 710 and hunt for decent ones in combos u can't say no to hehe


thnx

i am really skeptical about both sata\usb 3, specially the former
if i am not wrong majority implementation of usb3 takes some PCIe lanes which i guess is a poor solution??
i guess 770 and SB 710 will be a decent choice

what say :bounce: 
m
0
l
October 14, 2010 1:30:59 PM

For the graphics card 5770 or 5750 are both pretty close in speed, google "wiki ATI Radeon compare" and get whichever is on special. I would recommend Sapphire brand. I have the 5750 and I can put the details up to full on Napoleon Total War with no slowdown. Sims 3 is also super smooth. It is also good for playing Diablo II and Baldurs gate with high details. I personally avoid Nvidia because I had issues playing older games.
USB 3 will be a must have in future, but you could go without it for another year. Consider the esata model of the board you want instead. Pick Asrock, Asus or Gigabyte.
Don't forget AMD Bulldozer will need a whole new socket, so CPU upgrades may be limited, I personally have no idea what AMD will do with the AM3.
m
0
l
October 16, 2010 8:05:19 AM

thnx for the response guys

i read in a forum thar the 945 is also available as 95W TDP version
i could not find it on amds site though

does it make sense to go for the 95 W version or even the 945 itself but rather go with 955 be although wont be doing any serious OCing
m
0
l
October 16, 2010 8:57:13 AM

Just look for combo deals on newegg. Also, a budget range would be nice for us to help you put something together. I'm going to guess its somewhere around 6-700?

955 is only $5 extra dollars and in stock. No reason not to get it unless you are really pinching pennies (and i mean pennies) on the power bill. Nice combo deal with a decent 880 mobo here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

or a 785 here if you dont want the 6.0/3.0 support

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
0
l
October 16, 2010 10:59:09 AM

calad said:
Just look for combo deals on newegg. Also, a budget range would be nice for us to help you put something together. I'm going to guess its somewhere around 6-700?

955 is only $5 extra dollars and in stock. No reason not to get it unless you are really pinching pennies (and i mean pennies) on the power bill. Nice combo deal with a decent 880 mobo here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

or a 785 here if you dont want the 6.0/3.0 support

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...



i am from india, hence newwegg is ruled out :( 
my primary requirement from the mobo are:

asus board
discrete grafix
single pci e 16x
no sata3
maybe usb3
not more than $100

from the above i narrowed down to

M4A87TD\USB3
and
M4A77TD
M4A77T\USB3

couldnt find much info on 87TD boards
or do you have any other recommendations
plz let me know

thnx
m
0
l
October 16, 2010 4:33:33 PM

The thing that stands out for me is "discrete grafix" - for 1440 x 900 and if your games aren't DX11 how is the used/2nd hand hardware market scene where u at?
Quote:
Budget Range: every penny counts!!

Consider nabbing a GTS 250/HD 4850/HD 4770 on the cheap if $$ is really tight or the AthlonII X3 for chip


The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

m
0
l
October 17, 2010 7:06:36 AM

batuchka said:
The thing that stands out for me is "discrete grafix" - for 1440 x 900 and if your games aren't DX11 how is the used/2nd hand hardware market scene where u at?
Quote:
Budget Range: every penny counts!!

Consider nabbing a GTS 250/HD 4850/HD 4770 on the cheap if $$ is really tight or the AthlonII X3 for chip


The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.


i already have a xfx 8800gt which i plan to use in the new system, and will upgrade to 58xx series when by budget allows
now i will be using the new system for about 3 years hence i guess going with a quad is better

BTW plz help in chossing between the asus mobos i mentioned

thnx
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 11:37:59 AM

I would pick the M4A77TD 1st allowing more funds free for GPU/80+ PSU, etc
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 11:46:11 AM

thnx

i was also leaning towards 77td
this mobo also has a usb3 version about the same price, but does not have all solid caps as the 77td model
how important do you think usb3 is gona be in 3 yrs from now??
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 11:53:39 AM

Hard to say but one thing for sure: once it becomes mainstream current mobos offering 2 x USB 3.0 ports aren't gonna be enuff anyways so we have to resort to add on cards, etc ^^
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 11:57:08 AM

and what about the advantages of the all solid caps on 77td?
m
0
l
October 17, 2010 1:27:36 PM

Nice to have but not a deal breaker
m
0
l
!