Gaming computer, SSD? HDD?

Im deciding on how to proceed with building my 1st gaming PC. I dont plan on storing alot of music/pics/movies, just mainly playing games. So do I need both an SSD and an HDD or can I just get a larger SSD (ie. 250gb) and use my existing 1TB external HD for whenever I do download the occasional movie? Thank you
3 answers Last reply
More about gaming computer
  1. You can setup how ever you want.

SSD's are nice and fast so as long as you can get by with your files/programs on the SSD, go for it.

As with any drive, keeping a backup of personal files is ALWAYS a good idea. SSD's and HDD's can fail.

I personally have a 256 gigabyte SSD for Windows another for some extra programs/games a small 64gigabyte SSD for Win8 and 2 TB drive for files/documents/desktop/ect. I have another identical 2TB drive in an enclosure for backups(on for backup, then off to keep it as an offline backup so to speak.).
  2. That is what I would do. You may only need 128GB SSD if you are only using it for games and the OS. If you intend to use software on it too though, I would go with a 256GB. You will love the speed at which games load on an SSD!
  3. Sounds good, thanks for the quick replies. Plus if I decide to use the computer alot more the planned im sure i can add a HDD down the road. Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Gaming Storage