Sign in with
Your question

Is my motherboard overkill for my system?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 7, 2011 11:11:02 PM

1. Is my motherboard overkill for my system?
2. Can I get away with a less expensive model with less features? And still have the same gaming performance?
3. If the answer is yes to question 2, Should I get a less expensive mobo? This isn't exactly a budget build but I would like to spend as little as possible and still have high performance. But is the future proof and specs of the AsRock P67 worth the extra 50 or so since I can afford it?
4. If the answer is yes to question 2 and 3, can you recommend a specific board?

Keep in mind I would like to have this computer somewhat future proofed but I see one of the Gigabyte Z68 models is fairly popular and runs around 50 dollars cheaper then the motherboard I have selected. Currently the computer will only be used for Starcraft 2 and general web browsing like forum posting and such. I will likely be playing a few new games here and there when they come out as well.

I also am looking into the possibilty of running 2 6870's in crossfire.

Parts I have selected:

Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

GPU: ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
***I literally only use my computer to play Starcraft II and general internet use like Tom's Hardware Forums for example so I decided to solely use a 120GB SSD for my storage. I will be installing Starcraft II's Heart of the Swarm Expansion and Diablo 3 as well in the future. If need be I can just get another SSD or a regular hard drive.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid-Tower Gaming Case BLACK

More about : motherboard overkill system

September 7, 2011 11:36:36 PM

Yes, you can run a less expensive mobo for the same performance.

You can get the Biostar TZ68A+ for only $100 and it has tons of features, including crossfire capabilities.
m
l
!