Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why is my PC not showing improvement after SSD upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2010 11:10:12 AM

Hi All, I just got a new PSU, Case, and an OCZ 60g Vertex 2 SSD and I am not seeing a noticable performance increase here. I ran the Windows Experience test, and my CPU is now scoring 3.2; it was 5.4 the last time I ran it (several months ago when Win 7 just came out. Also, boot times don't appear to be much faster than before.

I am wondering if my Mobo is just too old (maybe it has a slower verision of SATA on it?). When I went to my BIOS, I didn't even see an option to enable AHCI, maybe I overlooked it though. This is my first time using SATA, before I had all IDE stuff.

Here is my build:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe

Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2

Graphics Card: MSI N9600GT-MD 512

Power Supply: Antec 750

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 11:47:56 AM

yo must instal your os in the ssd
m
l
October 14, 2010 12:37:49 PM

Quote:
yo must instal your os in the ssd

Yeah man, I did. LOL. That would be funny though if I didn't.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 12:52:53 PM

1. an SSD will never slow down your proc. It must have been something else that causes the lower score.

2. What kind of improvement do you expect? higher fps by games? higher RAM, Proc, and/or GPU benchmark? The you are wrong. SSD doesn't have such impact on system performance.

3. No AHCI options? Perhaps, your mobos BIOS is ancient and needs to be updated. I have never used this mobo before, so I am not sure of this. SSD must have this AHCI option turned on.
m
l
October 14, 2010 1:36:08 PM

guanyu210379 said:
1. an SSD will never slow down your proc. It must have been something else that causes the lower score.

Yeah, maybe it is just failing.

guanyu210379 said:
2. What kind of improvement do you expect? higher fps by games? higher RAM, Proc, and/or GPU benchmark? The you are wrong. SSD doesn't have such impact on system performance.

I was at least expecting a noticable difference in boot time. I haven't run too many apps yet. Still installing all of them.

guanyu210379 said:
3. No AHCI options? Perhaps, your mobos BIOS is ancient and needs to be updated. I have never used this mobo before, so I am not sure of this. SSD must have this AHCI option turned on.

This is what I suspect, too. I am going to research this tonight when I get home. This SSD states it can do near 280 MB/s and if my mobo is "gen 1 sata," then it would be limited to about 150 MB/s.

I am probably going to suck it up and just buy a new CPU/Mobo with Sata 3 I guess. Any additional thoughts?
m
l
October 14, 2010 1:39:43 PM

Yeah, I have the most recent BIOS, 1.7 - created 07/29/2008.

I don't know, maybe the BIOS does have this option. Where exactly would you find the option to enable AHCI?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 2:04:30 PM

On my mobo ASUS P5EX38. The AHCI option is on the BIOS page where you see the list of all your drives.
Go to SATA and then change the IDE to AHCI. Exit the BIOS and restart your PC.
Enter AHCI again and you can see that all of the drives are already on AHCI.

My mobo is on the second generation SATA, so your mobo could be too old for AHCI, but I am not sure. If this is the case, just replace the mobo with the one which has AHCI. Ignore the SATA III option and try to get the "cheapest possible" LGA775 mobo with DDR2 and AHCI support.
My Opinion: Any siginificant upgrade is better to be done somewhere next year about during summer, as the AMD Bulldozer, Intel Sandy Bridge and AMD/ATI HD6xxx are comming.
I myself have planned to get a new proc, mobo, and RAM next year. Perhaps Bulldozer, perhaps Sandy Bridge...I have to wait and see.

October 14, 2010 2:27:47 PM

Quote:
RAID.?

Well, I put the SSD on a SATA cord and set that as the first boot disk in the BIOS. The DVD (SATA also) is the second boot disk. The HDD is on an IDE cord by itself. Does that mean I have a RAID?
m
l
October 14, 2010 2:31:14 PM

guanyu210379 said:
My Opinion: Any siginificant upgrade is better to be done somewhere next year about during summer, as the AMD Bulldozer, Intel Sandy Bridge and AMD/ATI HD6xxx are comming.

Yeah man, I heard about the Sandy Bridge CPUs and that is why I was holding back on upgrading the CPU/mobo. I thought they were coming in early 2011. If they are coming that late, I will likely spaz out and buy a new CPU before then. LOL.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 2:32:16 PM

Your system may not be optimized for SSD use. Microsoft is slowly adding corrections for SSDs (if it detects one), but you may need to manually tweak the settings. I used this program for mine, and I get 30sec boot times on my WD SSD: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/tweak-to-opti...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 2:34:11 PM

Wakarimasen said:
Yeah man, I heard about the Sandy Bridge CPUs and that is why I was holding back on upgrading the CPU/mobo. I thought they were coming in early 2011. If they are coming that late, I will likely spaz out and buy a new CPU before then. LOL.

Well, I think they will be there sooner than summor 2011, but you have also to wait untill proper benchmark points, and comparisons are available on the net.
Then decide which one to buy Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge.
m
l
October 15, 2010 1:02:47 PM

Mystery solved. When I moved the motherboard from my old case to new one I noticed one of the pegs on the CPU fan was loose. I pushed it back in but didn't really pay attention to it.

Last night I took the fan off and reinstalled it, making sure it was really on there. Booted up again and it was loaded very quickly. I ran the Windows Experience thing and my CPU is now at 5.9 (3.2 before the fan fix). So there you go.

Now the PC is pretty quick and I can wait for Sandy Bridge/Bulldozer before I make the CPU upgrade. Thanks for the help everyone.
m
l
October 15, 2010 1:03:24 PM

Best answer selected by Wakarimasen.
m
l
!