Sign in with
Your question

CPU speed sometime sdrops and not increase

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2011 8:57:30 AM

Usually, my CPU will flip between 800MHz and 1.73GHz. A while back to increase performance, I installed Notebook Hardware COntrol and constantly run my CPU at 1.73GHz as it has better performance.
However, in the past few weeks, I have noticed that occasionally on startup it gets locked around 400MHz, 416MHz and will not increase. This could be a bug in NHC but I think something is more likely up witht he CPU. If I restart, and do not load too many programs at the same time then it stays at max speed with no problems.

I ran a CPU test last week and no problems, the temp did not increase.

ANy ideas on what the problem might be?

The fan has been coming on a lot recently and it may just be some dust blocking the CPU vent but it doesn;t seem overly hot, the vent is fairly cool. If anything thr GPU side is warnmer.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 9:24:36 AM

Have you tried setting it back to how it was with cool n quiet or speedstep?

Can you really notice a performace increse? My advice would be to leave it how it was.

Why did you have to install anything you can just turn that function on and off in the bios?
January 9, 2011 9:54:15 AM

beanoslim said:
Have you tried setting it back to how it was with cool n quiet or speedstep?

Can you really notice a performace increse? My advice would be to leave it how it was.

Why did you have to install anything you can just turn that function on and off in the bios?

Yeah, dramatically slowe with NHC uninstalled. It's almost as though speedstep won't increase it 1.73 ever. Load up is about twice as long. The fan doesn;t come on now but the performance in loading is poor. After loadup, things seem to work ok but not exactly speedy. Computer-->Properties shows CPU speed at 705MHz.
The BIOS setting only has the ability to turn speedstep off, minimum speed cannot be changed. With speedstep off, the system would be at minimum only, ie 800MHz.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 10:15:36 AM

Well to test it open up cpu-z and run something like a scan, I always use easycleaner, it should hit full speed.

If it does hit full speed the you know speedstep is working properly.

Turning speedstep off will or should make the cpu run at full speed not its lowest setting.

If you have a slow loadup check your startup items with start/ msconfig and disable anything that isn't needed and try a defrag.
January 9, 2011 11:01:23 AM

beanoslim said:
Well to test it open up cpu-z and run something like a scan, I always use easycleaner, it should hit full speed.

If it does hit full speed the you know speedstep is working properly.

Turning speedstep off will or should make the cpu run at full speed not its lowest setting.

If you have a slow loadup check your startup items with start/ msconfig and disable anything that isn't needed and try a defrag.

I ran CPU-Z while running an Avira scan and also CC Cleaner it stays at 798.1Mhz (core speed).
ALmost like the speedstep doesn;t kick in.

In the BIOS, it says if I turn off speedstep then the syetem will run at minimum performance.
I can try it to see but it should work anyway?
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 11:14:12 AM

Check your profiles in control panel to see if you have it on battery saving mode, sounds like you may have.

You can set the profiles for when running off battery and ac power.

Are there any other profile setting in the bios with speedstep?
January 9, 2011 11:30:28 AM

Makes no difference whether battery is in or not. Power options set to AC power Home/Office, no power saving.
No other options in BIOS apart from speedstep.
It lists the min and max CPU speeds but says they cannot be changed. min 800, max 1.73
January 9, 2011 11:51:43 AM

Inspiron 9300 Pentium M dual core 1.73 GHz
January 9, 2011 11:52:39 AM

Quote:
Yes it makes a difference. When you leave the battery in it runs off the battery getting constantly charged off the wall. Which means it runs through the batteries cycles quicker. Your battery seems to be near the end of its cycles. You should always remove the battery when running of the wall. Sum newer laptops have a function which cuts the battery out of the circuit. Check your battery its the reason why you got problems

When I said it makes no difference, I meant that I had taken the battery out and it made no difference to the CPU speed ;) 
January 9, 2011 12:42:53 PM

Quote:
Ok tell me did you buy the laptop new? Did you ever do a pin mod on it? It seems like the bus is being tied up by you graphics

It's about 6 years old but this problem started happening a few months ago, which is why I installed NHC.
I can't remember whether it worked before that.
I just recently had to replace the GEForce Go 6800 256Mb GPU as it had busted and I replaced this with a ATI X300 128.
Not sure if that is the issue as it was happening before I changed the GPU and also before the original GPU broke.
January 9, 2011 3:00:11 PM

Quote:
Ok tell me did you buy the laptop new? Did you ever do a pin mod on it? It seems like the bus is being tied up by you graphics

If that was true, then how would NH up the speed to 1.73?
January 9, 2011 4:33:30 PM

Quote:
you disabled speedstep in the bios
You took it off max power
You took out the battery and run it of the AC right. With battery and no battery its the same.

So its one thing left. Your AC adapter . Its 90w right? I'm 95 percent sure that's your problem. Its not the battery coz it didn't change when you took it out.

Seems like your charger is not supplying enough power. See if you can test it with another one if you know someone who's got one.
Otherwise you'll have to take the gamble and go buy one

Standard DELLer adaptor.
Same question though, if NHC can up the speed to 1.73 then it's not a power or pin problem.
January 10, 2011 5:22:08 PM

Same question though, if NHC can up the speed to 1.73 then it's not a power or pin problem?
January 12, 2011 7:55:21 AM

Quote:
try and get another adapter and test it. it might be the root of your problem

i tried another and same thing. i still dont understand what the adapter has to do with it, I guess you are saying it is not supplying enough power/voltage but if that was the case then I shouldn't be able to force my GHz up with NHC and I can so it is obviously supplying enough power.
January 12, 2011 9:28:33 PM

qwertyjjj said:
Makes no difference whether battery is in or not. Power options set to AC power Home/Office, no power saving.
No other options in BIOS apart from speedstep.
It lists the min and max CPU speeds but says they cannot be changed. min 800, max 1.73

Try setting your profile to "always on". I just discovered this yesterday on a customers new HP PC (desktop). A quick google search suggested setting it to "home/office" which seemed to work with that PC (AMD Phenom II X3) but a PC at another customer (3 year old Intel CPU (forget model)) didn't go to max cpu clock until I set the profile to "always on".

January 12, 2011 11:10:00 PM

charade said:
Try setting your profile to "always on". I just discovered this yesterday on a customers new HP PC (desktop). A quick google search suggested setting it to "home/office" which seemed to work with that PC (AMD Phenom II X3) but a PC at another customer (3 year old Intel CPU (forget model)) didn't go to max cpu clock until I set the profile to "always on".

That worked.
It doesn't power down to 800MHz at all now, remain at 1.73GHz but I guess that's acceptable.
Thanks
January 13, 2011 7:49:09 AM

charade said:

Actually, it worked temporarily but has not fallen back to 800 MHz and I have to use NHC to increase the speed.
!