Sign in with
Your question

Two hard drives to one?

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2013 2:27:50 AM

I have an Asus Laptop (U36S) that has a SSD with the OS installed (and some programs). I also connect via USB3 an external drive (500GB). This external drive is always connected because I found the SSD too small to hold all the programs I wanted on the system. (It also holds data).

I'm tired of having this external drive plugged in all the time, so I'm considering purchasing a 750GB drive to use with the laptop instead of the SSD/External combo.

My question is if it's possible to take the two drives as they exist and "ghost" them onto the one new drive (two partitions) so I don't have to reinstall everything on the two drives?

If so, what would be the best way to do that? I don't own a "ghost" program yet, but could purchase one to use if this is possible.

Thanks!!

More about : hard drives

January 23, 2013 9:48:15 PM

Thanks for the info.
So, if I have two drives (one in the laptop, and one external) I would run this program to copy an image to a third external (usb)drive? or directly to the new drive I intend on installing to into the laptop? The new drive would need to be partitioned to act like two drives (I'm assuming), and does that happen before I "mirror" the first drive (I'm thinking the first drive would the the one I am copying with the OS on it).? or do I do the Mirror to the new drive, install it and then add another partition(drive letter) and do the mirror of the 2nd (external) drive.
I assume I would use a usb case for the new drive to get it copied in the first place?
January 24, 2013 12:26:30 AM

You can ghost the SSD directly to the other drive. If you want two partitions, first ghost the contents from the SSD, then go into Windows and make a second partition on that drive (the new one). Then just copy everything from your external to that second partition; you don't need to ghost that content.
!