Upgrading from 5770. 300-400 dollar price range...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellcloud

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I purchased my 5770 in April of this year, but recently bought a larger monitor with a higher resolution and thus need a new card to support the higher resolution I am using.

I am looking at one of three options though:
A) Radeon 5850
B) Single (mobo doesn't support SLI) GTX 460 (1gb model)
C) Wait till the 6xxx lineup is released.

Waiting is not an issue as the 5770 is able to play all my games on at least minimum or medium settings.

Solution
C) is the best option, as soon as the official announcments come out of ATi about the 6xxx series I expect the prices of the 5xxx series to drop, Also you will be able to see the performance and pricing points of the new cards(performance is expected to be 25%~30% better according to unofficial charts) and price is unknown. It will also of course have newer features and possibly better Xfire scaling so you may want to pick a 6750 or 6770.

So yeah... C's the best option seeing as septembers only a few days away and I expect the cards to be announced in the 1'st half of it seeing as there meant to be shipping in Oct/Nov.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
C) is the best option, as soon as the official announcments come out of ATi about the 6xxx series I expect the prices of the 5xxx series to drop, Also you will be able to see the performance and pricing points of the new cards(performance is expected to be 25%~30% better according to unofficial charts) and price is unknown. It will also of course have newer features and possibly better Xfire scaling so you may want to pick a 6750 or 6770.

So yeah... C's the best option seeing as septembers only a few days away and I expect the cards to be announced in the 1'st half of it seeing as there meant to be shipping in Oct/Nov.

Solution

4x on a pcie v2 will give enough bandwidth for a 2nd 5770. Speed maybe reduced by 2-5%, not much.

Instead of going this route I'd get a 5850 for $270 like this one - and then turn around and sell the 5770 for $100-$120 before the prices drop so the actual cost is only about the same as the cost of getting a second 5770 (mainly since his MOBO only runs the 2nd PCI-e slot at X4 which will effect the performance somewhat)

Or wait and see what comes out the next few months but remember most of the savings in waiting for the 5xxx series prices to drop will also be lost on reselling that 5770 ! (since it's value will also be affected)

Status
Not open for further replies.