Closed Solved

WD My Passport External HD Failure

I have a WD My Passport 0740 500GB external HD that stopped working just 2-3 months after I started using it. And it filled to the brim, too. I tried taking it to the local IT store to recover the data, but no luck. ( PS, they opened the casing, so warranty is void).The light on the HD turns on. The Hard Drive is recognized. But it does not show up on Windows Explorer (windows 7 Ultimate). I've read a number of forum posts regarding the issue and checked that:

a) the HD does not show up in that BIOS.
b) when I open disk management, the HD does show up as disk1, but with no bar.

At this point i've given up on recovering the data. But if the HD proves salvagable in any way, I'd be gratefull.
64 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about passport external failure
  1. CCleaner from piriform.com is worth a shot. Download it run the drive wipe on it but tell it to only wipe the free space which i realized may not be much but again, its worth a try. If that's a no-go, then i would just tell it to wipe the entire drive, sure you'd lose the info on it but it might save the drive.
  2. Just Tried it. I got this error message.

    http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/723/hdbug.png

    ?????
  3. Your probably boned, but go ahead and try a format with windows (right click, select format from drop down menu). This will erase all data on your HDD.
  4. The Hard Disk doesn't show up in 'My Computer' to begin with!

    Also, I tried turning on the computer with the HD plugged in, then opened Disk Management. It asked to select Partition type for Disk 1. But on selecting both cases, MBR and GPT (one at a time), I got the same error message:

    'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.'
  5. How do UVCView and HD Sentinel identify the drive? UVCView talks to the USB-SATA bridge IC whereas HD Sentinel attempts to communicate with the HDD behind the bridge.

    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/
  6. With UVCVeiw, I get the following list:

    http://www.mytextfile.com/public?s=u8SkuwLaIVRyB5yVsjmiudd4aeGkGBGo6rtZyNJO

    Hard Disk Sentinel, on the other hand, detects the disk, but also says size=0MB. When I try out the tests, the program stops responding.
  7. UVCView is correctly detecting the USB-SATA bridge IC on the drive, but the drive behind the bridge has a physical problem. I presume that Hard Disk Sentinel is reporting the model number of the drive, eg WD5000BMVV.
  8. So, what now?
  9. Best answer
    It doesn't look like a board fault, so I can't see any option other than professional data recovery.
  10. Best answer selected by WolfsBane.
  11. WolfsBane said:
    The Hard Disk doesn't show up in 'My Computer' to begin with!

    Also, I tried turning on the computer with the HD plugged in, then opened Disk Management. It asked to select Partition type for Disk 1. But on selecting both cases, MBR and GPT (one at a time), I got the same error message:

    'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.'
  12. Have you recovered ur drive? I face the same issue as yours,do help me na?
  13. My WD passport is not recognized too, like yours, the light in the left side is blinking and the hard drive is making a sound ,,



    how we fix it.

    please help me to fix my WD passport.....................

    please reply immediately
  14. I've got this exact same problem as well! There is a white light which keeps flashing (to show it is on) and when plugged into the laptop/computer, it doesn't show up under any categories? However, the computer does read it as it makes the noise which is made when a functional USB is inserted. I have a black WD my Passport USB 3.0 compatible with USB 2.0. ANY help would be so much appreciated!
  15. Hey Guys,
    Today I talked to those bullshit people(WD), the same problem occurred to me also and the only solution is hiring a third party professional data recovery company (which costs heavy bucks).

    I cannot understand, if the hard disk failure happens, the only responsible is the company for ur data loss. so why dont they provide the data recovery service too.

    its totally bullshit....

    angry guy
  16. Same BS here. Tried all the above solutions but to no effect.
    Had the HD for almost 3 years, never a problem. Doesn't make any sense what so ever :(
    Particularly frustrating that this does not seem like a fluke error but happens to quite a lot of unlucky souls.

    The whole reason I bought an HD in the first place was to create a backup for all my files in a save way in case my laptop crashed... F me

    Thanks WD
  17. I had the same problem with my WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB HDD. I was moving a file into the drive and the device hung. I cancelled the move and, thereafter, I lost the drive. I rebooted my PC and plugged in my drive. The light the drive was flashing, but I cannot see my drive in the Windows Explorer. I panicked and went looking for a solution and came upon this thread. I experienced what the other people here were experiencing and decided to work it out myself when no one here had the solution to the problem. Good news. I got lucky.

    My best guess was that the drive was still working because of the flashing light, but it was running very slow because of a file system error. I decided to wait it out until I see the drive in the Windows Explorer. A hour later, a drive icon pops up in the Windows Explorer, but with no information about the drive. The drive was assigned a drive letter, but it had no name or size. I clicked the drive icon and I get to see the drive’s directory. I could start copying my files to another drive at this point, but, since the drive was running very slow, I decided against it. But if you have a critical file that you need to get back, do copy it now. The recovery process that will follow next will not guarantee success or that that file will still be viable. Remember it will be slow and may look as if the process hung. You need to be patient. Do write anything into the drive! It could worsen the problem.

    Now, on to the recovery process. Go back to drive icon in the Windows Explorer. Right-click on the icon and click Properties > Tools > Check Now. Check the 2 boxes in the Check Now window and click Start. Again, this will be a slow process and will take some time. Mine took 3 days to finish. You need to be patient and leave the PC alone to finish the job. And as I said before, I got lucky. I have my drive and files back!

    I hope you have the same luck!
  18. So yea, my external hard drive ( WD elements 2tb ) was working perfectly fine yesterday, nothing happened since (didnt drop it or anything) and now it's not working anymore. Plug it in the computer it detects it I can safely remove hardware etc but wont show up in my computer. The hard drive still lights up, weird noises then after a while the noises stop but HD still lighted up. Cant detect it in disk management. Anyone found a way!? Please help got 1 year of pictures from travelling around the world :(
  19. zoopreme said:
    So yea, my external hard drive ( WD elements 2tb ) was working perfectly fine yesterday, nothing happened since (didnt drop it or anything) and now it's not working anymore. Plug it in the computer it detects it I can safely remove hardware etc but wont show up in my computer. The hard drive still lights up, weird noises then after a while the noises stop but HD still lighted up. Cant detect it in disk management. Anyone found a way!? Please help got 1 year of pictures from travelling around the world :(




    Read and follow my solution. It works. Plug your drive it your computer and wait. It will take a long time before your computer sees the drive and identifies it. I mean a really long time. Leave it plugged in for a day if you have to. When it does identify it, follow the next steps that I mention before.
  20. I have 2 x 2TB Western digital passport drives connected to my laptop. Both are USB 3.0 compatible.

    One of them NEVER shows up (Not in Device manager etc) if I plug it into a USB 3.0 port when the other drive is already connected.

    The temporary fix is to simply unplug it and move it to a USB 2.0 port I have on the laptop. This works 100% of the time. Hopefully some of you have that extra port as well as this will make life easy for you. But you get the slower transfer rate of USB 2.0. Not a big deal to me.

    However, THERE IS a fix out there that I can't find right now. It was a great response which used the diskpart utility to fix the issue. WITHOUT reformatting your drive or losing any data. I'm still looking for it because I forgot to book mark the site....doh!! When I find it I'll come back and post a link.
  21. This is weird. After plugging the drive into the USB 2 port. I moved it back to USB 3.0 and voila BOTH WD drives are visible and assigned drive letters.

    Not a fix but at least I can see my drive.
  22. Update: I had to remove the external drive and let it find it again. Once I did that and went back to the Check now part, it clearly showed the "start" going. However, a few mins in I get an error that says "can't check drive while it's in use"... wtf !!! I am not using it for anything other then this check ... any suggestions?

    Diligent:

    I followed your directions and it sorta worked! I can see my external hard drive, I have managed to move my critical files (took a long time but worth it). I am not at your recovery process. When I check off the 2 boxes under Check Now and click start ... nothing happens. How do you know if it is checking your hard drive .. does a pop-up box appear?


    Diligent said:
    I had the same problem with my WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB HDD. I was moving a file into the drive and the device hung. I cancelled the move and, thereafter, I lost the drive. I rebooted my PC and plugged in my drive. The light the drive was flashing, but I cannot see my drive in the Windows Explorer. I panicked and went looking for a solution and came upon this thread. I experienced what the other people here were experiencing and decided to work it out myself when no one here had the solution to the problem. Good news. I got lucky.

    My best guess was that the drive was still working because of the flashing light, but it was running very slow because of a file system error. I decided to wait it out until I see the drive in the Windows Explorer. A hour later, a drive icon pops up in the Windows Explorer, but with no information about the drive. The drive was assigned a drive letter, but it had no name or size. I clicked the drive icon and I get to see the drive’s directory. I could start copying my files to another drive at this point, but, since the drive was running very slow, I decided against it. But if you have a critical file that you need to get back, do copy it now. The recovery process that will follow next will not guarantee success or that that file will still be viable. Remember it will be slow and may look as if the process hung. You need to be patient. Do write anything into the drive! It could worsen the problem.

    Now, on to the recovery process. Go back to drive icon in the Windows Explorer. Right-click on the icon and click Properties > Tools > Check Now. Check the 2 boxes in the Check Now window and click Start. Again, this will be a slow process and will take some time. Mine took 3 days to finish. You need to be patient and leave the PC alone to finish the job. And as I said before, I got lucky. I have my drive and files back!

    I hope you have the same luck!


    Diligent said:
    zoopreme said:
    So yea, my external hard drive ( WD elements 2tb ) was working perfectly fine yesterday, nothing happened since (didnt drop it or anything) and now it's not working anymore. Plug it in the computer it detects it I can safely remove hardware etc but wont show up in my computer. The hard drive still lights up, weird noises then after a while the noises stop but HD still lighted up. Cant detect it in disk management. Anyone found a way!? Please help got 1 year of pictures from travelling around the world :(




    Read and follow my solution. It works. Plug your drive it your computer and wait. It will take a long time before your computer sees the drive and identifies it. I mean a really long time. Leave it plugged in for a day if you have to. When it does identify it, follow the next steps that I mention before.
  23. i pluck my failure passport into ChromeBook and it works!! i backup everything online!
  24. Facing the same problem as the rest. Using the solution provided by Diligent. Would like to ask if I need the admin rights during the recovery process?
  25. I can only but agree with whoever said to plug in the drive and wait until it recognizes it.

    I am currently dealing with TWO failed external WD drives, one is a 2011 1TB my passport SE that all of a sudden became slow and unusable. It also was unrecognized by the OS. I was contemplating using the freezer trick as I thought it was a temperature issue that stopped it working after a short while. Instead, a few days later, in an attempt to try to get into it with a data recovery program, I left it plugged in (light was flashing) and waited almost 30 minutes and it appeared. I was able to pull all the data off it (except for a couple of bad sectors). S.M.A.R.T program has warned me that it is failing.

    Second drive is a 250gb My Passport, this also was plugged in after not having used it in a year, and it turned on fine. Unplugged it, plugged it in later in the day and it was unrecognizable. It shows up on Disk utility, but it is unmounted. So I could only get into it with a data recovery program. I was able to recover everything, but obviously all file structure/names are wiped. I guess better than nothing.
  26. Guys,

    This MAY be the solution to all your problems.

    I was in the exact same dilemma when my HDD would power on but not be acknowledged on my Win8.1 laptop.

    Turns out, i had defined a few network drives on my laptop. Just as C: is default for your OS, D: and E: were partitions I created. In the past (when I did not define a network drive "I:") my WD would load as Drive I:, but seeing that this drive had now been defined as a network path, WD wasn't smart enough to create a new drive to launch the HDD.

    SOLUTION: Rename your network drives starting from Z (backward). I did that, and bingo - I had my 'WD Password Unlocker' running as good as new.

    Hope this helps.

    Thank me at josephjohn02@gmail.com
  27. WolfsBane said:
    I have a WD My Passport 0740 500GB external HD that stopped working just 2-3 months after I started using it. And it filled to the brim, too. I tried taking it to the local IT store to recover the data, but no luck. ( PS, they opened the casing, so warranty is void).The light on the HD turns on. The Hard Drive is recognized. But it does not show up on Windows Explorer (windows 7 Ultimate). I've read a number of forum posts regarding the issue and checked that:

    a) the HD does not show up in that BIOS.
    b) when I open disk management, the HD does show up as disk1, but with no bar.

    At this point i've given up on recovering the data. But if the HD proves salvagable in any way, I'd be gratefull.
  28. I had read all of the horror stories concerning the WD external HD. I was unable to read the drive and my computer (win7) kept instructing me to initialize the Passport. I tried all of the advice given in all the forums I searched with no success but alot of time infront of my computer praying I would not loose the information contained within (35g). My passport had failed me two years earlier and I put it to the side and at times would hope for a miracle and attach it to the computer. NO LUCK! Last evening I searched for any program and was specific about using search words that described an external disc not recognized by my computer and PRESTO I was introduced to "EaseUs". I downloaded the free trial and it activated my external HD without it being recognized under mycomputer. As I type with joyful strikes to the keyboard my information is being recovered after two years of thinking I lost it all. I used a coupon found on line and my cost was the best $44.97 ever spent to ease my mind and regain my files. I am not a computer wiz nor did I have the money to takes my HD to a professional. It was a simple and long process but I enjoyed every time the program racked up another file. Additionally I DO NOT WORK FOR NOR DO I HAVE ANY CONNECTION TO THIS COMPANY except as a customer.
  29. My WD My Passport 500 gb decided to crash while I was traveling, having tons of travel photos, songs I've been working on etc. I'm using a Mac. It didn't show up in finder, but in disc utility. I did a check, it said it needs to be repaired. Tried to repair, but got the message "your hard drive is fubar" (or something like that).

    I just downloaded the firmware update from the WD homepage. It worked. I could access my files again, and I just saved them.

    TIP: UPDATE FIRMWARE!
  30. I had the unrecognized drive message and it didn't show up in disk management either. It was a bad USB3.0 cable. Try a known working USB3.0 cable before taking drastic measures.

    Luckily, I had a second known working WD MyPassport drive I could test with so I used that good cable on both drives and they both worked fine. Tried the bad cable on both and they both got the unrecognized drive message. I think I bent the cable slightly at one point and it caused the problem. NEW CABLE FIXED MY ISSUE.
  31. Did you find any solution? I am facing the same problem.
  32. Pitler said:
    My WD My Passport 500 gb decided to crash while I was traveling, having tons of travel photos, songs I've been working on etc. I'm using a Mac. It didn't show up in finder, but in disc utility. I did a check, it said it needs to be repaired. Tried to repair, but got the message "your hard drive is fubar" (or something like that).

    I just downloaded the firmware update from the WD homepage. It worked. I could access my files again, and I just saved them.

    TIP: UPDATE FIRMWARE!


    This worked for me on my 1tb drive. Thanks heaps...
  33. HI
    I have a WD 1 TB HDD, the device is giving me an option to unlock it but after that it doesn't open the drive. a drive comes up which looks diff than others ( c,d & e) and when i open it, its blank. I go to disk fragmentation it shows by drive there but can't do anything there.
    I go to properties and it shows memory full and data size 0. Tried data recovery free softwares, they were not able to find the driver on the computer.
    Light is on, it vibrates everything i fine ..it just doesn't work.

    I have my comp data in it and if i dont fix it i am fired for sure...I boss said a straight NO to data recovery as it expensive.
    please help buddy....i am in a very very bad situation...
  34. did you you fix it? i have the exactly same problem but didn't find the solution
  35. I used ease us recovery software, worked but for recovering the data they r asking to activate/purchase the license for $99. so still looking for a free software..
  36. I have a drive that went dead as network storage drive. When I plugged it in the computer, it would not boot straight to Windows. Even when in BIOS, the SATA cable was turned off. I turned it on, still to no avail. I booted up successfully to Safe Mode. It does not show the 2nd drive at all.

    The main issue here is I cannot use the computer as normally as I would with the 2nd drive in the system. What do you suggest I do?
  37. Diligent - my 0740 passport is showing up but it's not showing any of my files. I can see that the drive has a lot of data on it but none of my files are visible. I've left my passport plugged in for a couple of days now, and again, I can see it, but the files still aren't showing up. Any ideas for me?
  38. ChuckyJJ said:
    Pitler said:
    My WD My Passport 500 gb decided to crash while I was traveling, having tons of travel photos, songs I've been working on etc. I'm using a Mac. It didn't show up in finder, but in disc utility. I did a check, it said it needs to be repaired. Tried to repair, but got the message "your hard drive is fubar" (or something like that).

    I just downloaded the firmware update from the WD homepage. It worked. I could access my files again, and I just saved them.

    TIP: UPDATE FIRMWARE!


    This worked for me on my 1tb drive. Thanks heaps...


    Hi, how did this work exactly? I tried downloading the universal firmware updater but in order to update the computer/updater must first recognize it, which it doesn't in the first place if you're in this thread. So I'm unsure how this worked for you..
  39. satori6 said:
    Diligent - my 0740 passport is showing up but it's not showing any of my files. I can see that the drive has a lot of data on it but none of my files are visible. I've left my passport plugged in for a couple of days now, and again, I can see it, but the files still aren't showing up. Any ideas for me?


    try to use an 3rd party explorer like servant salamander to view your unseen(but not hidden) files.
  40. my hard disk 0740 my passport not showing in Explorer, size is 0 in managment of Windows
    and it asking about intialization, but then i got error message.
    i tried to update the Firmware, i got the error message that the hard disk is used,
    i tried in Mac it sais that the hard disk is portected,
    and there is no protection or Password
    but i think the harddisk showing it is used,
    i can not see the hard disk in Explorer of Windows or in Disk utilities of Mac, but Software of Firmware can recognize it but not update it because it is in used
    i restart the Computer but it is the same, i do not use any things which is using the hard disk
  41. My HD was showing up in devices but wouldn't let me see or use the contents inside. The light come on and the computer was detecting the HD so that led me to the driver. I checked the driver and it was the correct most up to date driver. My next solution was to delete the HD from the devices folder and then re plug it in and then PROBLEM SOLVED!!! The HD reinstalled and everything was working fine. My problem started because I let my mother in law use my hard drive to watch movies and come to find out she unplugged the drive in the middle of the movie so that led me to believe it was stuck in the movie file. Always remember to correctly eject your HD or anything plugged in that is USB. If you're watching movies stop the movie before removing the HD. If you are removing it from a desktop or laptop etc Properly eject the HD so it prevents problems like this and the hardware is safe to remove. I hope this helps somebody with a similar problem! GL
  42. THANKS ALOT .. THIS SOLUTION IS 100% WORKING.. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TYPE THE CODE AS IT IS MENTIONED AND WAIT TILL IT AUTOMATICALLY FINISHES.. DON'T INTERRUPT THE PROCEDURE... YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE YOUR VALUABLE BACKUPS ..

    The fault is with the partition table on your external hard drive. You can fix it by doing the following:

    Open an elevated command prompt (Start menu → type cmd → hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    Type in the following command and press Enter:

    chkdsk E: Replace E: with the letter of the drive you want to check.

    After it finishes and gives you a report on bad sectors, retype the command, but add the /F switch:

    chkdsk E: /F That should fix it. It took about 30 minutes for me, and when the process was done my files were still there.

    -Narean-
  43. Boy this thread has been going on for quite a while. Keep in mind that chkdsk reallocates your data to different sectors and then marks the bad sectors as unusable. The problem lies where the utility does a terrible job reading bad sectors (it times out too early during the read if the sector has damage) so it may not reallocate them in their entirety leaving them incomplete and as corrupted files. It's a gamble, so be prepared to for the risk with this method.
  44. I had the same problems as everyone else where one day it was fine and out of the blue nothing could recognize the darn thing. I tried different computers with different versions of windows and still no respond.

    My last attempt however did work. I plugged the passport into my routers USB port and gave it a few minutes and BAM! All was found!
  45. While some solutions posted in this thread may solve the problem in the correct set of causal circumstances, none worked for me. What did work for me is:

    1) Unplugged WD Passport 0740
    2) I removed Acronis True Image via Control Panel, rebooted
    3) Used Acronis Clean Tool, rebooted.
    3) Removed WD SES driver via WD msi installer from WD webiste, rebooted.
    4) Reinstalled WD SES driver and plugged in my WD 0740.

    Worked for me.
  46. GOOD NEWS!!
    I had the same issue with my WD passport.
    No response when plugged into my laptop.
    Only the white light (steady on).
    Tried every port,no luck.
    Tried update firmware. did not take because the hard drive wasn't recognized.
    Saw one answer that recommended changing the cord.
    I figured it didn't matter since I did have the light come on.
    Tried anyway.
    Took my charge cord from my Motorola android smart phone and
    it worked.
    The system immediately downloaded new software and my files appeared minutes later.
    I thought that I was dead in the water!!!
    Good luck.
    Mark C.
  47. IT WORKS! IT WORKS!!!
    I cant believe I found a solution to the exact same issues the posts before me have experienced.

    If your drive is visible, skip to step#2

    #1- If your drive is not being recognized, try it on a different laptop/pc. For reasons unbeknownst to me, the drive was visible (still corrupted) when I switched to another Laptop.

    #2- Go to Seagate's Online Data Recovery http://www.seagate.com/services-software/seagate-recovery-services/recover/?cmpid=ppc-_-SRS-_-G-_-us

    Use the free trial, it will tell you if the files are recoverable BEFORE you buy!!
    LOW AND BEHOLD, I COULD SEE ALL OF MY LOST FILES USING THEIR SOFTWARE!!!
    Next, it will ask where you want the files to be transferred to (obviously not to the same POS WD Drive)....and then it will ask you to purchase. It was 99 bucks and soooooo worth it! I added the key, and it fricken recovered over 76k files. I think Im gonna cry!
  48. Diligent: Your solution partially worked for me as at least the ext drive could finally be seen by the computer. The drive was indeed running very slowly and the HDCheck and repair took nearly 24hours to complete. After the disk mounted Win 7 wanted to reformat it so I tried updating the Firmware ... this didnt work. I then did a Google for an old app I used 20+years ago "Norton Disk Dr" and I found on another forum that it had morphed over the years into an app like Partition Table Doctor, which is now known as EaseUs. Mentioned earlier in this thread. I tried the demo version and success. I could see all 35Gb of files. The demo only allows 2Gb recovery so I asked the owner of the disk how much she wanted her data (Aus$100) $No problem. All files recovered.
  49. Narenkumar Muthaiah said:
    THANKS ALOT .. THIS SOLUTION IS 100% WORKING.. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TYPE THE CODE AS IT IS MENTIONED AND WAIT TILL IT AUTOMATICALLY FINISHES.. DON'T INTERRUPT THE PROCEDURE... YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE YOUR VALUABLE BACKUPS ..

    The fault is with the partition table on your external hard drive. You can fix it by doing the following:

    Open an elevated command prompt (Start menu → type cmd → hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

    Type in the following command and press Enter:

    chkdsk E: Replace E: with the letter of the drive you want to check.

    After it finishes and gives you a report on bad sectors, retype the command, but add the /F switch:

    chkdsk E: /F That should fix it. It took about 30 minutes for me, and when the process was done my files were still there.

    -Narean-



    Hi Nerean I tried your solution but in the end " Error Found, CHKDSK cannot continue in read only mode.

    What should i do? i have important files on my WD 0740 1TB. T_T please help, thank you!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital HD Storage