new video card

I am ready to get a new card (I get one every couple of years).

Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet?? I would prefer nvidia since
thats what I have always used in the past, but if its going to be a while, I
suppose I will go with a x800 ati card. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. I am aware of pricewatch.com and stuff, but since this is a
bit more of a high dollar purchase, I was hoping to just be able to follow
someone elses lead that bought one in the last week or so (if available).

thank you.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

Meltdown

Mickster enlightened us with:
> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??

You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,

next!

I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this newsgroup
would know.

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> Mickster enlightened us with:
> > Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
>
> You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
>
> MeltDown
> --
> !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:18:26 -0500, "Mickster"
<mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote:

>I am ready to get a new card (I get one every couple of years).
>
>Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??

I'll step up to the plate and actually answer the question :)

No, the 6800s are not yet available. Doing a search on pricewatch.com
shows that the 6800 isn't even included in their videocard category
yet, and the few site that do list the card are pre-orders only.

And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?

-s-

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:52:01 -0400, Steven L Cox
<stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
>trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
>Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
>points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
>when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
>for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
>anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
>Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?

This one's a bit different. ATI's and Nvidia's latest offerings are
out-performing the previous versions by a factor of two, which is a
much bigger jump than we've seen in the past. I agree with your
general principle though. What I'm going to do is wait for the
midrange versions of these cards to become available. They would
still outperform the previous top-of-the-line cards, yet be in the
magical $200 range.

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:53:12 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Mickster enlightened us with:
>> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
>
>You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
>
>MeltDown

Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge
of current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to
ask.

MeltDown wrote:

> Mickster enlightened us with:
>> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
>
> You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.

They will sell you the most expensive card they have. If a better and
cheaper card comes out next week, they will try even harder to sell theire
soon outdated expensive cards.

Thomas

--
gnuPG key: 0x012CF58B

Yep, this will be my first time to buy top of the line (usually I get the
best card for $200). This time though, the new generation of both ati and
nvidia are basically twice as fast as the last generation. So I though it
might be fun for once to buy top of the line. Probably be the first and
last time I ever do.

--

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:52:01 -0400, Steven L Cox
> <stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
> >trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
> >Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
> >points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
> >when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
> >for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
> >anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
> >Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?
>
> This one's a bit different. ATI's and Nvidia's latest offerings are
> out-performing the previous versions by a factor of two, which is a
> much bigger jump than we've seen in the past. I agree with your
> general principle though. What I'm going to do is wait for the
> midrange versions of these cards to become available. They would
> still outperform the previous top-of-the-line cards, yet be in the
> magical $200 range.

try looking on ebay,i tink i have seen them the x800 and the 6800.although
im not sure if the 6800 was for pre-order only.

damyjuk

"Mickster" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
> ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,
>

> next!
>
> I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this newsgroup
> would know.
>

> "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> > Mickster enlightened us with:
> > > Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
> >
> > You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
> >
> > MeltDown
> > --
> > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

try looking on ebay,i tink i have seen them the x800 and the 6800.although
im not sure if the 6800 was for pre-order only.

damyjuk

"Mickster" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
> ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,
>

> next!
>
> I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this newsgroup
> would know.
>

> "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> > Mickster enlightened us with:
> > > Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
> >
> > You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
> >
> > MeltDown
> > --
> > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Meltdown

Folk enlightened us with:
> Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge
> of current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to
> ask.

Ok, fair enough. Personally, I don't bother following which cryptic
numberered video card has been released today or will be released
tomorrow. I'll study them when I have both the need and the money to buy
a new card. :)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

It might be worth waiting just a little bit until the end of this month /
beginning of next and gettinga PCI express one (along with a motherboard I
suppose) beacuse I was having a good read about these cards. Apparently
both nVidia and ATI are going to use these basic architectures for over a
year due to the development costs incurred. No more 6monthly cycle by any
means. The benchmarks that have been done all conclude that the card's
power is being CPU limited. Thus, if (when) you get a faster processor,
you'll be able to carry the card over, whereas if you get a slower AGP
card, chances are you won't be able to use it on the mobo you get at the
time as AGP will have been hoofed out of the window. Sorry that's quite a
convoluted explanation, but I'm tired & can't be bothered to refine it =]

In short, get a PCI-X one and a new mobo. That way you can use you current
proc, upgrade it later and get a speed boost that is more than
proportional that the processor speed increase, thus ensuring your
investment lasts longer for the $£¤

Plus, PCI Express is abbreviated PIC-X, which has an 'X' in it, therfore
is cool. Geek chic, as it were. </bulls*it>

--
IWIK

martin

Mickster wrote:
> ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,
>

> next!
>
> I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this
> newsgroup would know.

Just as an aside, if you think might ever run Linux, go for an Nvidia card -
the drivers are much better than ATI.

Martin

---

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

> Yep, this will be my first time to buy top of the line (usually I get the
> best card for $200). This time though, the new generation of both ati
and
> nvidia are basically twice as fast as the last generation. So I though it
> might be fun for once to buy top of the line. Probably be the first and
> last time I ever do.
>

> --
> Mickster

Before you go out and splash the cash its always good policy to check out a
couple of the tech-head sites and see what you are or are not getting
despite the ludicrous claims of certain manufacturers (remember if you
believe M$ every version of windows has been faster more stable more
intuitive and my ass smells of roses!) try
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html
and its also worth looking at the forums just to be certain your selected
board will work with your mobo been (there done that) radeon issues being a
case in point
Nick_Dastardly aka {DnF2}Del-uk

---

Man, it took all the way 'til Steve to give the guy a straight answer.

This can be a good place to get feedback - just realize, it's based on a
combination of opinion and knowledge, subjective and objective.

Now, I've got a GeForce Ti4600 from two years ago. It is still a very good
card (UT04 w/ all the eye candy cranked on my P4 2.53GHz stock Dell / 512
RAM is still a great experience). I paid top-dollar at the time and I'm
thankful for it now. So, part of your answer lies in when you would even
consider making your "next" upgrade.

The PCI-Express wisdom? My clan mate has said that's gonna be killer (I
trust his opinion, he's a true tech-head), so it might indeed be to your
benefit to wait - if you're willing to drop the $ on the card and mobo.

If you're just looking to jump at the card, while I like my Nvidia, I've
heard a lot of positive scuttlebut on the ATI's and would probably recommend
one of them. No, I'm not speaking from a side-by-side comparison, just the
wisdom of some friends whom I trust.

I would suppose if you bought a previous generation (the "hot ticket" from 6
months ago), that card would still serve you quite well for several years.

And too - what you have around it in terms of mobo, chip, RAM, etc. could be
a great benefit or curse. Best of luck in your explorations. I'm one who
reads and reads, searches opinion, fact, and fancy, and then tries to make
the best decision based on my gut. If ya post a query on our website, you
might get some worthwhile responses.

FeldrewCo30
www.co30.com

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:08:28 -0400, Folk wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:53:12 +0200, MeltDown
> <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
>
>>Mickster enlightened us with:
>>> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
>>
>>You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
>>
>>MeltDown
>
> Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge of
> current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to ask.

Would you suggest posting to all the FPS games groups for the same reason?
I doubt it. Seems to me that alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia would be
a much better place to ask.

--
Ian.

EOM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:19:29 +0100, Ian Hastie
<ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:08:28 -0400, Folk wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:53:12 +0200, MeltDown
>> <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Mickster enlightened us with:
>>>
>>>You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
>>>
>>>MeltDown
>>
>> Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge of
>> current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to ask.
>
>Would you suggest posting to all the FPS games groups for the same reason?
>I doubt it. Seems to me that alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia would be
>a much better place to ask.

But I'm not anal retentive.

Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:
>But I'm not anal retentive.

Isn't it "anal-retentive"?

8*)

--
William Smith

Steven L Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:18:26 -0500, "Mickster"
> <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote:
>
>> I am ready to get a new card (I get one every couple of years).
>>
>> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
>
> I'll step up to the plate and actually answer the question :)
>
> No, the 6800s are not yet available. Doing a search on pricewatch.com
> shows that the 6800 isn't even included in their videocard category
> yet, and the few site that do list the card are pre-orders only.
>
> And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
> trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
> Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
> points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
> when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
> for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
> anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
> Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?
>
> -s-

yo, i do the same. have u been watching the price of the nvidia cards TI4200
? they rarely rise with their price, cause they are very good performing, no
new games use the effects that are available of fresh developed cards.
gaming industry is mostly back 1 1/2 half year to imply the available
effects of newer gpu's...
hth

Andrew

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:37:14 +0200, "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de>
wrote:

>yo, i do the same. have u been watching the price of the nvidia cards TI4200
>? they rarely rise with their price, cause they are very good performing, no
>new games use the effects that are available of fresh developed cards.
>gaming industry is mostly back 1 1/2 half year to imply the available
>effects of newer gpu's...

You mean apart from the games that use DX9 graphics? Good luck getting
a 4200 to run PS2.0 graphics.

Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:37:14 +0200, "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> yo, i do the same. have u been watching the price of the nvidia
>> cards TI4200 ? they rarely rise with their price, cause they are
>> very good performing, no new games use the effects that are
>> available of fresh developed cards. gaming industry is mostly back 1
>> 1/2 half year to imply the available effects of newer gpu's...
>
> You mean apart from the games that use DX9 graphics? Good luck getting
> a 4200 to run PS2.0 graphics.

oki doki. i bougt my nv4280 just for ut2k3 - your point. but what plz is
PS2.0 graphics? is it a linux thing? i am on xp. assuming that u said dx9 i
believe u r under xp...

Andrew

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:26:35 +0200, "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de>
wrote:

>oki doki. i bougt my nv4280 just for ut2k3 - your point. but what plz is
>PS2.0 graphics? is it a linux thing? i am on xp. assuming that u said dx9 i
>believe u r under xp...

That just confirms you shouldn't be advising people on what hardware
to buy.

>> But I'm not anal retentive.
> Isn't it "anal-retentive"?

'an anal retentive' or 'anally retentive'

:p

--
IWIK

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:58:52 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote:

>Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:
>>But I'm not anal retentive.
>
>Isn't it "anal-retentive"?
>
>8*)

OMFG <G>

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:57:07 -0400, Folk wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:19:29 +0100, Ian Hastie <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:08:28 -0400, Folk wrote:

>>> Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge
>>> of current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to
>>> ask.
>>
>>Would you suggest posting to all the FPS games groups for the same
>>reason? I doubt it. Seems to me that alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
>>would be a much better place to ask.
>
> But I'm not anal retentive.

Good for you, but do you have an actual point to make? Obviously
not. Can't say I'm surprised.

--
Ian.

EOM