new video card

I am ready to get a new card (I get one every couple of years).

Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet?? I would prefer nvidia since
thats what I have always used in the past, but if its going to be a while, I
suppose I will go with a x800 ati card. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. I am aware of pricewatch.com and stuff, but since this is a
bit more of a high dollar purchase, I was hoping to just be able to follow
someone elses lead that bought one in the last week or so (if available).

thank you.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com
29 answers Last reply
More about video card
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Mickster enlightened us with:
    > Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??

    You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,

    next!

    I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this newsgroup
    would know.

    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
    > Mickster enlightened us with:
    > > Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
    >
    > You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
    >
    > MeltDown
    > --
    > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:18:26 -0500, "Mickster"
    <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote:

    >I am ready to get a new card (I get one every couple of years).
    >
    >Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??

    I'll step up to the plate and actually answer the question :)

    No, the 6800s are not yet available. Doing a search on pricewatch.com
    shows that the 6800 isn't even included in their videocard category
    yet, and the few site that do list the card are pre-orders only.

    And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
    trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
    Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
    points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
    when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
    for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
    anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
    Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?

    -s-
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:52:01 -0400, Steven L Cox
    <stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
    >trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
    >Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
    >points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
    >when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
    >for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
    >anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
    >Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?

    This one's a bit different. ATI's and Nvidia's latest offerings are
    out-performing the previous versions by a factor of two, which is a
    much bigger jump than we've seen in the past. I agree with your
    general principle though. What I'm going to do is wait for the
    midrange versions of these cards to become available. They would
    still outperform the previous top-of-the-line cards, yet be in the
    magical $200 range.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:53:12 +0200, MeltDown
    <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

    >Mickster enlightened us with:
    >> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
    >
    >You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
    >
    >MeltDown

    Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge
    of current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to
    ask.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:

    > Mickster enlightened us with:
    >> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
    >
    > You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.

    They will sell you the most expensive card they have. If a better and
    cheaper card comes out next week, they will try even harder to sell theire
    soon outdated expensive cards.

    Thomas

    --
    gnuPG key: 0x012CF58B
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Yep, this will be my first time to buy top of the line (usually I get the
    best card for $200). This time though, the new generation of both ati and
    nvidia are basically twice as fast as the last generation. So I though it
    might be fun for once to buy top of the line. Probably be the first and
    last time I ever do.

    --

    "Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:52:01 -0400, Steven L Cox
    > <stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
    > >trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
    > >Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
    > >points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
    > >when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
    > >for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
    > >anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
    > >Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?
    >
    > This one's a bit different. ATI's and Nvidia's latest offerings are
    > out-performing the previous versions by a factor of two, which is a
    > much bigger jump than we've seen in the past. I agree with your
    > general principle though. What I'm going to do is wait for the
    > midrange versions of these cards to become available. They would
    > still outperform the previous top-of-the-line cards, yet be in the
    > magical $200 range.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    try looking on ebay,i tink i have seen them the x800 and the 6800.although
    im not sure if the 6800 was for pre-order only.

    damyjuk

    "Mickster" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
    > ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,
    >

    > next!
    >
    > I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this newsgroup
    > would know.
    >

    > "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
    > > Mickster enlightened us with:
    > > > Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
    > >
    > > You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
    > >
    > > MeltDown
    > > --
    > > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    try looking on ebay,i tink i have seen them the x800 and the 6800.although
    im not sure if the 6800 was for pre-order only.

    damyjuk

    "Mickster" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
    > ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,
    >

    > next!
    >
    > I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this newsgroup
    > would know.
    >

    > "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
    > > Mickster enlightened us with:
    > > > Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
    > >
    > > You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
    > >
    > > MeltDown
    > > --
    > > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Folk enlightened us with:
    > Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge
    > of current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to
    > ask.

    Ok, fair enough. Personally, I don't bother following which cryptic
    numberered video card has been released today or will be released
    tomorrow. I'll study them when I have both the need and the money to buy
    a new card. :)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    It might be worth waiting just a little bit until the end of this month /
    beginning of next and gettinga PCI express one (along with a motherboard I
    suppose) beacuse I was having a good read about these cards. Apparently
    both nVidia and ATI are going to use these basic architectures for over a
    year due to the development costs incurred. No more 6monthly cycle by any
    means. The benchmarks that have been done all conclude that the card's
    power is being CPU limited. Thus, if (when) you get a faster processor,
    you'll be able to carry the card over, whereas if you get a slower AGP
    card, chances are you won't be able to use it on the mobo you get at the
    time as AGP will have been hoofed out of the window. Sorry that's quite a
    convoluted explanation, but I'm tired & can't be bothered to refine it =]

    In short, get a PCI-X one and a new mobo. That way you can use you current
    proc, upgrade it later and get a speed boost that is more than
    proportional that the processor speed increase, thus ensuring your
    investment lasts longer for the $£¤

    Plus, PCI Express is abbreviated PIC-X, which has an 'X' in it, therfore
    is cool. Geek chic, as it were. </bulls*it>

    --
    IWIK
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Mickster wrote:
    > ok, there is the first piece of bad advice,
    >

    > next!
    >
    > I figure if the 6800's are available the 3d tech heads in this
    > newsgroup would know.

    Just as an aside, if you think might ever run Linux, go for an Nvidia card -
    the drivers are much better than ATI.

    Martin

    ---
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    > Yep, this will be my first time to buy top of the line (usually I get the
    > best card for $200). This time though, the new generation of both ati
    and
    > nvidia are basically twice as fast as the last generation. So I though it
    > might be fun for once to buy top of the line. Probably be the first and
    > last time I ever do.
    >

    > --
    > Mickster

    Before you go out and splash the cash its always good policy to check out a
    couple of the tech-head sites and see what you are or are not getting
    despite the ludicrous claims of certain manufacturers (remember if you
    believe M$ every version of windows has been faster more stable more
    intuitive and my ass smells of roses!) try
    http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html
    and its also worth looking at the forums just to be certain your selected
    board will work with your mobo been (there done that) radeon issues being a
    case in point
    Nick_Dastardly aka {DnF2}Del-uk

    ---
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Man, it took all the way 'til Steve to give the guy a straight answer.

    This can be a good place to get feedback - just realize, it's based on a
    combination of opinion and knowledge, subjective and objective.

    Now, I've got a GeForce Ti4600 from two years ago. It is still a very good
    card (UT04 w/ all the eye candy cranked on my P4 2.53GHz stock Dell / 512
    RAM is still a great experience). I paid top-dollar at the time and I'm
    thankful for it now. So, part of your answer lies in when you would even
    consider making your "next" upgrade.

    The PCI-Express wisdom? My clan mate has said that's gonna be killer (I
    trust his opinion, he's a true tech-head), so it might indeed be to your
    benefit to wait - if you're willing to drop the $ on the card and mobo.

    If you're just looking to jump at the card, while I like my Nvidia, I've
    heard a lot of positive scuttlebut on the ATI's and would probably recommend
    one of them. No, I'm not speaking from a side-by-side comparison, just the
    wisdom of some friends whom I trust.

    I would suppose if you bought a previous generation (the "hot ticket" from 6
    months ago), that card would still serve you quite well for several years.

    And too - what you have around it in terms of mobo, chip, RAM, etc. could be
    a great benefit or curse. Best of luck in your explorations. I'm one who
    reads and reads, searches opinion, fact, and fancy, and then tries to make
    the best decision based on my gut. If ya post a query on our website, you
    might get some worthwhile responses.

    FeldrewCo30
    www.co30.com

    Del wrote:
    > "Mickster" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
    >> Yep, this will be my first time to buy top of the line (usually I
    >> get the best card for $200). This time though, the new generation
    >> of both ati and nvidia are basically twice as fast as the last
    >> generation. So I though it might be fun for once to buy top of the
    >> line. Probably be the first and last time I ever do.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mickster
    >>
    > Before you go out and splash the cash its always good policy to
    > check out a couple of the tech-head sites and see what you are or are
    > not getting despite the ludicrous claims of certain manufacturers
    > (remember if you believe M$ every version of windows has been faster
    > more stable more intuitive and my ass smells of roses!) try
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1551640,00.asp
    > and its also worth looking at the forums just to be certain your
    > selected board will work with your mobo been (there done that) radeon
    > issues being a case in point
    > Nick_Dastardly aka {DnF2}Del-uk
    >

    > ---
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:08:28 -0400, Folk wrote:

    > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:53:12 +0200, MeltDown
    > <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Mickster enlightened us with:
    >>> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
    >>
    >>You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
    >>
    >>MeltDown
    >
    > Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge of
    > current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to ask.

    Would you suggest posting to all the FPS games groups for the same reason?
    I doubt it. Seems to me that alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia would be
    a much better place to ask.

    --
    Ian.

    EOM
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:19:29 +0100, Ian Hastie
    <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:08:28 -0400, Folk wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 07:53:12 +0200, MeltDown
    >> <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mickster enlightened us with:
    >>>
    >>>You'll be better off asking such questions in a computer store.
    >>>
    >>>MeltDown
    >>
    >> Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge of
    >> current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to ask.
    >
    >Would you suggest posting to all the FPS games groups for the same reason?
    >I doubt it. Seems to me that alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia would be
    >a much better place to ask.

    But I'm not anal retentive.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:
    >But I'm not anal retentive.

    Isn't it "anal-retentive"?

    8*)

    --
    William Smith
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Steven L Cox wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:18:26 -0500, "Mickster"
    > <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I am ready to get a new card (I get one every couple of years).
    >>
    >> Are the new nvidia 6800 cards available yet??
    >
    > I'll step up to the plate and actually answer the question :)
    >
    > No, the 6800s are not yet available. Doing a search on pricewatch.com
    > shows that the 6800 isn't even included in their videocard category
    > yet, and the few site that do list the card are pre-orders only.
    >
    > And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
    > trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
    > Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
    > points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
    > when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
    > for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
    > anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
    > Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?
    >
    > -s-

    yo, i do the same. have u been watching the price of the nvidia cards TI4200
    ? they rarely rise with their price, cause they are very good performing, no
    new games use the effects that are available of fresh developed cards.
    gaming industry is mostly back 1 1/2 half year to imply the available
    effects of newer gpu's...
    hth
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:37:14 +0200, "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    wrote:

    >yo, i do the same. have u been watching the price of the nvidia cards TI4200
    >? they rarely rise with their price, cause they are very good performing, no
    >new games use the effects that are available of fresh developed cards.
    >gaming industry is mostly back 1 1/2 half year to imply the available
    >effects of newer gpu's...

    You mean apart from the games that use DX9 graphics? Good luck getting
    a 4200 to run PS2.0 graphics.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:37:14 +0200, "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> yo, i do the same. have u been watching the price of the nvidia
    >> cards TI4200 ? they rarely rise with their price, cause they are
    >> very good performing, no new games use the effects that are
    >> available of fresh developed cards. gaming industry is mostly back 1
    >> 1/2 half year to imply the available effects of newer gpu's...
    >
    > You mean apart from the games that use DX9 graphics? Good luck getting
    > a 4200 to run PS2.0 graphics.

    oki doki. i bougt my nv4280 just for ut2k3 - your point. but what plz is
    PS2.0 graphics? is it a linux thing? i am on xp. assuming that u said dx9 i
    believe u r under xp...
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:26:35 +0200, "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de>
    wrote:

    >oki doki. i bougt my nv4280 just for ut2k3 - your point. but what plz is
    >PS2.0 graphics? is it a linux thing? i am on xp. assuming that u said dx9 i
    >believe u r under xp...

    That just confirms you shouldn't be advising people on what hardware
    to buy.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    >> But I'm not anal retentive.
    > Isn't it "anal-retentive"?

    'an anal retentive' or 'anally retentive'

    :p

    --
    IWIK
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:58:52 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote:

    >Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:
    >>But I'm not anal retentive.
    >
    >Isn't it "anal-retentive"?
    >
    >8*)

    OMFG <G>
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:57:07 -0400, Folk wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:19:29 +0100, Ian Hastie <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:08:28 -0400, Folk wrote:

    >>> Why? Followers of FPS type games should have a fairly broad knowledge
    >>> of current 3D hardware, so this seems to me to be a logical place to
    >>> ask.
    >>
    >>Would you suggest posting to all the FPS games groups for the same
    >>reason? I doubt it. Seems to me that alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
    >>would be a much better place to ask.
    >
    > But I'm not anal retentive.

    Good for you, but do you have an actual point to make? Obviously
    not. Can't say I'm surprised.

    --
    Ian.

    EOM
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:19:18 +0100, Ian Hastie
    <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:57:07 -0400, Folk wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:19:29 +0100, Ian Hastie <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Would you suggest posting to all the FPS games groups for the same
    >>>reason? I doubt it. Seems to me that alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
    >>>would be a much better place to ask.
    >>
    >> But I'm not anal retentive.
    >
    >Good for you, but do you have an actual point to make? Obviously
    >not. Can't say I'm surprised.

    Point being that I get no jollies from playing net cop, as you
    obviously do.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:12:23 -0400, Folk wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:19:18 +0100, Ian Hastie <ian_a_hastie@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:57:07 -0400, Folk wrote:

    >>> But I'm not anal retentive.
    >>
    >>Good for you, but do you have an actual point to make? Obviously not.
    >>Can't say I'm surprised.
    >
    > Point being that I get no jollies from playing net cop, as you obviously
    > do.

    OK, so you missed the point. Let me spell it out for you. If you want
    the largest interested audience for your question the best place to go is
    the most relevant news group. How can you find it so unreasonable to
    suggest posting an exclusively NVIDIA related question to a specifically
    NVIDIA newsgroup?

    --
    Ian.

    EOM
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    Steven L Cox <stevencox56@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
    >trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
    >Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
    >points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
    >when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
    >for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
    >anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
    >Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?
    >
    >-s-

    Might as well ask why buy a Lamborghini (spelling?) when a Volkswagon
    Bug can get you there just as quickly on the overcrowded city streets
    and highways.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003 (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:52:01 -0400, Steven L Cox <stevencox56@hotmail.com> sayeth:

    >And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
    >trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
    >Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
    >points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
    >when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
    >for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
    >anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
    >Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?

    Primarily because, at least prior to the recent price drop of the ATI 9800,
    you could not get a decent video card that would guarantee smooth
    frame rates above 35 to 40fps at high detail levels.

    Last month, I built a 3.2Ghz P4 system for a friend, and put a Nvidia FX5500
    in it. I figured that it would perform well enough, but the frame rates
    at 1024x768 were terrible. UT2004 was barely able to stay in the 20's
    and almost never got in the 30's.

    In other words, for those who want to play games at high resolutions
    *AND* maintain consistent frame-rates above 35fps, you simply cannot
    do so with recent titles on video cards that cost less than $250.00.

    --
    Chris B.
    furrier@iglou.com

    "Chris Bradley" <furrier@iglou.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:52:01 -0400, Steven L Cox <stevencox56@hotmail.com>
    sayeth:

    > >And if I may inject some personal opinion on the matter, I have
    > >trouble understanding why someone would pay $400-500 for a videocard.
    > >Whenever these new cards pop up they benchmark only a few percentage
    > >points higher than the $200 predecessor, and buying the top-end card
    > >when it first comes out for the featureset that won't appear in games
    > >for 18 months out makes little sense. Could someone explain to me why
    > >anyone wouldn't buy videocards that are one production run back?
    > >Besides "its a convenient way to burn $300"?
    >
    > Primarily because, at least prior to the recent price drop of the ATI
    9800,
    > you could not get a decent video card that would guarantee smooth
    > frame rates above 35 to 40fps at high detail levels.
    >
    > Last month, I built a 3.2Ghz P4 system for a friend, and put a Nvidia
    FX5500
    > in it. I figured that it would perform well enough, but the frame rates
    > at 1024x768 were terrible. UT2004 was barely able to stay in the 20's
    > and almost never got in the 30's.
    >
    > In other words, for those who want to play games at high resolutions
    > *AND* maintain consistent frame-rates above 35fps, you simply cannot
    > do so with recent titles on video cards that cost less than $250.00.
    >
    > --
    > Chris B.
    > furrier@iglou.com

    It's a selp perpetuating cycle. Because as CPU/VGA cards are getting more
    powerful, programmers start to use the newer features, and this raise the
    bar for your "average" system, till components come along that can run the
    newer programs smoothly, then programmers pack more stuff in raising the min
    requirements again.
    I got a 9800 pro 7 months ago, wasn't cheap but I haven't had the
    frustration of having to substantially reduce my settings to still get
    mediocre performance from games. The other bonus is (IMHO) a new card
    breathes life into old games, because you can play them again the way you
    would have like to play them in the first place.
    The 9800 will go into my next PC, and by then the unused features will be
    used (if not sooner), so I won't need to uprade as soon if I got a cheaper
    card.
    There is always "something else" to buy for your PC, so it is just going to
    come back to personal preference. For me the price was worth if because I
    don't have to think any more, "will my PC run this game?", I just know it
    will (theoretically that is:)) and just enjoy my game (except Unreal 2, that
    was very disappointing).

Graphics Cards Nvidia Video Games