Dell dimension 4500 boot sequence

dpw

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hello,
I have a dell dimension 4500. After I purchased an iomega external hard drive, I changed the boot sequence to boot from CD first, Hard drive second and removable media third. I did this so I could keep the external hard drive connected to the computer at all times, even during start up.

Despite this change, the computer freezes during start up and will not boot properly when the external hard drive is connected. I then disabled the removable media from the bios and it still doesn't work. How can I get the computer to boot up without freezing when my new external hard drive is plugged in?

ShaneG

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello Col W.

I was just looking for a lead to your problem and and stumbled on your thread, looks like they don't really understand the question fully.

To all offering advise, I work with "dpw" who posted the original question. The problem that he is describing is that after purchasing a new external USB HD, his laptop is now attempting to boot from the new ext drive during a system restart when the new drive is attached to the laptop. The obvious solution, which does work, is to simply unplug the USB cord from the laptop and allow it to boot up into Windows and then re-connect the ext drive and all works fine.

What he is trying to achieve is a solution that would configure the laptop to CHOOSE the internal HD as the default boot device, thus alleviating the need to plug and un-plug the drive during every system restart.

Hope this helps clear up all mis-interpretations of the issue at hand.

** All the air you can breath for a year to the first one to solve the problem! **

Cheers!
Shane G.
:sol: