Your question

Computer will not boot at all!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2010 2:07:30 PM

I left my computer running last night, and when I turned on my monitor, it was frozen. So I hit the reset button and it would not boot at all. It would not even show the BIOS post. I thought it could be video card, so I waited and listened for the windows chime to sound and it never happened. The fans are also whirring a little faster (it seems at least). I opened the case to look for loose connections, but everything looks ok. The power does go on and the Mobo has the green light lit, so I know its not the PS. Am I going to have to buy a new motherboard? Here are my specs:
CPU: Q6600
MOBO: Asus P5Qpro
RAM: 4 Gig DDR2 (Crucial? I can't remember)
Video: 8800GT
Hard Drive: 250 gb Caviar with Windows 7 64 Bit and a 500 gb Caviar storage drive.
PSU: Antec 630 Watt Trupower

This system is about 2-3 years old and the storage drive was installed about 5 months ago.

I should note that this is being used as an HTPC... so any help is greatly appreciated! I guess I will be reading a little more at home in the time being!

More about : computer boot

a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 2:10:43 PM

Fan turning?
Power led on mobo is on?
Any sound indicating HDD spin?
Did you see smokes or smell anything?
Any mobo mobos beep for errors?
Is your PC dirty from the inside?
m
l
October 14, 2010 2:14:18 PM

Fans are turning,
Power LED on mobo is on
HDD sound like they are spinning up and then stop
Haven't smelled smoke thank God!
Have not heard a beep.
PC is not particularly dusty on the inside. ie no live animals frolicking!
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 2:37:15 PM

Hmmm...
perhaps the mobo is faulty?
I have witnessed several broken P5Q. that could be the cause.
Try to find a functional system and hook your GPU and RAM into it.
And try to hook a working GPu to the dead system.

HDD is morelikely, OK.

PSU...hmmm...perhaps...but morelikely to be the mobo faulty...
m
l
October 14, 2010 2:43:36 PM

If it was the HDD, wouldn't I still get some sort of POST message? Or if it is completely dead, does nothing happen? I have never had one die on me (knock on wood). I don't have another mobo to use as the one that I replaced was OLD school with AGP. I have been wanting to get a new case.... Should I just bite the bullet and start acquiring parts which are likely to be the culprit? If I do this, I would probably buy a new video card because I have had issues with nvidia playing nicely with my TV. Any suggestions on a card that works well?

Thanks for your help guanyu! Much appreciated!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 14, 2010 4:46:48 PM

Find the culprit first, then decide for the reparation and/or upgrade

If you suspect that the HDD is faulty, try to disconnect the HDD. There should be messages on your screen. If it says something like, no HDD or system files, etc...then your HDD is broken. This won't likely to happen since (as you have said) even no BIOS post is on the screen.

If you suspect the RAM is dead, try to disconnect the GPU from the mobo, your mobo should makes some beeps

Take out all the RAM if you suspect that the RAM is dead. No RAM will makes the mobo beeping.

If you have taken out everything but no beep from mobo. Your mobo is positive "Dead".

No sound means, your system is not even booting to windows, which means your monitor is not the culprit.

I just hope that the culprit is not your PSU which then has damaged your mobo and/or ther other components.

m
l
October 14, 2010 6:07:08 PM

Thanks for this information. I will give it a try when I get home. I already started putting systems together on newegg. If it can go wrong, it will go wrong!
m
l
October 15, 2010 2:04:09 PM

Tested everything last night. The motherboard never beeped and never loaded BIOS. So I am ordering a new MOBO/CPU (I am switching to an AMD 955 Black). If it is my PSU, how can I tell if it destroyed everything? I still have power going out from it, or is that not enough? Should I buy a new PSU as well to be safe?

Thanks!
m
l
a c 121 B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2010 6:23:15 AM

Work through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

This will be a little different if you have integrated graphics.

Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2010 6:39:27 AM

pdi180 said:
Tested everything last night. The motherboard never beeped and never loaded BIOS. So I am ordering a new MOBO/CPU (I am switching to an AMD 955 Black). If it is my PSU, how can I tell if it destroyed everything? I still have power going out from it, or is that not enough? Should I buy a new PSU as well to be safe?

Thanks!

Is the mobos speaker attached?
m
l
October 20, 2010 3:28:58 PM

Sorry for not replying, I did not have a computer at home for the weekend! I started putting the new system together last night but did not get through it all. Thanks for that information jsc, I will have to print that out at take it home with me tonight! Unfortunately, I already started putting everything in the case. But I will set it up how you suggested. That is some good advice on the troubleshooting for a new system, many a PEBKAC error in there! Hopefully I don't make any of them!
Guanyu... I hope the speaker was attached! I honestly don't recall, I just pulled plugs out of the old mother board and didn't look that closely. I will be sure to put it in the new one though!
m
l
October 21, 2010 2:07:49 PM

Alright... Good news bad news time! I replaced the Mobo, CPU, and GPU and it still won't POST. The good news is that all those things on the old system still work (probably). So it only really leaves me with 2 options. The hard drive - probably not this since I unplugged it as you suggested and it did not give me any beeps or POST message. OR the PSU is bad. I really don't know how it can be this if I am getting power to all the fans and the mobo lights are on. The ram I tested last night going through the 2 sticks that I had in there and 2 old ones that I know work. So I am doubtful of a ram issue. Any more suggestions!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!
m
l
October 21, 2010 2:56:34 PM

Possible stupid question alert!

I am reading through the Mobo manual (ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB) and it reads that it supports DDR3... is this to say that it does not support DDR2 anymore?
m
l