I need an upgrade for my geforce 9500gt

dragonx_08

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
i need an upgrade for my 9500gt graphics card max i would like to spend is around 70 pounds i play world of warcraft so id like a graphics card which is better than the 9500gt and can play wow i heard ati are better bang for the buck so il be looking for an ati. i have a amd sathlon dual core with 4gb ram and a 650w ezcool power unit the graphics card im currently using runs off the pci-e slot and i would like the same any suggestions welcome ps im using windows enterprise edition 64bit

infernox_01

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
well the HD5670 would work on it. the power supply apparently has 18a on the 12v rail which is very low for a 650w psu. the 5670 works off just the pci-e slot. the 9500gt has a max power draw of 50w, the HD5670 has a max power draw of 61w. its similar, if you want to take less of a risk you could try the HD5570 which has a max power draw of 42w and is ranked 66th on that list.

For the power supply a quality brand is much more important than what power rating ezcool decided to market your current unit as(they made up that 650w number basically.) Corsair is one of the best brands you can buy and that power supply is easily better than your current unit. People are properly telling you to avoid the HD4870 with your current power supply but you could run one on a 450w from Corsair. If you would prefer something cheaper this one can easily handle either version of the 9800GT;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-017-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084
As for telling if the 9800GT is one of the low power version you do it exactly like I said; the low power version do not have a 6-pin power connector. The regular version does. It looks like this;
gts_power.jpg

That means it is not the low power version. Like I said it may work on your current power supply but the PSU is basically the most crucial component of the computer and yours has a terrible reputation from everything I could find about it online. It is a good idea to replace it if you can afford it. Both of the Corsair units I have linked have 6-pin PCIe power connectors so you would not need to use the adapter. That your current unit doesn't have one already says a lot about how low quality it is.