Hangs on "Starting Windows" splash

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Hey all,

I left my computer on overnight, like I always do, and I woke up this morning to see it frozen at the "Starting Windows" splash screen. So I restarted it. Now whenever I boot up, my computer restarts at the "Starting Windows" splash.

This has happened to me before about 2-3 months ago and In resolved this problem by inserting the windows disc and running a system restore. However, I lost a lot of data when I did that - most programs didn't even work.

My question to you is: Is there another way? Also, How can I prevent this? What is causing this?

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Do you have your computer overclocked?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS jumper/battery?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

Possible Drive failure?

Is it SATA or IDE?

5400, 7200, 10,000, 15,000RPM Drive or even SSD?

Have you downloaded anything recent?

Its a possible crash when going into hibernate or sleep.

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
It is OCed.

I will try resetting the battery/safe mode when I get out of class.

Have a SATA 7200

This may be useful: I do not have 'sleep mode' or 'hibernate' enabled on my PC. Meaning that It must have initially restarted during a possible Windows Update.(?)

Dan4451

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Well, I finally get back to my dorm and much to my surprise, the computer booted properly. All I did was leave it off for a few hours and viola. However, I'm still concerned with the whole restart at splash screen deal since I know that this is not the first time it has occurred.

Also, When I logged in I got the confirmation from the tray icon saying "Updates were successful". Knowing that, the splash screen restart issue occurred while windows updates automatically restarted my machine.

I am not totally sure what the real cause for all this was. Maybe someone else knows?