Joeexample

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I really want to set a second partition on my HDD so I can have Vista on one, because I don't want to loose my files, but it's only x86 so I want to install Windows 7 64 on a second partition, but everytime I try to shrink my partition I set the size and tell it to, so it's doing it, or so it seems for a few minutes then it sudden stops doing anything and a message pops up saying Access is Denied. I've tried a lot of things nothing seems to work and I don't know why it's not working.

It would be much easier and safer to install an additional hard disk. Disconnect the one with Vista while installing Windows 7 and reconnect it once the installation is completed. You should be able to select the boot drive at POST if your motherboard supports it (most do). Set the default boot drive to the OS that you use the most and select the other drive at POST whenever you need it.

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

You'd better check your disk first, maybe there's some bad sector, or have you ever try to use other partition software, such as GParted, AOMEI Partition Assistant, Acroins Disk Director, and etc.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
quesionboy is correct. At first check for any bad sector. Go to your HDD brand site. They will definitely provide software to test HDD. Do a long test, if the tester software says your HDD passed then go for any 3rd party partition making software, acronics disk director is a good one, it will give you a try period of 30days.