Sign in with
Your question

CM storm scout unidentified molexes

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2011 1:49:37 PM

The storm scout has a bunch of molex connectors at the back (3 male connectors which have only 2 pins each, and 1 full female that's connected to 1 of the males) first off, I have no idea what to do with them, I'm guessing that they connect right to the psu, but my CM gx 750w only has 1 wire with 3 molexes (molexi?) pretty close together, and I need those for my dvd drives, (or does IDE power them?)

Edit: I'm also not exatly sure how the HDD led, speaker, power switch and reset switches are connected, the wires have no indication of what goes where.
January 10, 2011 1:28:15 PM

Can anyone help me? Need more info, pics?
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 2:54:38 PM

If you don't have it already, get the manual from

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

First, not all connectors are Molex (just terminology). Anyway, that case has a pushbutton switch on the top front that controls power to the LED lights of the case cooling fans supplied. On p. 12 of the manual is shows that there is a 4-pin male Molex connector (connects to a female 4-pin Molex output from the PSU) feeding to that front switch, and then two 2-pin smaller connectors that feed power to the case fan LED's. These appear to be separate from the fans' power supplies for their motors.

Now, the gx 750W PSU has three 4-pin female Molex output connectors identified as "Peripheral 4-pin" on their website, and one of these is to be used for the fan LED switch input. The PSU has nine SATA power output connectors which are quite different from the 4-pin Molex ones. Most SATA devices will need those power sources, and not the 4-pin Molex.

The wires for other front panel uses are to be connected to mobo pinouts. They all should have labels on the little connectors on the ends of the wires. One major mobo pinout is for the "Front Panel", and the mobo manual will show you which pins are which. Although this mobo pinout looks like one connector point, in fact you will separately connect several items from your front panel. One will be the Power Switch (2 pins) and another will be the Reset switch (2 pins). In both cases it does not matter which way you connect the wires to the mobo pins - polarity does not matter here. Polarity DOES matter for the HDD LED indicator, so try to plug that in right. However, don't panic - worst case if you plug it in wrong is the LED simply will never light up, and you'll have to reverse the connector to get it working. The Speaker connector is 4 pins wide but only contains 2 wires, and it plugs into appropriate pins on that mobo pinout.

You will have one cable to connect to the mobo eSATA port, and it should only fit onto that pinout one way.

WATCH CAREFULLY when you go to connect your case's USB2 front panel cable to its mobo port. SOME (not all) mobos may have both USB and IEEE 1394 (aka Firewire) ports that look exactly alike and will both accept the connector from the USB front panel. BUT you MUST connect the USB cable ONLY to the mobo's USB pinout. If you ever connect a USB device to an IEEE 1394 port you can damage the device and / or the mobo port circuitry.
Related resources
January 10, 2011 5:33:48 PM

Paperdoc said:
If you don't have it already, get the manual from

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

First, not all connectors are Molex (just terminology). Anyway, that case has a pushbutton switch on the top front that controls power to the LED lights of the case cooling fans supplied. On p. 12 of the manual is shows that there is a 4-pin male Molex connector (connects to a female 4-pin Molex output from the PSU) feeding to that front switch, and then two 2-pin smaller connectors that feed power to the case fan LED's. These appear to be separate from the fans' power supplies for their motors.

Now, the gx 750W PSU has three 4-pin female Molex output connectors identified as "Peripheral 4-pin" on their website, and one of these is to be used for the fan LED switch input. The PSU has nine SATA power output connectors which are quite different from the 4-pin Molex ones. Most SATA devices will need those power sources, and not the 4-pin Molex.

The wires for other front panel uses are to be connected to mobo pinouts. They all should have labels on the little connectors on the ends of the wires. One major mobo pinout is for the "Front Panel", and the mobo manual will show you which pins are which. Although this mobo pinout looks like one connector point, in fact you will separately connect several items from your front panel. One will be the Power Switch (2 pins) and another will be the Reset switch (2 pins). In both cases it does not matter which way you connect the wires to the mobo pins - polarity does not matter here. Polarity DOES matter for the HDD LED indicator, so try to plug that in right. However, don't panic - worst case if you plug it in wrong is the LED simply will never light up, and you'll have to reverse the connector to get it working. The Speaker connector is 4 pins wide but only contains 2 wires, and it plugs into appropriate pins on that mobo pinout.

You will have one cable to connect to the mobo eSATA port, and it should only fit onto that pinout one way.

WATCH CAREFULLY when you go to connect your case's USB2 front panel cable to its mobo port. SOME (not all) mobos may have both USB and IEEE 1394 (aka Firewire) ports that look exactly alike and will both accept the connector from the USB front panel. BUT you MUST connect the USB cable ONLY to the mobo's USB pinout. If you ever connect a USB device to an IEEE 1394 port you can damage the device and / or the mobo port circuitry.

I do have the manual, and I did all the usb connections correctly, you don't need to talk to me like a child. I know the difference between molex and sata and my optical drives don't have a port for sata so I need the molexes for the two of them, unless, again, IDE provides power aswell, I also knew where the led wires, and switches went, just not which way to stick them in, but thank you for clearing clearing that up. And there are more than just one molex on the back of the case, one male that is connected to the 1 whole female one, and then three females, that only have 2 pins each (one has only red and black wires going in, the other two have yellow and black) I can post a pic if you don't understand.

Thanks for the help, but I know quite well what I'm doing, sorry If I was unclear on that, or anything else.
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2011 6:09:57 PM

Didn't mean to be insulting, sorry if it sounded like that.

So your optical units are IDE, it seems. Yes, you will need the 4-pin Molex power connectors for those - there is NO power in the 40-pin IDE data ribbon. If that leaves you short of Molex output connectors coming out of the PSU, get one or two 2-from-1 adapters. These plug into one female 4-pin Molex power output from the PSU and provide two similar outputs, so 2 of these can convert 2 Molex's to four. Three of them, stacked, can make 1 output into 4.

Pics might help, not sure. One thought I had - on many case fans the wiring to them has BOTH a male and a female 4-pin Molex connector, with all four power wires running between them, Then red and black lines only are run from the male Molex to the fan motor. The idea is that you will connect the male to a female supply from the PSU, and the remaining female connector is just a replacement power outlet so that the whole operation does not "use up" and of the power supply connectors.

For the rest I'm speculating here. Usually red is +5 VDC, yellow is +12 VDC and black is Ground on a Molex. On a fan motor, however, usually the red wire is the +12 VDC and the Black is still Ground, so MAYBE the Molex with only red and black is intended as the power supply connection to one fan. From there I'm not clear what all the Molex connectors are connected to, and where the wires go.
January 12, 2011 4:54:33 PM

Spoiler

No problem, I was a little on edge that day, I'm sorry for being an ass.

There are a few pics, and I'll get some molex dividers, once I have the chance.
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 6:10:16 PM

Those molex connectors are for the fans. The female to male connection is a pass thru so that you can connect two fans to one power source. CM's manual isn't very clear on this. Also, the two smaller connectors that look like fan connectoer are for the LED's on the rear and top fans, switched by the button on top front of case. One of the fans (don't recall which one) does have a 3-pin fan connector that can be plugged into the motherboard.
January 12, 2011 7:15:25 PM

Allright, I think I got it from here. Thanks for the help guys.
June 21, 2013 10:52:34 PM

Is the 1st picture the rigt thing to do? I just bought this case and im do confused
!