andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
hi
I have a intel 920 with stock fan. The thing is that my fan is driving me nuts. its spinning at abt 2500 rpm. the noise it produces is a bit too much. Is there anyway i can reduce the noise without changing the cooler. I tried reducing the speed of the fan but the temps on my cpu statrs to go up.
any help is appreciated.
thank you in advance
:)

Solution

The best option for you is to replace the cooler. You already tried to reduce the speed of the fan to reduce the noise, but your temps got too high, so you need a different and more effective heatsink that can be properly cooled by a larger, slower-speed fan.

If you are dead set against replacing your heatsink, underclock and undervolt your processor to reduce its heat output. Core...

The best option for you is to replace the cooler. You already tried to reduce the speed of the fan to reduce the noise, but your temps got too high, so you need a different and more effective heatsink that can be properly cooled by a larger, slower-speed fan.

If you are dead set against replacing your heatsink, underclock and undervolt your processor to reduce its heat output. Core i7s will go down to 1.60 GHz, so lock yours there either in the BIOS or by setting your power profiles on "powersave" in the Windows control panel. If you run Linux, use the powersave governor instead of the "performance" or "ondemand" governors.

Solution

Waste of a good cpu. :pfff: Did you try re-applying paste and running with side off?

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
hehe if i run with my side off. it would be worse as the amount of dust in my room would just clog everything up. : ). thing is i used to use my machine for heavy rendering work. But latly i have been only using it for browsing and such. may be play a movie. So for the time being i have just played around with the power setting and chaged the min and max processer usage percent. So ym proc is running slower right now. In a months time, i intend to change the cooler and apply a better paste. :)

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
speedstep is enabled now. and power option i adjusted from windows. now my proc is running at 1.6 @ .94 V rather than 2.8 @ 1.2 V. for some reason my bios wont allow me to raise or lower volages. I do not knwo why. prob need to falsh it to a later version .
I do use speed fan. that was how i lowerded my fan speed first. Now that the comp is only at 1.6 speed fan hels a lot :)