HTPC for under 400.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
The idea is to make a blu-ray recorder for less than what it costs in the shop. The price to match is 415euros for a samsung 500gb blu-ray recorder.

Of course this thing will be used for all home theatre activities(possibly even music playback if I decide to stick a decent sound card in it).

I tried looking for parts myself but I'm clueless when it comes to HTPCs I was looking at atoms and athlons, but then they all looked the same to me.

This thing obviously doesnt have to be powerful all I expect from it is to record, play and possibly browse.

I also have a 3.0 p4 lying around but those things consume like 5 times more power than an atom so I guess that probably isn't an option.

I can settle the build but depending on geographical location/set up box best check with the pros on exactly the type of tuner card that is the best solution for ya hehe
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/702229-new-htpc-best-way-record-tv.html

Just the rig $333AR
Untitled-1382.jpg

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I would go with a higher end HTPC case probs from silverstone, but this does prove that building even simple things yourself like a blu ray recorder is much cheaper and in this case more powerful than you can buy in the shops.

Well thanks for your help I'll look a bit more into european prices and so on.

also do you rcon I can get by with a 150w psu? Some silverstone come with a fanless 120-150w psu. Looks a bit tight, but I think It should work right?