Sign in with
Your question

How do you fix an external wireless network drive

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 2, 2010 3:13:12 PM

Hello,
I have a problem with my external wireless network drive WD WordBook, which runs through wireless Netgear router but now the drive stopped working. It seems there are bad sectors on the drive. How can I make the WorldBook look like a normal hard drive without using the wireless router so I can access it and recover information from it? Any advise is much appreciated... the last 15 years of my life is inside it... ZOC

August 2, 2010 4:50:27 PM

ZOC said:
Hello,
I have a problem with my external wireless network drive WD WordBook, which runs through wireless Netgear router but now the drive stopped working. It seems there are bad sectors on the drive. How can I make the WorldBook look like a normal hard drive without using the wireless router so I can access it and recover information from it? Any advise is much appreciated... the last 15 years of my life is inside it... ZOC

If it has an ethernet port or a USB socket that allows you to cable it to the computer, use that. If it doesn't, you may need to take the drive out of the caddy and slave it to your computer so you can run Windows Checkdisk utility on it and attempt to repair the damage sectors. If it isn't showing as a valid part of the network, chances are it isn't even starting up so the disk may be badly damaged so treat it carefully.

Sadly the regular poster here who's signature says "data you don't have backed up twice are data you don't care about" is right.

Related resources
!