Sign in with
Your question

How well will oblivion run on my Laptop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2010 2:10:46 AM

Hello,
I have an ASUS K52F laptop with I3 processor, Intel GMA HD graphics card (5700 i think?), 4 gigs of ram. How well will Elder Scrolls Oblivion run on this laptop? Is it gonna straight suck? Can I have the graphics up on high? A simple break down would be great, thanks!

More about : oblivion run laptop

a c 189 U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 5:06:47 AM

You can play any games recently but only with low setting, you'll need MORE power to play games on this laptop.
You want to upgrade it's onboard graphic? No, you can't, most of laptops aren't upgradeable...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 10:27:49 AM

I'm in agreement with wa1, I run oblivion GOTY editon on my PC, but its no comparison, a 955 BE with 9800GT, I'd guess you should be able to do it at minimum graphic levels though, It would have been better to get a i3/i5 laptop with intergrated HD radeon graphics.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 11:10:32 AM

Not at all, even on low FPS would be terrible.
m
l
August 29, 2010 3:06:31 PM

Well, thanks guys...my mistake. I will see exactly what I can do when oblivion gets here. Perhaps it will turn out not half bad...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 3:12:41 PM

Oblivion is not a very demanding games unless you kit it out with expansions.
You can actually play on high setting on 1366*768 with probably HDR/shadow turned off.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 6:13:30 PM

Are you speaking from experience?

Oblivion still is a demanding game. Using a laptop with the intel 4500, running the game at 12 x 7 resolution I have to set everything to a quarter on the sliders with grass completely off to even get in the 20's.

That is a far cry from high and I do not believe the newer intel integrated graphics are going to be that much better.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accel...

I wouldn't want the OP to get his hopes up really. To play at even the settings you desribe would take a dedicated card.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 7:31:36 PM

strangestranger said:
I do not believe the newer intel integrated graphics are going to be that much better.

Third paragraph of that link starts with;
"The performance of the new Graphics Media Accelerator HD graphics card is noticeably better than the old GMA 4500MHD"
It will be playable but not on high. Even my old 6800 struggled with it on high.
m
l
August 29, 2010 8:09:28 PM

I did read that on notebook check about the GMA HD on my pc...thats why i asked about it (supposedly much better than the 4500's). Im hoping to atleast be able to play it on medium to high (75%?) graphics quality at 1024x768 res with good FPS. It would be nice to play it on high. EVEN medium would be ok just to get into the plot of the game...but i love walking around wonderland if you catch my drift.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2010 9:00:44 PM

strangestranger said:
Are you speaking from experience?

Oblivion still is a demanding game. Using a laptop with the intel 4500, running the game at 12 x 7 resolution I have to set everything to a quarter on the sliders with grass completely off to even get in the 20's.

That is a far cry from high and I do not believe the newer intel integrated graphics are going to be that much better.

I wouldn't want the OP to get his hopes up really. To play at even the settings you desribe would take a dedicated card.

I max it out with a under-clocked 8600GT with decent fps and also played it on a X3100, it was playable, at least.
HDR kills performance for me, and also the shadows, texture size doesn't so much IIRC.
m
l
August 29, 2010 9:22:53 PM

strangestranger said:
You need to understand noticably better than the 4500 is not saying much. If it does well I will be surprised.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/01/25/in...

However, please post back and report, I would be interested to know.

Well oblivion will be here in like 2 days (im in afghanistan). So as soon as I check it out I will post as much as I can about how the Intel GMA HD handled it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2010 2:58:25 AM

Just play Morrowind. Much better plot, and much lower graphics requirements :) 

Oblivion is an amazing game. I remember struggling with my 6800GT SLI, 2900xt, 4850, and 5850 to keep good framerates. However, the only reason the later cards had issue was all of the graphical mods I added, but wow does the game look amazing now compared to the maxed out stock. Still though, I'm seriously contemplating giving Morrowind another go in spite of the graphics setbacks (though texture replacements help on that front).
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 30, 2010 3:24:41 AM

Wasn't there a big project to port Morrowind to the Oblivion engine?
I don't know the status of that but it's something to check into maybe.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2010 3:43:19 AM

jyjjy said:
Wasn't there a big project to port Morrowind to the Oblivion engine?
I don't know the status of that but it's something to check into maybe.

Yes but progress has been slow. I have tried a few packs that "were" available and it is a welcomed sight for sore eyes. Oblivion is one of the best games made in the last decade. Now with TES5 on the way I can't wait. I love how well it looks when 32x aa is forced (sli).
m
l
April 13, 2011 3:14:00 AM

strangestranger said:
Not at all, even on low FPS would be terrible.

I have a Pavilion dv6 3212nr with HD i3 ... i think it has 1690 mb for the video and I can run Oblivion with everything on MAX. The HD graphics are not as bad as some may think for games.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2011 4:17:31 AM

Very old thread - and I find that hard to believe.
m
l
!