After installing new componets, computer wont work with any HDD

WEeziel

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Some serious problem going on here. I just installed totally new componets to a clients computer: Motherboard, Graphics Card, Memory, processor and the PSU. HDD is still the same with windows XP in it. Everything in the BIOS looks fine and it finds every necessary component, even the HDD. But when I start it up normally, it just prompts the screen that windows cant start normally and then it gives the boot options (Safe mode etc). I just choose start normally, goes a few seconds with windows is loading and then it restarts. I tried with 2 different hdds (Both with windows XP installed) but it wouldn't work with either. They are around 4-5 years old. I tried different sata ports and cables with no avail.

I also tried with a Windows XP sp3 installation cd to fix the installation, but it claimed that there are no mass storage devices connected. However, I am able to connect to these HDD's without problem with this USB thingy on another computer.

Right now, I'm a bit clueless.

I highly doubt that the all the sata ports are broken in the new motherboard. Any help?

EDIT: Also appears that It submitted the thread multiple times. Didn't do it on purpose though, claimed that there was a problem submitting & logging in so gave it a few re-tries.

WEeziel

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I feared so, but how am I suppose to re-install the OS if Windows can't find the HDD during the installation process?

TRENDING THREADS