Sign in with
Your question

Sound card distortion.

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2011 3:40:45 PM

I have an Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card in my pc. I've pretty much had a sound problem off and on since the start. When watching movies or listening to music on my pc, some of the sounds are muffled and distorted or not there at all, while others sounds are as they are supposed to be. During movie play back some voices will be loud and clear, while others in the same movie are muffled. All of the other ackground noises appear to be present and clear. I've contacted Auzentech over and over about this with no help, other than them telling me to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. This does not seem to help. The same thing happens during music play back. Some sounds are as they are supposed to be, while others are muffled. Is there anyway that you can give some suggestions or maybe point me in the direction of a new card that is good for bluray movies and music play back? If I can't fix this problem, then I am willing to switch to a better card. Good Ole Auzentech has quit replying to my support tickets all together.

More about : sound card distortion

January 10, 2011 4:20:43 PM

Do you have a codec pack installed on the machine? Specifically, is there a program called ffdshow installed? This software can change the quality and position of audio during playback.
m
l
January 10, 2011 7:43:54 PM

How can I find out if I have that program?
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2011 9:14:05 PM

typically when you play a video file, an icon will show in the systray. You can check your installed program list in Control Panel->Add remove programs.
m
l
January 10, 2011 9:43:49 PM

Does this happen with a retail DVD as well, or mostly with downloaded movies?

Also, are you using multi channel speaker system attached to the PC(4.1 or greater)?
m
l
January 10, 2011 9:51:59 PM

It happens with both retail and downloaded movies. The movies that I have on my itunes, also. I have a standard dvd burner and a bluray burner/players, the samething happens on both. Also some videos on the interent I can't hear any sound at all, some I can hear normally. That's what is so confising. Why do some work and some don't? (Internet videos and streams, that is.)
m
l
January 10, 2011 9:54:25 PM

usually codec support, which is why dadiggle suggested klite codec pack. If you are savvy enough, you could remove any codec packs you currently use, then put Klite on as suggested. Let us know how that goes.
m
l
January 10, 2011 10:08:22 PM

How would I go about removing old codecs and replacing them? Also where would I find the Klite codec?
m
l
January 11, 2011 3:10:25 PM

klite is here, get the standard version.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.h...

Old codecs- maybe you installed other codecs unknowingly or under the guise of other software. Check via the Control Panel->Add remove programs. They would have been installed like any other program. Sometimes they are sneaky though but we will deal with that later.
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:11:51 PM

is there a lot of sounds projecting when u find the voices muffled??? if so, it may due to ur soundcard's processing or your speakers.
m
l
January 17, 2011 11:16:25 PM

When the voices are muffled, it does seem like the background noises do appear to be blaring. I thought about the speakers and have since switched the to the Logitech 5500 THX 5.1 surround speakers. The problem still persists. I've gone to the Auzentech forums ande I don't see anyone else having the same issues. They are reporting different issues, which I am not experiencing. My sound card is the Auzentech X-Fi Forte.
m
l
January 18, 2011 1:51:09 PM

use headphones , put surrround effect on, using dolby or dts, and see if the problem still occurs, if it dont then its ur speakers.

what movie anyway?
m
l
January 19, 2011 11:25:33 PM

It happens on just about all movies. I'll have to get some head phones and check that out. With video streams....some come through perfect, some are muffled and some don't come through at all.
m
l
January 20, 2011 5:52:43 AM

I assume you have the latest drivers. Look to see if there are older drivers available. Also, do you have any other sound devices, besides the onboard audio? also which OS are you using?
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:28:16 PM

I'm using Windows Vista 64. I use my tv as my monitor, I have the sound running through my pc to take advantage of the surround sound. It comes through just fine also.
I tried downloading the Klite codecs, they don't seem to have helped.
m
l
January 21, 2011 5:21:20 PM

Try this... Go to your control panel, click sound, when the menu pops up, look at the playback tab. Click on the speakers, then click on properties. Another menu box will pop up. Now go to the tab that says enhancements. Click the checkbox that says disable all enhancements. Then apply, click ok to everything, then try a movie and tell me if that makes any difference. Also, if the soundcard has software to control things like room correction or karaoke, disable all those things too. I had this same issue before because buried in one of these menus some kind of karaoke filter was enabled and had all the problems like you are having now. The main voices are hard to hear and background and music is normal.

Let me know if this solves it.
m
l
January 21, 2011 9:14:51 PM

^ does stuff only come out if u have realtek usually, he has a different soundcard, and i dont believe those tabs are there.
m
l
January 21, 2011 10:41:42 PM

Quote:
Do you have a Pci-e card installed?

Sorry thought this was a other post similar to this. Your sound card is it a pci card or Pci-e?

I have a pci express sound card.
m
l
January 21, 2011 10:48:04 PM

Quote:
Its a lack of bandwidth or sounds like it.

OP what mobo do you have and what cards got you filled in what slots?

I have an ASUS PN5-D mobo
m
l
January 21, 2011 10:52:32 PM

1965ohio said:
Try this... Go to your control panel, click sound, when the menu pops up, look at the playback tab. Click on the speakers, then click on properties. Another menu box will pop up. Now go to the tab that says enhancements. Click the checkbox that says disable all enhancements. Then apply, click ok to everything, then try a movie and tell me if that makes any difference. Also, if the soundcard has software to control things like room correction or karaoke, disable all those things too. I had this same issue before because buried in one of these menus some kind of karaoke filter was enabled and had all the problems like you are having now. The main voices are hard to hear and background and music is normal.

I went into the properties as suggested and couldn't find any tabs that said enhaancements.
m
l
January 21, 2011 11:50:32 PM

1965ohio said:

To the OP, this guy has a point. I initially thought there had to be some software filter doing the decoding of the audio wrong, and now that he mentions it, your issue sure sounds like how audio sounds when the Karaoke feature is on.

Is there some kind of auzentech software control panel or software that changes settings for the card, that you either dont use or dont know about? Do some digging in the Programs folder.
m
l
January 22, 2011 12:16:24 AM

I'll give it a shot. As far as I know there isn't a karaoke feature on my sound card. I'll see what I can find.
m
l
January 22, 2011 1:02:17 AM

I have an ASUS P5N-D mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz CPU, Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler, Patriot Viper Series 4 X 2Gb SDRAM DDR2 1066(PC2-8500) Dual Channel ram, 2x Sparkle GeForce 9600GT 2Gb 256 GDDR2 PCI Express running SLI, Auzentech X-Fi Forte PCI Express Audio Card, Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb HD 7200rpm Sata 3.0Gb/s, SAmsung Spinpoint F1 1Tb HD 7200rpm SAta 3.0Gb/s, LG Black Super Multi BluRay Disk Burner/HD DVD-Rom Drive, LG 22X DVD +/-R DVD Burner, Antec TruePower TP750 Blue, Windows Vista 64bit, with and Antec 1200 tower.
m
l
January 22, 2011 9:01:39 AM

The download that you have refered me to is a driver update tool. How will this help me. I have already gone to my device manager to check to see if my drivers are up to date. According to my device manager, my drivers are up to date.
m
l
January 22, 2011 10:53:00 AM

Does the Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card have some kind of software in the control panel? Like Realtek? I know Realtek is not the only sound chip maker that uses post processing software. Usually when you install the driver from the disk that came with your sound card, you should get some kind of applet or control for it in the control panel. It is hard to believe a decent add-on card doesn't provide any processing controls other than volume up or down. There is a setting somewhere that is post processing your sound stream like the karaoke function of the realtek chips. You just didn't find it yet.

Almost every sound card external usb, internal add-in, or even the integrated chips offer some kind of post processing software if they are any good. Why would they sell something you have no control over... I don't think the will rely simply on the internal windows sound mixer alone. If that is the case, you can only turn it up and down or left and right. No room correction, no DC offset, no immediate mode, or anything else. If the card has more than 2.0 output without some kind of post processing or control applet, then the card is useless. And this issue definitely sounds like it is post processing wrong. The only way to be sure is uninstall all the drivers and applications associated with that card, and download the latest driver with control utility for that card. If it only has a generic driver and no controls, get a different card.
m
l
January 22, 2011 10:55:23 AM

Tony_Scorpio said:
The download that you have refered me to is a driver update tool. How will this help me. I have already gone to my device manager to check to see if my drivers are up to date. According to my device manager, my drivers are up to date.

According to your device manager it may be up to date. But the online Windows driver database is not as up to date as you may think.
Every time there is an update for my video card or anything, Microsoft doesn't tell me until a month or two after it's out. Check the manufacturer version first. Not Microsoft. And if you have the driver but don't have the control application, then the card is useless too. Just because windows detects a generic driver doesn't mean you have the best one. And also sound card control and post processing software is important for a good card. Windows doesn't include the software, only the driver for the Windows mixer.

And if the card and software is working properly and there isn't any post processing going on. Check to make sure you are using the green connector from that rear analog adapter. Perhaps the adapter has a problem. If so, then just plug into the headphone jack below the digital out.

Here's a link to the latest drivers from the manufacturer. It does have processing software or it wouldn't be 213MB!

http://www.auzensupport.com/data/AZT_FORTE71_V1.21_SWPA...
m
l
January 22, 2011 2:45:45 PM

Yes, I have a control panel that comes with the software. I've checked my wires, and they all seemed to hooked up right. I have notoced in the past that when I updated my drivers that everything would work fine. The problem was that when downloading the update, it would uninstall the control panel. So, I would have to go back and use the disk to install eveything back to my pc. Then my problem would show back up. I've gone through the control panel and adjusted settings several times with no results. There is so much different stuff on the control panel, I just don't know what should be set where. It has speaker config., a section for using headphones( which I don't use and all settings are turned off), EAX Effects (everything is off in this one too, don't know what to do with it.), X-Fi CMSS-3D, X-Fi Crystalizer, Smart Volume Management (which is off, tried it both ways), Graphic EQ (which is off), A Mixer, An Encoder (which has the options of Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect, DTS Connect is what I'm set on), and finally Digital I/O (The options are Enable Bit-MAtched Recording and Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output, I don't have either of those checked.)
Sorry so lengthy, just trying to supply as much info as possible.
m
l
January 22, 2011 6:08:40 PM

if the source is selected as 5.1 then use analogue on ur logitechs, or have u already have done that?
m
l
January 22, 2011 10:07:03 PM

I thought that I had found the problem. Got my music on itunes to play right for a bit, then watched a whole movie on itunes and the sounds were fine. I just tried playing a bluray of the original True Grit, It has all of the sounds except the voices. That's just insane to me....
Where do I find the Soundmax drivers?
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:25:05 PM

If you set the output to standard 2.0, is it still distorted? Sometimes it may be sending the wrong signal to the wrong speaker in the 5.1 configuration with Dolby Digital Live. Disable the Dolby too, just for the test.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:29:02 PM

I'm using 3 the 3.5mm plugs, I believe they are the analog connections, right?
I did notice that their is a newer version of the driver out. Question though, how do I update my driver and keep my control panel? All of the previous times that I've tried updating it removes my control panel and doesn't reinstall it. The only other way to get it back is to use the disk that has come with the card. Then it wants to install the old drivers from the disk.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:31:25 PM

1965ohio said:
If you set the output to standard 2.0, is it still distorted? Sometimes it may be sending the wrong signal to the wrong speaker in the 5.1 configuration with Dolby Digital Live. Disable the Dolby too, just for the test.

Wouldn't that happen consistantly? Instead of sporatically?
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:32:59 PM

Quote:
If its analog switch of dts.

I do have it set to DTS.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:38:45 PM

Av receiver? I have a HDMI cable hooked to my tv which I also use as my monitor.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:47:51 PM

Not sure about that question. (Sorry) When on my computer and playing movies the sounds are coming from my pc. I also have the sound from my tv running through the line-in on the sound card in order to use the surround sound for when I'm watching tv. Which when watching tv, the surround is working fine. It's whenever I watch or listen to something on my pc, either online or from itunes, or from my dvd, or bluray drives that problems happen.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:57:21 PM

My new surround speaker system also has a controller which the 3 analog cables go from my sound card to it. It also has settings such as Input- Direct, Optical, and Coax. I'm set on direct. then it has effects- 6 ch direct, Stereo, Stereo X2, DD PLII Movie, and DD PLII Music. I'm set to 6Ch direct.
m
l
January 23, 2011 12:07:21 AM

So, is coax like an rca cable? If so, all I need for a digital connection is to run it from my sound card to my controler on my surround sound?
m
l
January 23, 2011 12:09:58 AM

I disabled the dolbly and threw in the True Grit BluRay again, still no voices.
m
l
January 23, 2011 1:27:32 AM

dadiggle, you can run dts and dd with the analog outs. I use it every day. The card does the conversion like you said, and spits out the correct signal to each set of outputs. Except, if you use a digital connection, it will pass the ac3 or dts stream straight to the receiver, in the stream format. If DD and DTS are turned off, it will only do 2 channel audio via spdif.

Tony, the time spent so far on troubleshooting this problem may equal or surpass the monetary value of your card. Maybe try a new card just to rule out some kind of hardware flaw.
m
l
January 23, 2011 2:51:32 AM

Tony_Scorpio said:
Wouldn't that happen consistantly? Instead of sporatically?

It would happen sporadically if the content you are playing changes types from DTS, Dolby and some content may not make use of the 5.1 sometimes it is 2.0, sometimes 5.1, sometimes 6.1 or 7.1, some things may be plain stereo 2.0. Sounds like content processing is the fault for this issue. Check the content you are playing when you have the problem. Disable all extras and play the content that is giving you the problem.
m
l
January 23, 2011 2:55:14 AM

Tony_Scorpio said:
I disabled the dolbly and threw in the True Grit BluRay again, still no voices.

On your Bluray menu, set it to plain stereo 2.0 and see if the problem goes away. If the voices are normal, the digital processing that decides which signal goes where is fudged up somehow for the surround.

If you download the latest driver from the link I provided earlier, you will get an updated control panel. I am sure. I doubt that the sound card driver itself could possibly be 213MB. 210MB of that is surely the installer and control program. It would be retarded if it only installed the bare driver. But then again, maybe the bare driver with all controls disabled could actually fix the problem.
m
l
January 23, 2011 2:17:23 PM

Ok, update......after actually checking the versions of my driver, I did realize that it was out of date. I went in uninstalled old version and downloaded the up to date version. Everything installed much easier than had done in the past. My control panel was downloaded as 1965 ohio had suggested. I've tried a bluray disk, itunes, and a video steam online. So far everything is working as it should. I will keep everyone posted.
I would just like to thank everyone for their help and time. It has been greatly appreciated.
m
l
January 23, 2011 3:24:14 PM

You're welcome. If you have any other problems, keep us posted!

:D 
m
l
January 23, 2011 4:49:42 PM

Where would I find vlc player?
Also, would I see a benefit to switching to a coax cable as opposed to using the analog cables that came with the surround?
m
l
January 23, 2011 9:52:04 PM

you can find VLC player on ther internets somewhere. Try google. ;) 

re the cables, if you already use analog outs carry on. If you want to use 1 wire, and rewire your setup, get the coax. Dadiggle did mention the coax cable is not susceptible to outside interference, but unless you already get interference (you'd hear it) don't worry about it. The other benefit is that when you run a coax or optical cable, it sends DTS and DD as a stream which your receiver can decode. You would have likely never seen the problem in this thread if you used one of those cables, since the card is not doing the decoding, your receiver is. Another reason to use analog outs is that it is 100% compatible with any software you use, you may have problems getting multi channel audio with games and some other programs.
m
l
December 29, 2011 8:01:36 AM

I have a sound card from the same family (X-Fi) and i I fixed my problem selecting "Stereo Surround" instead "Stereo Xpand"

Path:
Start > Creative > Audio Control Panel > X-Fi CMSS-3D > X-Fi CMSS-3D Surround > Upmix Mode: Stereo Surround

Another path:
Start > Control Panel > Sound > Speakers > Properties > Sound Blaster > Settings > X-Fi CMSS-3D > X-Fi CMSS-3D Surround > Upmix Mode: Stereo Surround

Just another way to fix it :bounce: 
m
l
!