Sign in with
Your question

Where to start. Need a multiple drive solution with redundancy

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2013 10:54:00 AM

Hello

I've had a single 500gb external hd WD 3.5 for a while. I use it for backup. I also have about 3 laptop size drives, each more or less 250 GB each. They are all connected to a laptop, which now really is a desktop. I've created few nfs partitions and i mount them throughout my network.

I now want a solution. My first requirement is that it offers redundancy, i won't mind getting 4 tb if i only get to use 2 tb and my data is safe.

I also want a good read and write speed. These drives will hold music, pictures, videos. I'm planning to consistently write and read from it. ie my /home partition will be mounted on it.

I am a linux guy. I do not have a single windows machine or bootable partition.

Speaking of partition this drive would also hold many small partitions and linux vg for my vms.

Since I'm noob to storage and network storage thing, I'm having a gap in logic. I am concerned with speed. If it's a typical network storage, i'm wondering if I won't be getting a serious lag in read and write. For instance a normal day for me is downloading an iso, while listening to music and writing docs, storing and filtering through logs. That's a lot of read and write at once through an ethernet port.

Please kindly give me few pointers on where to look. Maybe my solution isn't a bay or a network storage, tell me where to look and help me educate myself on storage.

Thx
January 23, 2013 12:25:34 PM

go grab yourself a RAID capable NAS and configure it for mirror (RAID 1) has the redundancy that you need and will be compatible with linux, also you can access it from multiple devices at once. what country you in? i'll find you a suitable NAS, also how much are you looking to spend and how much storage do you actually need (think of how much you will need in 3-5 years, not how much you need now for future-proofing)
!