Assigning drive letters to a folder

September 8, 2005 2:06:29 AM

How do I assign a drive letter to a folder?

I have an application which I need to run on both a desktop and laptop
machine.

On the desktop machine (Win2K) the app is installed in its own folder (call
it \app) on E: and holds most of its data in the same folder. However there
rest of the data the app needs is in a folder (call it \data) on the F:
drive. This was originally done this way due to space limitations and is not
going to change for a while.

On the laptop (WinXP) the app is installed on C: in its own folder and the
data in its own folder (C:\app and C:\data respectively).

The app and data are synchronized between the machines by copying the \app
and \data folders between the machines.

Now the tricky part:
- the app has a config file which has pointers to the \app and \data folders
and when the files are copied between machines the config file has to be
manually edited.

On the laptop can I assign a share(?) or some other mechanism to rename
c:\app to become E:\app and c:\data to become F:\data so as to allow the
config files on the two machines to be identical? If this is possible, how
do I do it?

Thanks
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:23:18 AM

might look
open cmd window
subst /?

"John Smith" <a@nonymous.com> wrote in message
news:o hym4nBtFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> How do I assign a drive letter to a folder?
>
> I have an application which I need to run on both a desktop and laptop
> machine.
>
> On the desktop machine (Win2K) the app is installed in its own folder
> (call
> it \app) on E: and holds most of its data in the same folder. However
> there
> rest of the data the app needs is in a folder (call it \data) on the F:
> drive. This was originally done this way due to space limitations and is
> not
> going to change for a while.
>
> On the laptop (WinXP) the app is installed on C: in its own folder and the
> data in its own folder (C:\app and C:\data respectively).
>
> The app and data are synchronized between the machines by copying the \app
> and \data folders between the machines.
>

> Now the tricky part:
> - the app has a config file which has pointers to the \app and \data
> folders
> and when the files are copied between machines the config file has to be
> manually edited.
>
> On the laptop can I assign a share(?) or some other mechanism to rename
> c:\app to become E:\app and c:\data to become F:\data so as to allow the
> config files on the two machines to be identical? If this is possible, how
> do I do it?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:47:13 PM