Query on Display Port Monitors and Autodetection on ATI Based cards.

UrbanCore

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Ok, this is a bit of a long question but I am long time reader here and just recently joined. So let me try and be as detailed as possible.

I currently use a main desktop system which I've recently installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Let me give you a short hardware layout of the relevant items in question.

CPU: i7 2.8 ghz Quad Core.
Ram: 12 gigs DDR3.
Mobo: Asus Rampage Extreme II.
Hard drive: Tons.
Video Card: 2x xfx ATI 5770's *NOT* in a crossfire install.

Now, I game some times but primarily I use my system for coding, information and video/audio work. Too that end I have the following monitor setup.

2x Dell 24 inch (One DVI, one DisplayPort)
2x Dell 30 inch (One DVI, one DisplayPort)
2x Westinghouse 37 inch 1080p TV's running on HDMI.

Yes, I have six monitors. Now beyond that which I know is unusual here is my issue. This runs more or less flawlessly under windows 7 and I've been very impressed with ATI's ability to handle so many monitors per card with good display and frame rates. The issue is power saving. Now with this many monitors you can imagine they use a bit of juice to run all the time, so when I am not using my system I like to turn off my monitors by power button. This allows one of the main power drainers on the system to shut down and saves me some coin in power bills which are already substantial.

I can turn off the HDMI and DVI interfaced monitors with no problem at all. However, any attempt to turn off OR switch main display interface on the DP monitors (one of the 30's and one of the 24's) causes either windows or ATI (I can't tell which) to try and be *helpful* and turn off that monitor on a software level which causes my carefully aligned desktop and all my open tools to shift and move around, it tosses my icons into disarray and basically makes it a pain in the ass because it removes the monitor from the display properties because it believes I've unplugged it. As far as I can tell this is due to me turning off my monitors. When I turn it back on it detects it again but the disarray remains more or less in place.

Now, solutions I've tried.

1) Yes, I have the most current ATI drivers.

2) I have all the most current drives, where applicable, for my monitors.

3) I've tried telling windows to blank the monitors after an hour or so of non-use. This is hit or miss, some times it works, other times it just seems to ignore it.

4) I've tried contacting ATI about this and got very little help in typical ATI fashion.

5) I've dug through CCC and found no setting close to this. I've made sure "Manual detect" is turned on and it's not helped.

This is hardly a major issue, but it's very annoying and I'd like to find a way to fix this. I wonder if you techies had any insight on this or if some one else has had a similar issue with a Crossfire setup or perhaps an eyefinity setup? Again, not a huge gamer so I don't use either of these setups but I am familiar with them.

Feel free to ask questions, I will be monitoring this thread for help. Thanks in advance!

impala454

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue. I have two Samsung 24" panels hooked up via DVI, and an HP 24" panel hooked up via displayport. I just want to be able to turn the monitor off without windows removing it as a device and re-arranging my desktop as such.