Sign in with
Your question

Planning to buy a gaming computer.

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2010 9:13:12 PM

Hi my name is david and all i would like to ask about is that im planing on buying a new gaming computer, i'm mostly an amature but i have read lots of articles and have gained lots of info about the GPUs and CPUs out there on the market..... buy the main question is: i live in uk and would like to order from a us website newegg is it possible to do it with my uk credit card? Will it automaticly convert the money from $ to £??

October 10, 2010 9:22:48 PM

Just out of interest, why would you prefer to shop on NewEgg? I would imagine if they did ship to the UK the delivery would be a fair bit. I'm also from the UK and have shopped in some of the following online retailers:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk
http://www.microdirect.co.uk
http://www.aria.co.uk
http://www.scan.co.uk

MicroDirect is about the best price wise and their delivery times are spot on too. Unfortunately, computer components seem to be a lot cheaper in the US than they are over here which is a bit annoying but I guess we have our fantastic economy to thank for that ;) 

If you need any advice on your new build then you're in the right place. Just post your budget and your needs for your new system - what you want it to be able to do and we can give you more specific advice. Hope this helps!
Related resources
October 10, 2010 9:24:01 PM

Newegg is good but not that good.
October 10, 2010 9:26:59 PM

Thanks for the help, like moody89 sed the us has cheaper components thats why i asked..... baceuse my budget is really small and i want to get a good computer... to be honest my budget is £0 now but i just found a job for few bugs a week so im trying to find the cheapest website to know how long will it take me to save up for the new pc.
October 10, 2010 9:31:44 PM

If you're looking for a budget gaming system then this article may help you a little:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-pc-build-a-pc-over...

Again, it's all in American prices etc. and not all the parts are available over here but it gives you some idea on what you can get for your money. As I mentioned, MicroDirect have always been reliable for me but see which works out cheaper for your build. If you need any advice etc. you're in the right place!
October 10, 2010 9:34:47 PM

Thanks for now... i kind of know what i want: Phenom ii x6, ATI 5770 or better... thats the main parts i want. But like i sed thanks for now, will be here tomorow.
a b 4 Gaming
October 10, 2010 9:35:00 PM

dave0305 said:
Thanks for the help, like moody89 sed the us has cheaper components thats why i asked..... baceuse my budget is really small and i want to get a good computer... to be honest my budget is £0 now but i just found a job for few bugs a week so im trying to find the cheapest website to know how long will it take me to save up for the new pc.

International shipping cost an arm and a leg (like $100 for a case), while having not so great service.

UK prices aren't that bad, GPU/CPU/ prices are almost on par depending on where you live, remember US prices doesn't include taxes and in some states can get a little crazy. (Gladly in some sates it can also comes out to be a pleasing $0. XD)
October 10, 2010 10:01:45 PM

plus you have ridiculous import duties purchasing electronics from the US.

If you REALLY want to save money by shopping abroad, try looking at some German and Austrian suppliers - you can sometimes avoid import duties and certain taxes because we're all in the EU.
October 11, 2010 4:57:00 AM

dave0305 said:
Thanks for now... i kind of know what i want: Phenom ii x6, ATI 5770 or better... thats the main parts i want. But like i sed thanks for now, will be here tomorow.
If you're main goal is fast gaming, skip the x6 and go with an x4, then spend the extra money on graphics. Really, anything more than 3 cores is wasted on games.
October 11, 2010 6:44:36 AM

yh true, good idea i might just buy the phenom ii x4 and spend some more money on the graphic crad, have u got any specific procesor and graphic card i shall go for?
October 11, 2010 9:06:41 AM

Getting a Phenom II X4 965 BE is a good CPU for gaming, combined with a high-quality motherboard you can get some great overclocks out of it. Even if you get the Asus Crosshair IV Formula you'll make great savings over an Intel setup, leaving you with more cash to put towards your graphics setup.

How does 2x GTX 460 in SLI sound? Cheaper than a single 480, more faster than a single 480.
October 11, 2010 10:54:59 AM

Overclockers.co.uk are the ones i used and there are brilliant. Shipping is spot on and the prices are pretty competitive.

Ebuyer.com is also pretty good.

i'd avoid scan.co.uk thou, as ive had 3 items sent to me late and 2 of them were the wrong items, and one was in a box which looked like it had been run over serveral times and in very poor condition.

microdirect - never tried them so couldnt comment, but overclockers is proberly the best there, been using them for years now.

Also, going AMD route, go for a Phenom II X4 955BE and a GTX470 - Pretty decent setup and when/if you SLI the GTX470, will be a bloody awesome setup in the long run
October 11, 2010 3:44:09 PM

dave0305 said:
yh true, good idea i might just buy the phenom ii x4 and spend some more money on the graphic crad, have u got any specific procesor and graphic card i shall go for?

Depending on prices, I'd probably go with an X4 955 and a 5850 or 5830.
October 11, 2010 4:30:11 PM

I Would say that Ebuyer.com are the all-round best in the UK,
Aria.co.uk is normally the cheapest and has good daily offers, but I have found their customer services to be bad.
Overclockers.co.uk has good daily and weekly offers but their returns are bad and their customer service is not that great.
Scan I think I have only had one thing off them so would comment on their service from just one order.
Never used Misco so dont know.

I have ordered quite a few PC parts over the years and obviously some parts will arrive dead or die quickly so need returning and I think this realy show how good a company is in how efficent they handly it. Ebuyer I have had the most positive expience from, aria takes ages to speak to someone or get reply to emails and overclockers wont pick up faulty parts and they make you send it back, which can be a realy hastle getting to a post office when you work full time, when everyone else will pick things up from my work adress.
October 11, 2010 6:49:09 PM

well yh i think i will go for the phenom ii x4 955 BE but dont know about the GPU because like i sed i dont want to spend to much money because it will take me longer to save up for it. But first of all i was thinkin about was 5770 and now some one sed the gtx 470 is better but its abit more expensive... is it worth for the extra money??
October 12, 2010 7:48:27 AM

Ok thanks for that help, i think i will go for a single gtx 470 and then sli it.
October 12, 2010 2:40:52 PM

dave0305 said:
Ok thanks for that help, i think i will go for a single gtx 470 and then sli it.

Awesome mate. Welcome to the GTX 470 club. You wont be disapointed as the GTX470 Gets good Sli gains!

Enjoy it mate, i have the Sli GTX470 and LOVE IT! :-)
October 12, 2010 3:50:55 PM

reccy said:
Awesome mate. Welcome to the GTX 470 club. You wont be disapointed as the GTX470 Gets good Sli gains!

Enjoy it mate, i have the Sli GTX470 and LOVE IT! :-)

ok, thanks.... Hope it will do because i do NOT want to waste my money.
October 12, 2010 4:53:19 PM

And does it also perform good when its not SLI 'ed yet?
October 12, 2010 8:40:56 PM

Yes, you get bloody good preformance with either (obviously SLi is better)

Im just picky when it comes to FPS, if i can get 5-10 more then i will pay for it..
October 13, 2010 6:41:02 AM

ok, and also i have hear lots of coments about the gtx 470 that it gives of too much heat and stuf like that, whats your experience with the card?
October 13, 2010 6:57:52 AM

They are ment to run hot, dont worry about it.

In a SLI config my main GPU runs at 90oC, 15 BELOW the limit temp.

The 2nd Runs at 75oC.

There ment to run hot so dont worry about that.
October 13, 2010 8:08:37 AM

reccy said:
They are ment to run hot, dont worry about it.

In a SLI config my main GPU runs at 90oC, 15 BELOW the limit temp.

The 2nd Runs at 75oC.

There ment to run hot so dont worry about that.

Ok, and what website do you preffer has the best offer on custom build computers?
October 13, 2010 8:40:02 PM

I always use overclockers.co.uk and ebuyer.com as i find these either the cheapest and or the best for me personally.

But there is loads of internet ones you could use, the above post suggest the others, but personally, my favortie and my suggestion would be overclockers.co.uk
October 14, 2010 3:09:30 PM

Big thanks for that info it really helped, after few minits of lookin at the overclokers i also think its the best website to order computer, i have found a phenom ii x4 955 BE combined with gtx 470 for round about £800 do you thing its a good deal? http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS...
a b 4 Gaming
October 14, 2010 11:12:12 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
!