Not enough connectors >_>

clarkx100

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I'm the proud new owner of an HD Radeon 6870. However my PSU is intent on not letting me use it...
It takes 2 6-pin connectors and as I have recently found out my Power Supply only has 2 4-pin molex connectors. I planned to use the 6-pin converters to power the card but in my haste I made a teeny little mistake. 1 6-pin adapter will use up both of my molex's and I dont have any more spare connectors to make a 2nd connection. I know my PSU can handle it it just doesn't have enough connectors and I don't know what to do as I really don't wanna buy another PSU just because I ran out of space...

600w continuous
24a 3.3v
30a 5v
30a 12v rail 1
30a 12v rail 2

Any ideas that don't require me to buy a new one?

clarkx100

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Sadly no, it has no 6-pins standard on it. I bought a build and had no choice in the power supply. So I'm not sure about the model or brand either. I was actually pretty amazed myself with the specs on it. I do have a solution in mind however. I found an adapter that only requires 1 4-pin to convert to 6-pin giving me just enough plugs to work until I replace it.

The video card as I said takes 2 6-pins and runs on the 12 volt rail. It says it takes 75 watts per connector at load so by my math it should take about 6 to 7 amps per connector. I'm thinking that my PSU with its specs should be able to push enough power per 4-pin to support a 6-pin apiece without having to use a Y cable. I read somewhere that the main reason it takes 2 4-pins is because some power supplys can't push enough amps per rail to support with one, but considering mine is 2 rails of 30 amps I don't think I would have a problem sparing 7 amps a rail.

Any thoughts?

The cord is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201004

Edit: I don't know if this makes a difference, but I have a case fan, a side fan, a bottom fan to help circulation and I'm pretty sure they all use 4 pins and one uses 2 so that may be where all my connectors are going.

shovenose

Distinguished
if the psu doesnt have enough connectors its likely not a good psu. a high quality psu is very important, especially if you dont want your nice new graphics card go up in a billow of smoke.
which psu do you have now?

clarkx100

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I opened it up and sort of had a spasm of fear upon seeing the brand name. It's an extreme gear. I think I'm gonna upgrade power supplies like NOW. Extreme gear for those who don't know my experiences with them are the high quality company that brings you the mouse that actually squeaks when you right click. As well as the keyboard that bends in the middle when you push too hard. Yeah, new PSU coming up >_>

Clearly an obsolete design. Lack of PCIe power connectors is one sign. Another sign is the relatively heavy 3.3 and 5 volt rails. Another sign is the clearly optimistic 12 volt rating. Two 30 amp 12 volt rails totals 720 watts by themselves.

You need a new PSU,

clarkx100

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks for the help guys, I bought the Antec 650W on sale from newegg, got my new card hooked up to it and it's running like a dream. Computer is twice as quiet now and wasn't that loud to begin with so great PSU. Thanks for the link Rolli but Beanoslim helped a ton so best answer goes to him =/