Sign in with
Your question

Silverstone Raven 1 or 2, or Fortress 1 or 2..... or something else?

Last response: in Components
January 9, 2011 6:10:21 PM

Thinking of a last minute change in the case for my Sandy Bridge build. I'll be installing the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, and dual 6950's.... oh, and the huge Noctua NH-D14 which is probably worth mentioning.

I've read good things about the Raven and Fortress, so wondered if they were indeed two cases I should be considering, or if there are better cases out there in this price range or lower.

Thanks
a c 134 ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 7:22:34 PM

The Noctua has dropped outta the cooler "Top Ten List" so if that's driving the choice, consider alternatives. I've underlined the big 3

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Top Performers

* Prolimatech Megahalems
* Thermalright Venomous-X RT
* Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG-2100

* ProlimaTech Super Mega
* Cogage Arrow
* ProlimaTech Armageddon
* Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
* Cogage TRUE Spirit
* Xigmatek Balder SD1283
* SilenX Effizio EFZ-120HA4
* Titan FENRIR TTC-NK85TZ

Highly Recommended

* Noctua NH-D14
* Zalman CNPS10X-Performa
* Coolink Corator-DS Heatsink
* CoolAge CA-X120TF Wind Tunnel
* Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
* Thermolab BARAM
* Xigmatek Thor's Hammer S126384
* Scythe Yasya SCYS-1000 Cooler
* Noctua NH-U12P
* Cooler Master V6 GT Heatsink
* Thermaltake Contac-29 CLP0568
* Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet

As for the cases, most of the peeps I'm building for are asking for the HAF-X or DF-85 (I prefer the latter). When building something a bit more "understated", the overwhelming choices are the P183 / P193 because of their sound deadening properties as well as the ability to fit in the extra quiet CP series PSU's. The two cases you mentioned are 1st class and well reviewed.

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 7:28:55 PM

Good point, and it'll look like sh*t through the window (unless you find its dirt brown tinge attractive)

Mega or Ven X black editions will look much nicer. :D 
m
l
January 9, 2011 7:43:00 PM

What fan(s) would I need on the Prolimatech Megahalems?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 7:46:45 PM

Two 120mm would be good push pull, Enermax, Scythe, Yate Loon.

Where abouts are you buying from and I'll post a few for you to look at.

Do you want led fans?
m
l
January 9, 2011 7:52:01 PM

beanoslim said:
Two 120mm would be good push pull, Enermax, Scythe, Yate Loon.

Where abouts are you buying from and I'll post a few for you to look at.

Do you want led fans?

Thanks - Everything is going to be from newegg.com

At first I was thinking I wanted a window and LED's, but now I'm thinking that could be annoying in a dark room if trying to watch a movie. I'm not too worried.... plus, my budget might be getting cut a bit, so the case is one place I might look to save some money.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 8:21:07 PM

Sorry but the Noctua D14 is still the top performing cooler.

The FT02 and RV02 are the absolute best cases for aircooling on the market. Their performance is class leading, you don't have to worry about dust, they are dead silent, and their quality is very high (far better than CM or Antec).
m
l
January 9, 2011 8:37:25 PM

AMW1011 said:

The FT02 and RV02 are the absolute best cases for aircooling on the market. Their performance is class leading, you don't have to worry about dust, they are dead silent, and their quality is very high (far better than CM or Antec).

What are the primary differences between the Fortress 2 and the Raven 2?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 8:43:26 PM

The Fortress is made of more metal than plastic plus others just can't remember them, check some reviews.

If money is an issue you will still have a fantastic case with the Raven.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 8:46:11 PM

AMW1011 said:

A top not the top and still ugly as hell, the Silver Arrow beats it in more testa than it loses.

The Ven X and Mega are only 3-5 deg off the pace and what you sacrifice in cooling power you more than compensate with looks. IMO. :D 
m
l
January 9, 2011 8:59:43 PM

Thanks beanoslim.... I'm so back and forth on this case. I'm tempted to spend just $50 on it, and put more money elsewhere, but then I think of how this one case will last for several different builds so I should get one of the ones we've mentioned in this thread.

And it doesn't help that I was supposed to find out my budget a couple of hours ago, but I'm still waiting.

If I went with the Fortress, anyone know the difference between the FT02B and FT02B-W that is listed on newegg?

EDIT: Nevermind - just realized the W is for Window. Does a window affect cooling in anyway?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2011 11:41:41 PM

beanoslim said:
A top not the top and still ugly as hell, the Silver Arrow beats it in more testa than it loses.

The Ven X and Mega are only 3-5 deg off the pace and what you sacrifice in cooling power you more than compensate with looks. IMO. :D 

With the same fans the D14 out paces the Silver Arrow. You can pull off some sick temps with the right fans and a D14. Of course its not much over any good cooler, but its there.

Besides stock fans are for pansies.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 8:38:25 AM

moogleslam said:
Thanks beanoslim.... I'm so back and forth on this case. I'm tempted to spend just $50 on it, and put more money elsewhere, but then I think of how this one case will last for several different builds so I should get one of the ones we've mentioned in this thread.

And it doesn't help that I was supposed to find out my budget a couple of hours ago, but I'm still waiting.

If I went with the Fortress, anyone know the difference between the FT02B and FT02B-W that is listed on newegg?

EDIT: Nevermind - just realized the W is for Window. Does a window affect cooling in anyway?

Sorry, half asleep the other night, the Fortress does indeed have Silverstones legendary brushed aluminium frontage as opposed to the Ravens plastic. Generally I think the RV02 is like buying a Porsche and the FT02 is like buying a Porsche with the optional sports pack, either way you'll be happy but will it annoy you when you see the other car pull up beside you......what the hell am I going on about. :pt1cable: 

Anyway I don't think the window will effect anything other than the apperance.
I was gonna get the window and put some whit led fans on my Ven X Black just for show.

Did you know you can get the FT02 in full and mid tower? The full towers are massive.

My current Silverstone case is 5 years old with the brushed aluminium front and 0.8mm casing, a bit beaten up know so I've decided to cut a few holes in and give it a re-spray, whatever you buy should last you a while.

Some good reviews
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
http://www.bjorn3d.com/articles/Silverstone_Fortress_Se...

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 8:43:22 AM

AMW1011 said:
With the same fans the D14 out paces the Silver Arrow. You can pull off some sick temps with the right fans and a D14. Of course its not much over any good cooler, but its there.

Besides stock fans are for pansies.

Changing the Noctua fans makes it a very expensive cooler, why are they that colour. [:fixitbil:4]

I read a review with all the main contenders and the Megahalems came out on top, then I realised they had it rigged up with 2x 110CFM Yate Loon wind turbine fans. I think the Ven Black rolled in just behind it. Just the shear size of the DH14 and the Arrow put me off even though they are awesome coolers.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 9:19:51 AM

FEI... i love the color combo of noctua coolers... some people dont like it some do...

Did you know how much difference is there between FT02 and RV02 in size... width - same, height - rv02 taller by 7mm, depth - rv02 longer by 27mm(thats a standard case fan's thickness)... i dont see any sizable difference between them... the main difference though is ft02 is aluminium and steel body whereas rv02 is steel and plastic hence a little more heavier...

hey beanoslim - where can i find the two different sizes of FT02??? i'm having a tough time finding the second one (i guess full tower)...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 10:07:31 AM

thats the point... FT02 is listed as a mid tower but its almost as big as a full tower... the first time i saw it i was sure its was a full tower... even some reviews say its a more refined version of the RV02 which is also listed as full tower...

FEI the sizes of some common mid towers (L X W X H in mm)

HAF 912 - 495 X 231 X 480
Antec 900 - 467 X 206 X 493
Lian Li PC K62 - 498 X 214 X 496

compare this to raven and fortress

RV02 - 643 X 212 x 503
FT02 - 616 X 212 x 497

So they are bigger than conventional mid towers at least in length... how about full towers???

Antec 1200 - 513 X 213 X 582
HAF X - 550 x 230 x 590
TT Armor + - 625 x 245 x 600

Smaller... I guess they fall in category of "neither here nor there" like the below cases

HAF 922 - 564 X 254 X 500
Corsair 600T - 591 X 264 X 508

Even these guys are fatter than the two in question... :o  :pt1cable: 

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 11:40:17 AM

You like the 800D???

Its a 610 X 229 X 610 mm sized big black box... the air circulation sucks... i would use it as a 24/7 expensive server nothing more nothing less...

Granted its exceptionally well-built... has good support structures for LC... but i wouldn't even dream of showing off with that case (flashy or otherwise)...

FT02 or RV02 can be shown off (they look classy on the outside as well as inside), HAF is flashy inside out... Antecs too... but sorry... not 800D... and not for that price...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 11:46:47 AM

Yeah but you like the Noctua colour so I guess we have different taste.. :kaola: 

You find me a review that says the circulation sucks, I've read 5 different reviews, all stating the airflow is very good.
Compared to the Silverstones it is lagging behind but that doesn't mean its bad even though its overpriced.

Show off. :lol: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 12:09:06 PM

Just read this page to see why i say the thermal control is not up to the mark... read the conclusion where they say "the case was suffocating, there just wasn't enough cool air getting into the case to cool the parts" even mods here have said the same about the 800D... mind you its a nice case... but pretty big and expensive without having anything else to show... other than that its big and can accomodate a lotta things...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 12:20:51 PM

So with some new fans it'll make a great beer cooler. :D 

Hardwarecanucks, Bjorn3D, BitTech and Hardwareheaven never highlighted any such problems.
Just that the case needed sufficiant space from the floor, ie. no shagpile carpets.

Anyway its too expensive really although I do like the way its styled and constructed.

For the money I'd get the RV02 knowing that I really wanted the FT02.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 12:33:56 PM

go with the FT02... its refined, lighter and a tad smaller than RV02... looking at both cases inside side-on and side by side you'll see they are carbon copies... and FT02 doesn't have legs which is great if you are parking it in uneven surfaces (not just rug)...

If you plan to go LC (even later if not now) then go for something else altogether... i somehow feel these two will be crowded with the LC setup...

but hey at the end of the day its the buyer who decides what he wants... i know how i was recommended on one thing but ended buying something else due to innumerate reasons...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 1:11:25 PM

Yeah get the one that you know every day you look at it you'll be glad you got it.
m
l
January 10, 2011 1:26:57 PM

abully said:
go with the FT02... its refined, lighter and a tad smaller than RV02... looking at both cases inside side-on and side by side you'll see they are carbon copies... and FT02 doesn't have legs which is great if you are parking it in uneven surfaces (not just rug)...

If you plan to go LC (even later if not now) then go for something else altogether... i somehow feel these two will be crowded with the LC setup...

but hey at the end of the day its the buyer who decides what he wants... i know how i was recommended on one thing but ended buying something else due to innumerate reasons...

What's LC? I'm probably being retarded.....

And as for the RV02 vs FT02, besides cosmetic changes and weight, do you feel there's a noise/temperature performance difference between the two?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 1:35:01 PM

Lager cooling. :lol: 

Very minimul if any, they are basically the same inside.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 10, 2011 1:41:00 PM

LC is liquid cooling - not corsair H50 or H70 but proper liquid cooling kit with separate parts... i guess beanoslim always dreams of getting his PC drunk...
m
l
January 10, 2011 3:07:13 PM

Oh, duh.... no, won't be going with a LC setup at anytime.

Gonna be the Raven 2 or Fortress 2 for sure.
m
l
!