Best price on Sandy Bridge?

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Don't know how they do it, but Microcenter blows Newegg away on prices for CPU's. In the U.S., For i5 2500k CPU I've got Newegg at $225, and I've got Microcenter at $180 in store. even with sales tax that puts Microcenter about $30 better.

Any better prices out there from good retailer (not ebay)?

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
That great price from Micro Center is a marketing strategy. Any 1155 chip is going to require a new board. And that usually means a new system. They may not make any to little on the chip, but they are clearly trying to get people in the door to sell products that go with it- in store only, with a limit of 1. It is the best price in the country at the moment, no arguing that. What I don't understand is how Intel is letting them do it. Usually there are retail price minimums to be upheld- or else...

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hope Microcenter keeps that price in play for a while, because I'm in the ATL area and we're supposed to get snow / ice so I'm staying home. Looks like the price on the boards is about the same as the egg, but I'll probably get the board from Newegg.

swimswithtrout

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

Same here in Colorado! We've gotten ~ 5-6" of snow so far.

I'll keep track of Microcenters price. Throw in Sales taxes and $15 for gas there and back, and the 2500k will be ~$209. I'm not sure it's worth the 1 1/2-2 hr drive RT to save $16 over Newegg.

AT 50 mph x 1.5 hrs...that's 75 miles at what Unc;le Sam says is worth $0.50 per mile in car wear and tear and gas ....

$16 - $37.50 = you're in the hole dude .... not to mention 2+ hours of ya life.

tecmo34

Administrator
10 minutes from work here in the Cincy area...

I still buy from Newegg because the overall system price is cheaper and with much better MOBO, RAM & etc. selections. As PsychoSaysDie, they raise their prices on other components and have limited selection on things to buy.

Resteasy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
motherboard prices I've seen at microcenter (online) look to be the same. Plus they have a asus pro bundle that adds another discount when purchased together.
I wish my microcenter wasn't over 150 miles away else I'd get it there.
Instead I grabbed the 2500k from tigerdirect.com ($229)
newegg is $5 cheaper but the sales tax (california) kills it for me. Tiger has no sales tax for me but did cost something on shipping.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Lower CPU prices, Mark up Motherboard prices. Very simple
Errands today put my within driving distance from the one Microcenter in Michigan :)
Saved the $35 on a 2500K after tax... and picked up the Asus motherboard (that Newegg wasn't even stocking yet) at roughly the same price I was going to pay for the Gigabyte board I was also looking at. Newegg seemed to have the $8 shipping on all their 1155 boards... so that kinda offset state taxes. I feel it wasn't marked up too badly...

Now... I already had some DDR3... and am keeping all my drives... so no opportunity to get taken advantage of there :)

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I'm leaning towards an asus p8p67 pro board. Newegg, the p8p67 pro is $190 plus $8 shipping and i5 2500k is $225. Total: $423.

Microcenter the bundle deal with the p8p67 pro and i5 2500k is $340 plus tax of $23.80 for a total of $363.80

Savings of about $60. I'm about an hour from a Microcenter in Atlanta, and I've got to go to ATL anyway, so it's probably worth driving by there to save the $60. Still don't have my mind made up. Kind of interested in the Sabertooth p67 board, but I don't think they're available yet. Not so sure I want to be the guinea pig for that jacketed design on the sabertooth p67.

Don't get me wrong. Love Newegg.

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I believe that I heard that microcenter was an original partner or something with Intel, allowing them to purchase CPUs from Intel at a lower price, thus allowing them to sell the CPUs at a lower price.

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I'm near ATL. Snowed in since Monday. All ready to go out this weekend and snag my i5 2500k / P8P67 Pro bundle from Microcenter, and now I see the bundle deal is gone. Dang it! Back to the waiting game - or probably just Newegg.

loneninja

Distinguished
I've got microcenter about an hour drive away, I usually don't bother going there. Last time I went was for an Athlon II X2 with free motherboard combo, and a few other rebated items for an extreme budget rebuild of a friends computer. Good upgrade over the socket 754 sempron he had. lol

There I7 deals have been killer, even some of the AMD motherboard deals are amazing, but once I add gas and tax vs no tax and free shipping from the egg, it's not worth it.

roscolo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Yeah, the Microcenter combo deal and a deal they had on a full tower AZZA Solano case were both much lower than Newegg. Now that the ice around here has finally thawed, both of those deals are gone. Driving there to save $100 makes sense. To save $30-$40, not so much. I'll stay on the fence for now.

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Its pretty simple - just factor in gas (and time - if you value your time).

But to say its BAD just because they mark up the mobos.....well, nobody says you MUST buy the mobo from MC! You can still buy that from Newegg if you want. Its not like they're matched pairs or something. I plan to pick up the CPU at MC and then I might get the mobo elsewhere. Its a $30 savings - $25 after gas.

Good thing about MC is I retain the option to return the CPU (unopened) so if Newegg lowers their price I could always switch. But I doubt MC will be beaten on these prices.