Headset/mic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Do all these headsets that combine headphone and microphone plug into
two seperate 3.5mm sockets? I've been offered one that has a single jack
plug, but I'm presuming it would need two?
Thanks.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:03:45 +0100, Steve wrote:

> Do all these headsets that combine headphone and microphone plug into
> two seperate 3.5mm sockets? I've been offered one that has a single jack
> plug, but I'm presuming it would need two?

I've never seen one that worked with a single jack. Don't think it's
possible with the output jacks from a soundcard. The one I'm using
certainly has two plugs.

Linux Registered User #327951

Steve <steveo40uk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Do all these headsets that combine headphone and microphone plug into
>two seperate 3.5mm sockets? I've been offered one that has a single jack
>plug, but I'm presuming it would need two?

Single plug headsets are typically for use with cordless or cellular
phones, and will require and expensive adapter to work with your PC.
Get one made for the PC and you'll be happier and wealthier.

--
William Smith

> Single plug headsets are typically for use with cordless or cellular
> phones, and will require and expensive adapter to work with your PC.
> Get one made for the PC and you'll be happier and wealthier.

:eek: Not sure where you get your adapters, but it should cost less than the
headset.

For the OP: My (hopefuilly not patronising) advice is to make sure the
headset is a stereo one, otherwise you will lose stereo, since now all of
the sound will go through the headset. The adapter should be relatively
cheap (~£5, rather than, say £20 for a reasonable headset).

Just for interest: My ideal speech setup would be to have a headset from
www.theboom.com plugged into my (bloody old) laptop running teamspeak.
That way I can have the sound still pumping out of my speakers om my
gaming box =] Anyone got a setup like this. FYI I don't think I could ever
justify dropping £100 on a headset, nice though it is.

--
IWIK

IWIK wrote:

> :eek: Not sure where you get your adapters, but it should cost less than
> the headset.

Hmm, okay headsets for PC use can be haved for like £2-3 so such an
adapter must be really cheap:)

> Just for interest: My ideal speech setup would be to have a headset
> from www.theboom.com plugged into my (bloody old) laptop running
> teamspeak. That way I can have the sound still pumping out of my
> speakers om my gaming box =] Anyone got a setup like this. FYI I don't
> think I could ever justify dropping £100 on a headset, nice though it is.

No need to use two PC's just use two sound cards.

Kind regards

Bruno

--
To mail me write to iddqdATworldonline.dk (U know what 2 do)

More of these http://www.westocykler.dk would mean less cars and less
polution.

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

"iddqd" <DontUse@ThisAdress.Ever> wrote in message
> IWIK wrote:
>

> > :eek: Not sure where you get your adapters, but it should cost less than
> > the headset.
> >
> Hmm, okay headsets for PC use can be haved for like £2-3 so such an
> adapter must be really cheap:)
>

> > Just for interest: My ideal speech setup would be to have a headset
> > from www.theboom.com plugged into my (bloody old) laptop running
> > teamspeak. That way I can have the sound still pumping out of my
> > speakers om my gaming box =] Anyone got a setup like this. FYI I don't
> > think I could ever justify dropping £100 on a headset, nice though it
is.

> No need to use two PC's just use two sound cards.

No need to use 2 sound cards if you have one that allows both.
I have a soundblaster platinum external. It allows you to use the speakers
and the headphones at the same time.

> Kind regards
>
> Bruno
>

> --
> To mail me write to iddqdATworldonline.dk (U know what 2 do)
>
> More of these http://www.westocykler.dk would mean less cars and less
> polution.

> No need to use 2 sound cards if you have one that allows both.
> I have a soundblaster platinum external. It allows you to use the
> speakers and the headphones at the same time.

Fair enough. My rationale was eking every bit of performance out of the
machine without it having to worry about encoding. But then, if you're
gonna do that, you might as well get a second connection =]

--
IWIK

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

IWIK wrote:

> For the OP: My (hopefuilly not patronising) advice is to make sure the
> headset is a stereo one, otherwise you will lose stereo, since now all
> of the sound will go through the headset.

I now have the headset here. Its mono (one earpiece) and after reading
William's reply, I realise its unsuitable and actually meant for some
sort of telecomms. Its a GN Netcom Profile, by BT.

> Just for interest: My ideal speech setup would be to have a headset
> from www.theboom.com plugged into my (bloody old) laptop running
> teamspeak. That way I can have the sound still pumping out of my
> speakers om my gaming box =]

I think I'd still want my sound coming from my 2.1 system, and as I
can't imagine there's much gaming advantage to be gained by using stereo
headphones, perhaps all I need is a boom mic (no headphone)?
Any suggestions on suitable, good quality headsets or boom mics appreciated.
Thanks to all.

Andrew

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 17:41:12 +0100, Steve <steveo40uk@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I think I'd still want my sound coming from my 2.1 system, and as I
>can't imagine there's much gaming advantage to be gained by using stereo
>headphones

The advantage is that when you use voice chat the other players don't
have to listen to your game in the background, and you don't end up
deafening everyone with feedback.

> I think I'd still want my sound coming from my 2.1 system, and as I
> can't imagine there's much gaming advantage to be gained by using stereo
> headphones, perhaps all I need is a boom mic (no headphone)?
> Any suggestions on suitable, good quality headsets or boom mics
> appreciated.

It's a great idea, however you have the problem of the game sounds
activating the mic, so you have to ensure that either a) your speakers are
turned down sufficiently so that the noise level doesn't go past the Mic
activation level or b) you have a microphone that doesn't pick up external
sounds well. My suggestion of the headset from www.theboom.com was because
of that (as it goes on about being heard whispering into the headset in
the NYSE yadda yadda yadda). You may have to search around for one. Your
headset may yet be useful if you go down the 2nd comp, 2nd soundcard
route, but I can only see it being useful with teamspeak (superior IMO)
rather than with the inbuilt voice chat as you can (IIRC) select the
destination for the input and output sound with that.

--
IWIK

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

IWIK wrote:

> It's a great idea, however you have the problem of the game sounds
> activating the mic, so you have to ensure that either a) your speakers
> are turned down sufficiently so that the noise level doesn't go past
> the Mic activation level or b) you have a microphone that doesn't pick
> up external sounds well.

Ah yes, I completely forgot about this! Ok, I'll look into headsets some
more. Thanks.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Andrew wrote:

> The advantage is that when you use voice chat the other players don't
> have to listen to your game in the background, and you don't end up
> deafening everyone with feedback.

Yes, I had forgotten about this. What headset do you use?

Andrew

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:00:04 +0100, Steve <steveo40uk@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I had forgotten about this. What headset do you use?

I use a MS Gamevoice, although the Plantronics headset it comes with
doesn't have great audio quality.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:03:45 +0100, Steve <steveo40uk@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Yes they do, any set that has one plug is for a phone.

>Do all these headsets that combine headphone and microphone plug into
>two seperate 3.5mm sockets? I've been offered one that has a single jack
>plug, but I'm presuming it would need two?
>Thanks.

> Don't they make USB headsets? Do those do stereo sound & mic through the
> single USB connection?

They do indeed. However I believe that all sound porcessing is taken away
from the sound card etc. and loaded on to the CPU with these headsets.
Admittedly the performance hit won't be much, but it'll be there and as
most people seem keen on getting the best frame rate out of the game,
they're probably not that good an idea.

--
IWIK

> sound porcessing

Time to install that Opera spellcheck, methinks.

--
IWIK

wrote:

box =]

>I think I'd still want my sound coming from my 2.1 system, and as I
>can't imagine there's much gaming advantage to be gained by using stereo
>headphones, perhaps all I need is a boom mic (no headphone)?
>Any suggestions on suitable, good quality headsets or boom mics appreciated.
>Thanks to all.

Here's what I did.... I bought a Plantronics headset from NewEgg for
$18 bucks
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=26-106-014&depa=0
but only plugged the mic jack into my sound card. I wear the
headphones around my neck and that puts the mic in a perfect position
and it's very comfortable. Like you, I would rather hear the game
through my speaker system, but if I ever need to use a headset, I have
one.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Folk wrote:

> Here's what I did.... I bought a Plantronics headset from NewEgg for
> $18 bucks
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=26-106-014&depa=0
> but only plugged the mic jack into my sound card. I wear the
> headphones around my neck and that puts the mic in a perfect position
> and it's very comfortable. Like you, I would rather hear the game
> through my speaker system, but if I ever need to use a headset, I have
> one.

Wow, that particular headset is much more expensive over here (UK), and
the prices vary a lot too. One shop sells them at £35, which I think is
something like $50 to $60?? I found a pair at £23 though.

I presume you're not troubled with feedback etc, using them like you do?

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:55:25 +0100, Steve <steveo40uk@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Folk wrote:
>
>> Here's what I did.... I bought a Plantronics headset from NewEgg for
>> $18 bucks
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=26-106-014&depa=0
>> but only plugged the mic jack into my sound card. I wear the
>> headphones around my neck and that puts the mic in a perfect position
>> and it's very comfortable. Like you, I would rather hear the game
>> through my speaker system, but if I ever need to use a headset, I have
>> one.
>
>Wow, that particular headset is much more expensive over here (UK), and
>the prices vary a lot too. One shop sells them at £35, which I think is
>something like $50 to $60?? I found a pair at £23 though.
>
>I presume you're not troubled with feedback etc, using them like you do?

No feedback problems.

Plantronics is US based, so there's your price difference. I would
imagine that any reasonably prices headphones would do the same job.
Just make sure you go with something that plugs directly into your
sound system and avoid any USB products.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Folk wrote:

> No feedback problems.
>
> Plantronics is US based, so there's your price difference. I would
> imagine that any reasonably prices headphones would do the same job.
> Just make sure you go with something that plugs directly into your
> sound system and avoid any USB products.

I've just ordered a Plantronics Audio 60 headset (not USB) for only
£8.95 new, via eBay. USB would have been nice, as pulling out the tower
to plug mics etc., into the back is a real pain.
Thanks for the replies.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Da Wrecka wrote:

> I bought a pair of Labtec speakers a while back from Dixons for about
> fifteen quid which had a headphone and a mic socket on the front. Sadly I
> don't recall the model (the label on the bottom of one speaker reads
> LCS-1060 but the box had a totally different name for the model) but the
> point is that there's an inexpensive way of making it unnecessary to mess
> with the back of your PC more than once to accomodate a headset if you look
> around a bit.

Buying a new and equivalent quality set of speakers to the one I have
now, could hardly be an inexpensive solution to this problem.