Compaq R3360US

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking at a new CP R3360US from Best Buy. I would like to wipe
out the hard drive and clean install XP Pro. I don't want all of the
extra clutter they install at the factory. Does anyone know if XP can
locate all of the needed drivers or will it be a major problem to
clean installXP?

"gweldgen" <gweldge1@rochester.rr-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:41e350f2$1_2@alt.athenanews.com...
>I am looking at a new CP R3360US from Best Buy. I would like to wipe
> out the hard drive and clean install XP Pro. I don't want all of the
> extra clutter they install at the factory. Does anyone know if XP can
> locate all of the needed drivers or will it be a major problem to
> clean installXP?

I did just that on a R3000 US. I had a problem with the modem and one
other device, I think it was the video. Apparently the installed
drivers for the two devices were later versions than the ones on the
accompanying XP CD. I called Compaq and very quickly was told where to
find the latest drivers. Downloaded them and things worked fine.

markjenn

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2005

>I am looking at a new CP R3360US from Best Buy. I would like to wipe
> out the hard drive and clean install XP Pro. I don't want all of the
> extra clutter they install at the factory. Does anyone know if XP can
> locate all of the needed drivers or will it be a major problem to
> clean installXP?

It's usually a lot safer and easier to remove the stuff you don't want
installed than to load a generic OS and the locate all the apporpriate
drivers.

- Mark

markjenn wrote:

>>I am looking at a new CP R3360US from Best Buy. I would like to wipe
>>out the hard drive and clean install XP Pro. I don't want all of the
>>extra clutter they install at the factory. Does anyone know if XP can
>>locate all of the needed drivers or will it be a major problem to
>>clean installXP?
>

> It's usually a lot safer and easier to remove the stuff you don't want
> installed than to load a generic OS and the locate all the apporpriate
> drivers.
>
> - Mark

Exactly.

The only 'extra clutter' that the Compaq (HP)Quick Restore installs is
bundled software such as MS Money that may have been supplied with a
particular model, and that's easily removed.

Once the automated QR is run then you can look for any drivers that you
would like to upgrade (if you really think you need to)on the HP site.

No need to do it the hard way IMHO.
(Unless you really have your heart set on XP Pro and its XP Home that is
supplied)