brutesquad

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I have 2 Windows 8 machines and 1 Windows 7 machine.

I have a Seagate 3TB external harddrive I would like to store images of each on.

Windows 7/8 has a problem with backing up images to 3TB harddrives with their included backup program.

Any suggestions of a simple, easy to use imaging software? (ps: it appears Acronis has problems with Windows 8 and they're not going to release a fix til March, 2013)

Thanks for your time.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Windows 7 has sysprep built in and you can create an image from that. I typically use it + ghost when doing major yearly replacements. I'm ASSUMING windows 8 has the same but i could be wrong. Ive never had to image/re-image a windows 8 machine (for business / multiple pc's) yet...

Sysprep in 7 lives in C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep
If you haven't used it before I'd suggest reading up and understanding it's different options first.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I've used Norton Ghost in the past and found it an easy to use tool that does the job. Dunno about the Win8 Support, but you can make bootable CDs (if you have an optical drive ofcourse) and handle images through that.

brutesquad

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I trust my limited knowledge to go with sysprep alone. And did not see Windows 8 support for Ghost.

I went with Paragon (free) for now because it's the first one I've found that could do both Windows 7 & 8.

Thanks for the help. I will try sysprep to compliment the Paragon backup.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Goodluck. If you do use sysprep post back if it is included in 8 i'd like to know :D. Thanks!