Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade: World of Warcraft Max Settings

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2010 12:23:49 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next Two months

BUDGET RANGE: GBP 50 - 80

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (World of Warcraft). Want play on Ultra settings. Sick of the poor FPS throughout the playing experience.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, 300W Poswer Supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Phenom X3 8450, ASUS Narra3-GL8E

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ebuyer.co.uk, consider others

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: N/A

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (Never heard of it)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (Never heard of it)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Working during the day with dual screens, not grpahically demanding work. I want to be able to run WOW at Max settings.

REMEMBER: The more information we have about your system, your budget, and what you're using the card for, the better the advice we can give you - providing it up front gets you your answers and puts a card in your hands that much faster!
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 29, 2010 3:41:58 PM

hey stigmoth
you have three issues so I will take them in order of major to minor

1) you don't have a gaming video card. The GT 120 is an OEM card for DVD playback and playing flash based games. For your budget look at the ATI 5670. It will play WoW at high settings with shadows off (shadows kill FPS in WoW) and your current HP PSU can power it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190648

2) your CPU is very slow at 2.1ghz even with three cores. WoW needs a fast dual core CPU. See if HP offered your PC with faster CPUs since they won't let you Over clock.

3) your current PSU limits your options of video cards. Luckily 1440x900 is not very demanding.
August 30, 2010 2:34:25 PM

Many thanks for your reply.

I would still like to have dual screens enabled. I have two monitors (1 AVI, 1 DVI). If i were to buy that grpahics card, would there be a component which would allow to use dual screen?

My current graphics card has a port for both DVI and for AVI.

Thanks again

Stig
Related resources
August 30, 2010 3:04:43 PM

Most modern gpus are now dual dvi and may not support your avi monitor but would support your dvi monitor.
August 30, 2010 3:05:20 PM

Most modern gpus are now dual dvi and may not support your avi monitor but would support your dvi monitor.
August 30, 2010 4:33:10 PM

So what you are saying is that avi is outdated in going forward and if i want to continue to upgrade my graphics and use a dual screen i would need to consider to acquiring another dvi montior?

In that case would this suffice ?http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161347
!