Sign in with
Your question

SB is here, Where's the big $$ drop in the old chips?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2011 9:53:11 PM

Not that I'll be buying anything other than a 2500k, but there has been NO change, that I can see, on the price of any AMD or Intel CPU's with the release of SB. The Egg has the i5-760 still pegged at $205. The top of the line AMD hex core is still at $270.

SB 2500k is looking more and more like "the bargain chip".

More about : big drop chips

January 9, 2011 10:04:04 PM

Just like the Core 2 - Core i, you can still get a great build out of yesterdays core i, if prices dropped no one would go sandy bridge.

This is unfortunately a pain in the ass for most of us.
m
l
a c 233 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2011 10:13:07 PM

I wouldn't expect prices to drop overnight .... stock will have to clear from seller's warehouses before we see any big drops ..... I think we'll also see some drops once we see boards that can run twin GFX at 16x16
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2011 10:21:51 PM

I doub't that there will be much of a drop. Look at the current core 2 prices, even though the core 2 series was phased out, their prices generally remained stable until the remaining supply diminished. The same thing will happen to the current (old) core series. People with systems still have an upgrade path to a higher end cpu without rebuilding their whole systems. until everyone with a system that can potentially be upgraded is phased out, the prices will remain the same.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
January 10, 2011 1:40:28 PM

As long as there's demand, there shouldn't much need to drop prices.

If previous Core i CPUs are not moving as much as retailers expect, then they may have sales every now and then to reduce inventory.
m
l
January 11, 2011 7:46:23 PM

Yes you will NOT see a drop at all really... maybe possibly after the 2011 socket comes out and even then I seriously doubt it. Even the quad core extremes still fetch a heavy price tag and they are OLD!
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 11, 2011 8:17:58 PM

swimswithtrout said:
Not that I'll be buying anything other than a 2500k, but there has been NO change, that I can see, on the price of any AMD or Intel CPU's with the release of SB. The Egg has the i5-760 still pegged at $205. The top of the line AMD hex core is still at $270.

SB 2500k is looking more and more like "the bargain chip".

Right now SB is the best bargain since its priced very well.

But the others will drop in price. It will just take time. Its not an instant drop Probably within the next month or so you will see lower prices for Phenom II and possibly older LGA1156 CPUs. Maybe even LGA1366 will drop since SB does tend to make it look sorta bad. Not really.

But yea. Give it time. Or just buy Sandy Bridge. Can't go wrong there.
m
l
January 12, 2011 5:59:13 AM

I think is based on performance. P4 dropped like a stone when the Core 2 came out.
m
l
!