Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SB 2600K over the 2500K. Is it worth it?

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2011 11:17:07 PM

I was looking at the Toms Hardware review on the SB processors, and noticed that the difference between the 2600K and 2500K is marginal at best.

Now I'm building a pretty sweet gaming rig, which will probably get equal hours use in general productivity stuff, 2d/3d rendering, and gaming. I have the budget to fit the 2600K in. Getting the 2500K won't let me get better graphics or any other PC related shiny things, but it will make my wallet a little happier.

Now my dilemma is that I'm completely drooling over the 2600K, but the performance increase seems to make the 100$ price boost completely unjustified.

So, can anyone give me a halfway decent reason to cave to my tech' addiction and buy the 2600K?

More about : 2600k 2500k worth

January 9, 2011 11:47:38 PM

No they can't... only you can.

If you do alot of CGI/video editing in apps that make use of the extra threads then it's probably worth it.. if you don't then it's probably not.
m
l
January 9, 2011 11:59:27 PM

Bladespirits said:
No they can't... only you can.

If you do alot of CGI/video editing in apps that make use of the extra threads then it's probably worth it.. if you don't then it's probably not.

Well I do, but only about once in a blue moon. I guess 30 seconds of faster editing/rendering every other month isn't really worth 100$.

And unless I'm missing something, the -only- differences between the 2500K and 2600K are: 2MB of cache, 100Mhz, and HT right?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 12:23:52 AM

I guess. Well, go with your gut...

For me, the 2500k is the 'best' as of now.
m
l
January 10, 2011 1:04:27 AM

yakri said:

I'm completely drooling over the 2600K, but the performance increase seems to make the 100$ price boost completely unjustified.

There's your answer.

I was in your shoes but let reason make my choice to go with the 2500k.
m
l

Best solution

a c 345 à CPUs
January 10, 2011 2:02:19 AM

I faced the same decision, and got the 2600K

1) The extra $100 is not economically justified, but I can afford it.
2) I don't want to ever think what could have been later.
3) The extra $100 hurts once, but if you ever regret it it hurts for a longer time.
4) The truth is that the 2500K can probably overclock to the same levels as the 2600K, and I hardly ever make use of the hyperthreading. What I could not get a handle on is the value of 33% more L3 cache, which can only be good.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 2:05:40 AM

Just look at the i7 920 and the i7 950 on their release day. The i7 920 was a better bang for the buck @ $300 a pop, while 950 was at $500 a pop. the 920 voerclcoke close to better than the 950 at a decent price..that si why it was so poplular as an overclocker in the Nehalem days. Go with the lowest i7 k series and overclock that puppy ot death!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 3:41:55 AM

I think you have all the analysis down, OP. I'd say go for the 2500K, and keep the $100 in your pocket so you can spend it on future upgrades... that's at least how I justify it :) 

You'd get more real world benefit from putting the $100 towards a more powerful GPU... or combining your $100 with selling the 2500K in a year and getting an LGA1155 Ivy Bridge for next to nothing.
m
l
January 10, 2011 4:06:31 AM

I decided to go with the 2600K in the end.

It's definitely not worth it's additional price, maybe 50$ more, but not 100$.

However, I'd probably go nuts later if I didn't get it, and being satisfied with your purchase really is worth something in system building, to me anyway.

@jpmucha Thanks for that answer, unfortunately I didn't read yours until just after buying. I might try more or less the same thing but with my 2600K anyway though, I hadn't thought of that. I probably won't have the opportunity to spend money on computer parts for another 3-5 years though. :x

I AM hoping that the extra cache and HT will pay off in the future with a bit of over-clocking.

Tl;dr for anyone reading through this: My choice was the stupid but satisfying one. :lol: 

PS. I wish you could choose multiple best answers.
m
l
January 10, 2011 4:09:21 AM

Best answer selected by yakri.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 4:23:30 AM

If you're not planning on doing an upgrade for 3-5 years... I think you made the right choice. For awhile there, I was upgrading my 'core' every 18 months or so... and feeding the parts down to family members... so the 'bang for the buck' purchases worked. I've had my Q6600 longer than any other system since I started building them... since I spent more on it than normal... so it kinda evens out :) 

Enjoy the system... like you said... no regrets :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2011 5:03:36 AM

jpmucha said:
If you're not planning on doing an upgrade for 3-5 years... I think you made the right choice. For awhile there, I was upgrading my 'core' every 18 months or so... and feeding the parts down to family members... so the 'bang for the buck' purchases worked. I've had my Q6600 longer than any other system since I started building them... since I spent more on it than normal... so it kinda evens out :) 

Ha, You were following Moore's Law! :D 
m
l
January 10, 2011 5:46:29 AM

jpmucha said:

Yeah, I've done something along those lines for a long time, my previous three PC's have been passed on to family members. ^_^ I've never gone in farther than 800$ on a PC before though and this time I'm trying to both make myself a 'fire breathing dragon' type PC to have fun with, but also make it a big time investment so I'm not totally wasting my money in the bang for your buck department.
:) 

m
l
!