Phenom II 965 over heating

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I built this system about a year ago. Phenom II 965 BE, stock cooler, no OC, biostar ta790gxe MB, 4gb. This morning everything was fine, played crysis for about 2 hours. Started to lag a little towards the end but didn't pay it any mind. When I came back to play again, the game was super choppy and unplayable. I checked the temps on a whim and found 48-51 at idle and 60+++ under load. Prime95 causes temps to spike to 65 within minutes. Temps would probably keep rising if I didnt get scared and shut down the test. I flashed the bios and reapplied silver compund but got no improvements.

Core voltage is 1.408 which seems high from what i've read. Anyway to drop that down a little? I scoured through the Bios looking for core voltage control, but cant find it. All the voltage adjustments I found ADD voltage only.

What could have happened from last night/this morning to this afternoon? I have been reading forums all afternoon. A few posters said its kinda normal to run hot with the stock cooler, but this is seems excessive! Besides its been running (mostly) fine for the last year.

Thanks in advance! This is really bumming me out :fou:

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I cleaned out the cooler when I reapplied the thermal compound. It was a little dirty but not terrible. Fan is on at max speed, 3200-3400 RPM at all time.

I found AMD overdrive. Started playing with the core voltage setting. Brought down to 1.275 and crashed before prime95 could start testing. brought it up to 1.375 and dropped the multiplier down to 15 (3000mhz) this dropped the idle temp to 39 at the lowest but leveled of at around 42. Prime95 caused to to jump back up to 60 when i shut it down :(

This couldnt be caused by the stock cooler could it? Temps are so unstable even with the speedss dropped well below the advertised speed.

Ugh, not sure what to do at this point. How long is AMD's warranty?

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Doesn't sound like a problem with your CPU. Sounds like a cooling problem, not taking heat out.

Check all airflow in the case, check case fan openings etc. Run computer with case open, and see if that makes any difference. See if your heatsink is getting hot. If chip is too hot, and heatsink is hot, it's an airflow problem. If heatsink is cool and chip is too hot it's a heatsink problem.

All those voltages etc sounded OK. i would go back to what you had in bios on cpu. Also enable cool and quiet. Worse comes to worse, buy a new heatsink - I like this, 14.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207006

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

Sometimes, having the case open can affect the way air flows through the case in a negative way. In an ideal system, the cool pushing in at the front is sucked up past the hot components with the hot air eventually getting exhausted out the back. With no side on the case, the 'jet stream' isn't necessarily going across... so its just stagnant air around the heat sources. Not always... but sometimes...

How hot is the air blowing out the rear of your case? If it feels hotter than it should... that suggests that the heat is building up faster than it can be exhausted.

My Q6600 was nearly overheating during prime95 testing until a bought a Xigmatek fan with a very similar design to the Sunbeam fan suddenstop is suggesting. It surprised the hell out of me when it dropped over 20 degC off my peak temps. In my case, the exhaust air wasn't that hot, so the CPU fan was the key. God bless those heat pipes :)

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The case was closed when this all started. The first thing I did was to open the case to see if it made a difference. It didnt. When the case was closed the exhaust coming out seemed relatively cool. Not hot by any means.

Last night I ordered a Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler. I'll have it in a few days. Im pretty sure this will take care of it, but I still cant explain why its never been an issue before yesterday.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
here's how i check to see if its airflow or not... open the side of the case, put a box fan in front of the open side turned to max... if that cools it down then yea its airflow, new cpu cooler might compensate for it, but make sure your fans are all unobstructed/ that all spots that can mount a fan have a fan

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Interesting results from that test. The fan dropped idle temps to never lower than 39, leveling off around 42. These temps seem high but acceptable. Run prime95 and and it climbs, slower than before, but still up to 62 where I shut it down.

I still feel that 1.408 for core voltage may be high. Can anyone confirm what stock voltage should be? When I dropped it with AOD, 1.375= better, but still not acceptable loaded temps 1.250 = unstable, crashes before test begins. When i restart the V ends up back at 1.408. how do you make the settings stick after reboot?

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
So I found the VID setting in my bios and dropped it to 1.275. this instantly dropped my idle temps to around 36, which is pretty good IMO. Under load it still hit 62 running prime95. I then dropped the multiplier to 16 (from stock 17). Now max temp is 53, but I'm getting hardware failure messages from P95. Im gonna add .100 to vcore and see if it stabilizes.

I guess its just another case of crappy cooling! My new fan should help a lot I think. Its just a little weird that all this started so suddenly.

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
So I got the new processor today.I put the system back together with the Mugen 2 cooler I got. Temps are now 30 at idle and 41 full load. The system is altogether smooth and stable. Except for Crysis! Its still so choppy I cant play! Changing settings doesn't seem to help and I ran Furmark video tester util and it passed. I got a 610 score what ever that means. On the site I found a similar cards results and the were virtually the score.

Could this be caused by a bad MB? How can I test it? Maybe ill call biostar and see if I can get it RMA'd too.

Suggest away if you have any ideas!

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Diamond HD4650. Its mediocre at best and at this point I'm gonna blame all of the instability on it. As long as I keep the settings and resolution on the low side everything is cool. I swear I was running it at full res before all this started, but oh well.

I guess i'll buy another one at some point. Sucks cause this one is only 1 year old. Any suggestions on an affordable replacement?

dirtypants

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
PSU is an antec 650w I believe. The one the case came with was 400 I think. When I first built the system I had some instability issues that ended up being a bad mem stick. Before I figured that out I replaced the PSU thinking underpower was the problem. Native res is 1920x1080.

I'd probably want to keep it as far under $200 as possible, But I dont really want to end up with a mediocre POS like I have now either.

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Rolli59 is giving you a pretty good list of options. The Radeon 5770 is a nice card in the $100-125 neighborhood, but the other cards will buy you time before the next GPU upgrade... and be better for the time you have 'em!