Sign in with
Your question

Artifacts with ati video acceration

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2010 2:40:19 PM

I get artifacts when using ffdshow dxva when playing certain .mkvs. Sometimes there are green bands along with it. Everything plays fine when you disable gpu acceleration
I tried using another media player to see if it was ffdshow but the artifacts remained when gpu acceleration was enabled
Here is a video file that I have artifacts on: http://www.filesonic.com/en/file/11932245/Suzumiya_Haru...

I'm guessing its my video card thats causing it, have a ASUS 5850. Running CCC 10.8
August 30, 2010 10:35:50 PM

bump, any ideas? -.-
m
l
August 30, 2010 11:19:22 PM

I would try another driver first since so many seem to be having problems with 10.8 (although not that particular problem). Maybe reinstall your codecs too since it's only certain .mkv's.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2010 12:38:56 AM

I've reinstalled codecs already. This problem was persistent on all ati drivers I've used.

I'm wondering is it my card, or does ati generally fail at this sort of thing
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:40:10 AM

I know you tired another Media Player, but have you tried VLC? It hadnles my mkvs really well. I used to have problems watching subs in other media players, and VLC seems to be the only one that works well for me.
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:47:18 AM

ATI cards do not support DXVA decoding on high profile above L4.1 same as intel, Why is that?
Because that is the level blu-ray plays at

Depending on what the encoder did he may be violating the number of reference frames in a given profile or just using his a unlimited profile to which he can set up w.e compression he wants.

Just use CPU decoding. Things may have changed but the last time i checked it still had the limitations in place.
m
l
August 31, 2010 1:20:36 AM

I recall that on 10.4 they enabled 5.1, or was I mistaken? I guess I'll just have to make my i7 work its worth then eh?

I don't understand what you ment by the profiles though
m
l
August 31, 2010 3:54:47 PM

Do you get artifacting on anything else? Such as games? If so, card is either overheating, in which case you can turn up fan speed in CCC or you may have bad ram on the vid card.
m
l
August 31, 2010 10:03:59 PM

sl83r said:
Do you get artifacting on anything else? Such as games? If so, card is either overheating, in which case you can turn up fan speed in CCC or you may have bad ram on the vid card.

How does this even relate to what I'm asking...? You'd think I'd notice artifacts ingame. I'm talking about ati's problem on gpu acceleration.
m
l
!