(Is power enought or it will burn?) AeroCool Modern-V fan controler wi

AlExAkE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I have CoolerMaster HAF X case, and I added few more fans to it, for a better cooling. Here they are, total of 8.

2x230mm - 0.40A @ 700RPM (19 dBA)
2x200mm - 0.28A @ 700RPM (19 dBA)
2x140mm - 0.14A @ 1000RPM (19 dBA)
2x120mm - 0.15A @ 120RPM (19 dBA)

They all are 3pin connectors, so I used adapter 3pin to 4pin mulex (12). I connected them directly to 1 of the power supple 12v lines (I have 1200W PSU Antec) and they run at full speed and the noise is pretty annoying for my likings. So I decided to slow them down to minimize the noise, and I have been looking for LCD fan controller that can do the job.

I like this one: AeroCool Modern-V http://www.aerocool.us/peripheral/modernv.htm

It takes 1 4pin mulex connector, and gives you 4 3pin fan headers. Since I have 4 pairs of 2-exact same fans, I plan to use Y splitter in order to control 2 identical fans with 1 headers. However in the manual of the this controller it says that can support 0.5A / 6W per header. Manual - http://www.aerocool.us/images/peripheral/Modern-V/Modern-V-manual.jpg

So, theoretically if all fans are running at full speed (not planing to), then the 2x200mm fans will be barely over the limit, and the 2x230mm fans are like 65% more.

2x230mm - 0.40A = 0.80A X 12V = 9.60W
2x200mm - 0.28A = 0.56A X 12V = 6.72W

All that said, I did tried it and plunged both 230mm fans to 1 header and it works, it does the job although the specifications say it is not supported. Since the other 2 headers are not pushed to the limit (barely used), does that give the device some headroom? Can I keep using it like that or it will eventually burn out? Will the fans maybe burn out? Keep in mind that 230mm fan uses 0.40A at full load @700RPM, and I am running them like 400-600RPM. Since the controller is lowering the Amps given to the fans, does that make it OK to provide enough for both 230mm fans for example? Thanks and sorry for the link question, just wanted to explain myself better.

All their fan controllers use same power requirements, and haven't found any other one that can do the job better. Don't like knobs sticking out of my case aether. Any suggestions please! Thanks

Solution
Actually the system works hotter at low fan speeds since it is dropping voltage(regulating it). You will notice little heatsinks on the back that will in fact get hotter as the fans run slower and cooler as they run faster. At full speed there is very little voltage regulation going on(since you are running at or very close to 12 volts).

I think you are safe for all fans with except the 230mm one. That i recommend just running on 5 volts if it will start on 5. Is it actually that fan that is loud?

I am not able say it will break for sure, but that is a fair bit over the controllers ratings and if you go to high, you will burn that channel on the controller it self.

Since the controller has channels, having some with low load does not...

cmcghee358

Distinguished
The fans won't burn out. All that might happen is they won't be able to run at 100%. Which is not a big deal at all because the HAF-X has such great airflow, you won't need them to run at 100%.

So in effect, simply by limiting the fans available power you are quieting your system.

In short, enjoy your fan controller and you're reduced noise.

Actually the system works hotter at low fan speeds since it is dropping voltage(regulating it). You will notice little heatsinks on the back that will in fact get hotter as the fans run slower and cooler as they run faster. At full speed there is very little voltage regulation going on(since you are running at or very close to 12 volts).

I think you are safe for all fans with except the 230mm one. That i recommend just running on 5 volts if it will start on 5. Is it actually that fan that is loud?

I am not able say it will break for sure, but that is a fair bit over the controllers ratings and if you go to high, you will burn that channel on the controller it self.

Since the controller has channels, having some with low load does not actually increase the power handling on the others.

Solution

AlExAkE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

How can I run the 230mm fan on 5V and make it safe? I really don't want to burn the header of the controller, and I mentioned I did plug both 230mm fans to 1 of the headers and they ran just fine, but I worry if that may change in future... Since they are rated at 700RPM and I run them at ~ 500~550 is like 20-30% less power than it the rated 0.40A (which in theory should be like 0.30A). I may be wrong and I'm not arguing, just wondering and asking...

Thanks for the replies... anyone else have e thoughts about this? Any info is appreciated!

Running a fan on 5 volts is an easy mod, all you do is feed the fan from the red wires on the molex power supply connector and not the yellow(there are adapters for this as well). The only issue is that some fans will not start on 5 volts(i have 2 140mm fans that will not start on 5, it mostly happens with low speed fans).

I would like to point out that many fans list there absolute max power draw. And many are actually much lower. I can not promise it will work forever or not.

This fan is a good example
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=AP121&area=usa

AlExAkE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I am thinking to run 1 of the 230mm fans directly to the mobo, but I need some way to control it because it runs at full 700RPM. The rest are going to be fine on the AeroCool controller even 2 by 2 since their Amps are still below 0.5A. I wonder if 1 header does control correctly 2 exact same fans, given that they both together need less than 0.5A, which is the requirement per header line.