Sign in with
Your question

Can i use one of my old laptop HDD on a new pc?

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2013 6:16:54 PM

I've been thinking of building a new PC since the one I'm using is very out dated. I'm on a budget so i really cant spend the extra dollars on a new HDD or a new OS disk. Luckily my brothers Win7 laptop broke down and now i have a spare HDD. I dont have any windows CD's since the os came pre installed. I was hoping i can use this laptop HDD with a new PC. Any suggestions on how i can pull this off? (Also the HDD used to be on an AMD laptop and i'm also buying an AMD cpu, does this resolve the driver compatibility issues?)

All help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

More about : laptop hdd

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 23, 2013 6:37:58 PM

You can I hooked one up(sata) to get info off one cause it was dying for my sister in law. The problem your going to have if you don't do a clean install is the drivers. It might not even boot (BSOD). you will have to uninstall the chipset drivers of the laptop. Some people do it and it boots fine without doing anything and some will get the bsod it just depends on how different the systems are. You can try it. The only other thing will be the windows having changed alot of hardware it might have to be registered since the license is tied to the laptop so you might have to buy windows anyway.
January 23, 2013 6:43:28 PM

te100 said:
You can I hooked one up(sata) to get info off one cause it was dying for my sister in law. The problem your going to have if you don't do a clean install is the drivers. It might not even boot (BSOD). you will have to uninstall the chipset drivers of the laptop. Some people do it and it boots fine without doing anything and some will get the bsod it just depends on how different the systems are. You can try it. The only other thing will be the windows having changed alot of hardware it might have to be registered since the license is tied to the laptop so you might have to buy windows anyway.

Well, the hp laptop is an amd vision dual core cpu, and the cpu im getting is an AMD A10 5800k would i have to uninstall the drivers?Also how would i go on about doing so? The laptop doesnt work anymore but i can connect it as an external HDD on my pc. So how can i uninstall them?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 23, 2013 8:19:17 PM

well i would just install it and see if it works. You might have to boot to safe mode on the new pc to uninstall the drivers if it gives you problems. Its a crap shoot it might and might not.
Like I said before the only other thing is the windows license I don't know if its transferable like that you might have to call Microsoft to get it re registered.
January 24, 2013 7:10:50 PM

Quote:
well i would just install it and see if it works. You might have to boot to safe mode on the new pc to uninstall the drivers if it gives you problems. Its a crap shoot it might and might not.
Like I said before the only other thing is the windows license I don't know if its transferable like that you might have to call Microsoft to get it re registered.

What's the worst that can happen? Can it somehow kill any of my parts? :$
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 24, 2013 8:52:05 PM

no the worst that will happen is that it wont boot it will bsod. It might even boot and windows will install the new drivers for you and you might not have to do anything
January 26, 2013 3:22:09 PM

te100 said:
no the worst that will happen is that it wont boot it will bsod. It might even boot and windows will install the new drivers for you and you might not have to do anything

ok well if were to get a copy of WIN 7, how would i clean the hard drive? do i just wipe it? ( just making sure :s) thanks.
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 26, 2013 6:58:16 PM

yes format which it will ask upgrade or custom choose custom and format
January 26, 2013 7:24:05 PM

te100 said:
yes format which it will ask upgrade or custom choose custom and format

Just making sure again, i connect it to my pc i have now, and i choose custom format?
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
January 26, 2013 8:33:21 PM

if you just want to format it then you can just hook it up to your pc as an extra hd it will show up as E: or D: or something like that and you will be able to format it then
!