Do i need to re install Windows 7 when changing motherboards?

I'm upgrading my motherboard to an asrock p67 extreme 4 on windows 7 and was wondering if I'd end up having to.
5 answers Last reply
More about install windows changing motherboards
  1. You do on XP so I'm pretty sure you must on W7.
  2. Most likely not. HOwever you it may require changing to the IDE/SATA mode to Compatible until the latest IDE drivers get installed via the OS. I have moved drives from several machines and this seems to be the one "gotcha" with Win7. Once the IDE/SATA drivers installed then you can reset it back to AHCI (if you have it) and you should be fine. YOu may need to install some drivers for other devices aftewards as well.
  3. velz said:
    I'm upgrading my motherboard to an asrock p67 extreme 4 on windows 7 and was wondering if I'd end up having to.

:sol: :sol: :sol: Yes you have to re-install your OS to get 100% performance of your rig when u replace a mother board. It is best to re-install the OS. :sol: :sol: :sol:
  4. Yes. Fresh clean install is the way to go.
  5. No, you usually don't NEED to. It's probably best to do a clean install and I usually recommend that, but personally, I almost never do a clean install since I change motherboards rather often and there has been no performance or stability issues compared to a clean install.
    You will sometimes have to set your AHCI SATA to Native IDE mode to boot into Windows, then install the AHCI drivers before you can use AHCI mode. You will know if you have to do this, as it will BSOD on boot.
    If your new hardware is TOO different, sometimes even setting to Native IDE won't work and you can't even boot into Safe Mode. In that case, I always do a clean install, but I know there is a way to clean all hardware info out of registry. I think the command was Sysprep? I tried it once and it was a lot of steps, so sometimes a clean install is just less hassle.

Usually, if you go AMD to AMD or Intel to Intel, you're likely to have more success than going AMD to Intel or vice versa.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Windows 7 ASrock