When I right-click on the desktop and choose Properties, the window closes
after 10 seconds. Also happens with various Control Panel apps, and
right-click/My Computer/Properties as well. Any help in fixing this would be
greatly appreciated, I can't un-install anything, change desktop properties,
join a domain, or a host of other things because the windows close before I
can finish!!

amersilly@hotmail.com

Sounds like it's time to check for Malware on your System. Use all of
these free sites.

http://www.download.com/Bazooka-Adware-and-Spyware-Scanner/3640-8022_4-10377953.html?sb=1&v=0

http://www.webroot.com/

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/