Crucial M4 vs. Samsung 840 Pro or OCZ Vector

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskoler

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
So I'm in the market for a new 128GB SSD, and I want to know if it's worth the extra cash to get either an 840 Pro or Vector over an M4. The M4 is $115, and the Vector and 840 Pro are $140.
I'll be using it for mostly gaming (Skyrim with tons of mods that blow the install size up to >20GB), but also other everyday tasks. I'm just skeptical; will it be significantly faster, and will I actually notice a real-world difference? And if so, which one should I choose out of the two?

Thanks a ton for the advice!

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Look at the read/write timings. Also, Toms has some SSD guides right here on the site.

cskoler

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Yes I know that on paper the 840 Pro/Vector is significantly faster than the M4 but I really want to know if I will notice the difference and if it's a difference worth $25 (which, to me, is a significant amount of money).

cskoler

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Really? OK, thanks. Out of curiosity, though, are there any applications where one would see some difference? When would it be worth the $25?

Daedalus12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Solution

madbiker

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I agree with SR-71, I bought a Vector over the weekend.... it lasted about 45 mins sadly. Just enough to clone the previous Corsair P 128 SSD I have.... I started running Skyrim over to the vector using "steam mover" and the drive then went to heaven... I noticed NO speed increase (real world) over my 2 year old Sata III SSD... That said the 840 pro isnt much more than the other drive, I'd consider looking at the 840 (non pro) 256 version... only write speeds are slower

Most of the modern 3rd generation ssd's form a fairly tight performance cluster. The problem with benchmarks is they grossly exaggerate minor differences. You would have to be doing some sort of highly complicated professional or scientific work or something that involved really huge data files to notice a difference.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky located at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

mr91

Distinguished
I suggest you go with the samsung 840 because the overall preformance is faster & the drive is cheaper then the M4.

I disagree with the guy knocking the 840 pro because it's a higher quality drive with incredible sequential and random write speeds, I am able to copy a 8 Gb file in one minute from my network Drive.

galegopc

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Really good info here!!! Great forum, guys!!!!

I have own many OCZ's and pretty happy with speeds. I'm using 2 solid3 120GB RAID0 with outputs around 900MB/s to over 1GB/s. !!!! I'm putting together another RAID0 with two Vertex II's Plus 120GB that will provide the same transfer rates.

Well, just thought this could use this info.

Peace!!

Rhumbah

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

If it is a network drive - Your bottleneck is probably the network still. I am not insulting your input, as that is still an awesome transfer rate, but the SSH should be able to perform much faster than any network connection can. Unless you are on Fiber Channel / 10Gb network of course. a 1Gb network is slower than an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.