Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Crucial M4 vs. Samsung 840 Pro or OCZ Vector

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 23, 2013 8:07:07 PM

So I'm in the market for a new 128GB SSD, and I want to know if it's worth the extra cash to get either an 840 Pro or Vector over an M4. The M4 is $115, and the Vector and 840 Pro are $140.
I'll be using it for mostly gaming (Skyrim with tons of mods that blow the install size up to >20GB), but also other everyday tasks. I'm just skeptical; will it be significantly faster, and will I actually notice a real-world difference? And if so, which one should I choose out of the two?

Thanks a ton for the advice!
January 23, 2013 8:24:06 PM

cskoler said:
So I'm in the market for a new 128GB SSD, and I want to know if it's worth the extra cash to get either an 840 Pro or Vector over an M4. The M4 is $115, and the Vector and 840 Pro are $140.
I'll be using it for mostly gaming (Skyrim with tons of mods that blow the install size up to >20GB), but also other everyday tasks. I'm just skeptical; will it be significantly faster, and will I actually notice a real-world difference? And if so, which one should I choose out of the two?

Thanks a ton for the advice!


Look at the read/write timings. Also, Toms has some SSD guides right here on the site.
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 180 G Storage
January 23, 2013 8:31:02 PM

840 pro...
Score
0
Related resources
January 23, 2013 8:40:43 PM

austing said:
Look at the read/write timings. Also, Toms has some SSD guides right here on the site.

Yes I know that on paper the 840 Pro/Vector is significantly faster than the M4 but I really want to know if I will notice the difference and if it's a difference worth $25 (which, to me, is a significant amount of money).
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 180 G Storage
January 23, 2013 8:42:40 PM

Not worth the 25 bucks not alot of real world difference.
Score
0
January 23, 2013 10:25:24 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Not worth the 25 bucks not alot of real world difference.

Really? OK, thanks. Out of curiosity, though, are there any applications where one would see some difference? When would it be worth the $25?
Score
0
a b G Storage
January 23, 2013 10:27:09 PM

Vector no doubt
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 180 G Storage
January 23, 2013 11:03:36 PM

Not really.
Score
0

Best solution

January 23, 2013 11:16:57 PM

Under most conditions you will most likely not see the difference. For huge file transfers, maybe there will be a difference of 10-15 seconds between them. Since you're using it mostly for gaming, and not transferring large files, you'll never see this difference. My advice is save the $25, and go with the crucial m4.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-520-sandforce-r...
Share
January 23, 2013 11:18:32 PM

I agree with SR-71, I bought a Vector over the weekend.... it lasted about 45 mins sadly. Just enough to clone the previous Corsair P 128 SSD I have.... I started running Skyrim over to the vector using "steam mover" and the drive then went to heaven... I noticed NO speed increase (real world) over my 2 year old Sata III SSD... That said the 840 pro isnt much more than the other drive, I'd consider looking at the 840 (non pro) 256 version... only write speeds are slower
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 180 G Storage
January 23, 2013 11:34:59 PM

I own 1 of each Samsung and they both perform quite well.
Score
0
January 23, 2013 11:45:45 PM

Okay so if I can get the 840 (non-pro) for cheaper than the M4, should I do that?
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 180 G Storage
January 23, 2013 11:47:27 PM

It would be a great choice.Like i stated i own one of each and very happy with both.
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 283 G Storage
January 24, 2013 4:04:15 AM

Most of the modern 3rd generation ssd's form a fairly tight performance cluster. The problem with benchmarks is they grossly exaggerate minor differences. You would have to be doing some sort of highly complicated professional or scientific work or something that involved really huge data files to notice a difference.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky located at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 180 G Storage
January 24, 2013 2:08:49 PM

Check out his database it's quite informative ^
Score
0
January 26, 2013 4:01:03 AM

I suggest you go with the samsung 840 because the overall preformance is faster & the drive is cheaper then the M4.

I disagree with the guy knocking the 840 pro because it's a higher quality drive with incredible sequential and random write speeds, I am able to copy a 8 Gb file in one minute from my network Drive.



Score
0
January 29, 2013 3:23:40 AM

Alright well thanks for the help everyone, I think I'm just going to wait for a deal to show up, I'm not too worried anymore about which one I get (to an extent).
Score
0
January 29, 2013 3:24:29 AM

Best answer selected by cskoler.
Score
0
February 15, 2013 9:26:15 AM

FYI: If ya haven't bought yet... Amazon has the 128GB M4 for $109 and the 840 Pro for $140. Two of the M4's in RAID0 read over 900MB/s.

BTW: Those speeds came from a Tom's Hardware test.
Score
0
February 22, 2013 9:18:43 PM

DegeneratePsycho said:
FYI: If ya haven't bought yet... Amazon has the 128GB M4 for $109 and the 840 Pro for $140. Two of the M4's in RAID0 read over 900MB/s.

BTW: Those speeds came from a Tom's Hardware test.


Really good info here!!! Great forum, guys!!!!

I have own many OCZ's and pretty happy with speeds. I'm using 2 solid3 120GB RAID0 with outputs around 900MB/s to over 1GB/s. !!!! I'm putting together another RAID0 with two Vertex II's Plus 120GB that will provide the same transfer rates.

Well, just thought this could use this info.

Peace!!
Score
0
March 1, 2013 1:20:56 AM

mr91 said:
I suggest you go with the samsung 840 because the overall preformance is faster & the drive is cheaper then the M4.

I disagree with the guy knocking the 840 pro because it's a higher quality drive with incredible sequential and random write speeds, I am able to copy a 8 Gb file in one minute from my network Drive.


If it is a network drive - Your bottleneck is probably the network still. I am not insulting your input, as that is still an awesome transfer rate, but the SSH should be able to perform much faster than any network connection can. Unless you are on Fiber Channel / 10Gb network of course. a 1Gb network is slower than an SSD.
Score
0
a b Ô Samsung
a c 180 G Storage
March 1, 2013 1:22:32 AM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
0
!